Warding off the sneeze demons

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Warding off the sneeze demons

Postby acereraser » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:51 pm

I usually say "Gesundheit" to strangers when they sneeze, for the same reasons I hold doors open and offer directions to lost looking tourists. I prefer "Gesundheit" to "Bless you", but I wondered the other day if these are the only two options. Do other cultures feel compelled to say something after others sneeze?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Warding off the sneeze demons

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Um I think there's an obvious alternative "You are soooo good looking".

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Once a friend of mine said "Na zdrowie" after I sneezed, then explained that it meant the same in Polish as Gesundheit meant in German. I followed up on it some time later and found a fascinating Wikipedia page on the subject. It seems that most cultures go with either the " Godd Bless You" or "To Your Health" routes.

For the record I grew up saying Gesundheit.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:05 pm

"Na zdrowie"

Isn't that also the most common toast in pretty much all of eastern Europe and Russia? I always say "nice driving".

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
"Na zdrowie"

Isn't that also the most common toast in pretty much all of eastern Europe and Russia? I always say "nice driving".

Ya, my friends wife is from the Czech Republic and we say this whenever we're drinking together.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:54 am

wallrock wrote:Once a friend of mine said "Na zdrowie" after I sneezed, then explained that it meant the same in Polish as Gesundheit meant in German. I followed up on it some time later and found a fascinating Wikipedia page on the subject. It seems that most cultures go with either the " Godd Bless You" or "To Your Health" routes.

For the record I grew up saying Gesundheit.

Thanks a bunch for the link. I made a hard copy, which I presented at dinner. It made for good discussion, and the ten-year-old learned a few things about South Africa and languages. Go TDPF!

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:52 pm

When someone sneezes, I usually say "Bless you". After all I am a forum god/goddess. That is unless one sprays, then I say "Cover your mouth."

Return to “Catch All”