Forum God/Goddess

Re: Meatloaf ?

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 pm

He was great in the tenacious d movie.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Try kibbe. It was the nearest thing to meatloaf that I enjoyed – back in my carny days. (The baked version.)

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:20 pm

fennel wrote:Try kibbe. It was the nearest thing to meatloaf that I enjoyed – back in my carny days. (The baked version.)

Them's some pretty fancy vittles for a carny. Unless you jammed a stick all up and in it and made it into a kibbe corndog, I'm thinking this was a serious violation of the carny code.

On the other hand, I'm quite sure you were baked.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:18 pm

bump

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 pm

bdog wrote:I bought a double decker meatloaf pan (so all the fat drains out) at BB&B.

It works good.

I've been looking at those for a couple of months now. Is this the same one that's advertised on TV? I've got one of those 20% off coupons from BB&B and am thinking of purchasing this. Sounds like a better meatloaf not soaking in the meat fat in the bottom of the pan. Oh, and by the way, include me in the A+ positive for meatloaf. I use tomato paste topping with salt & pepper--pretty basic but meat loaf can be SO awesome. Add some creamy mashed potato and green beans... Mmmm.

I have a butcher friend who says meatloaf should be made with a 3-way 1-pound mix of veal, pork and beef. I've made it with venison and/or low fat beef and the results are yum. I don't go for the ground fowl in meatloaf--I like bird meat but in meatloaf that's just wrong.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:08 am

When I was a child my mother put oatmeal in her meatloaf. I think the rest was hamburger and chopped onions. I'm pretty sure this was a Depression-era recipe she used and nobody does it today, but the result was nicely moist and it sliced well for leftovers. My mother was not a stellar cook and this was, after all, the 50's, but the meatloaf tasted fine to little-kid standards.

Count me in today as far as liking good vegetarian versions like the one Monty's uses, along with its lovely cashew gravy.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 am

Lily wrote:I've been looking at those for a couple of months now. Is this the same one that's advertised on TV?

BB&B has 2 different kinds. I got the one that is a full pan within a pan.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 am

snoqueen wrote: mother put oatmeal in her meatloaf ... and nobody does it today

I use old fashioned oats in my meatloaf. I was going for a whole grain approach versus the bread crumbs from the store in the can.

I also grate my onion right over the bowl so the juice drips into the meat mixture.

Bdog, just curious as to why you didn't start this thread under the Food and Cooking issues section?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:52 am

I've never made meatloaf in a pan; I prefer cooking a free-form loaf on a baking sheet, which helps crust more of the meat.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:02 pm

city2countrygal wrote:Bdog, just curious as to why you didn't start this thread under the Food and Cooking issues section?

2 reasons:

- Some smartass would have asked why I started the thread under the Food section.

- I knew I was going to hijack it into a Meatloaf (the singer) thread, so Catch All seemed more appropriate. The hijack did not have legs but at least I found out Meatloaf doesn't like meatloaf.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm

O.J. wrote:I've never made meatloaf in a pan; I prefer cooking a free-form loaf on a baking sheet, which helps crust more of the meat.

That's how my mom always made it, but on a broiler pan, not a baking sheet. You get the drain factor of the dedicated meatloaf pans mentioned upthread, plus more crust. Perfect.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:When I was a child my mother put oatmeal in her meatloaf when . I think the rest was hamburger and chopped onions. \

I use old fashioned oat meal rather than bread crumbs too. It's much easier to add the Old Fashioned OM rather than bread crumbs, and a nice whole grain addition, which are too expensive to buy or too much aggravation to collect.

Love meat loaf. So little time. So many ways to make a wonderful, incredible meat loaf. Mmmmmm.

markkay
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:56 am

I have a great recipe from the Treebeard's cookbook. Treebeard's is in Houston, where I lived for a spell a long time ago (Reagan was president!) and the rookie plate they offered at lunch (half order of jambalaya and a half order of shrimp etouffee) would make me want to take an afternoon nap. The corn bread (made with cheddar cheese, cream corn, and jalepenos) didn't help matters. Anywho, their meatloaf recipe is good. So's the cornbread. I'll send or post the same if anybody's interested. PS huzzah to Monty's meatloaf too!

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Meat loaf recipes are good. Meat heads do not.

Return to “Catch All”