My helpful home tips

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Re: My helpful home tips

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm

If you can't afford to buy organic fruits and vegetables a good wash to remove pesticide residue is soaking your produce in a mixture of water, white vinegar and baking soda. It removes the petroleum based pesticide residue that water alone doesn't. You will be able to taste the difference, as well as see the difference in the tiny little oil slicks left behind in the veggie bath from the removed residue.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 pm

What's the ratio on these three ingredients?

Thanks in advance Average Joe

Ttusker
Forum Addict

Postby Ttusker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Ttusker wrote:
I wonder if she knows where the socks I put in my dryer go....

Same place as mine I'm sure.

In the middle of my sloppily-ass folded sheets.

Nah, I checked. Unfortunately, the guy who'd REALLY know is no longer with us....
Attachments
the_twilight_zone.jpg
the_twilight_zone.jpg (28.36 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:04 am

city2countrygal wrote:What's the ratio on these three ingredients?

Thanks in advance Average Joe

I have a big bowl that I fill with distiller water and then add about 1/2 cup of vinegar and maybe about 1-2 table spoons of baking soda then soak my veggies foe about 15 minutes. I'm not very exact in the measurements. Here is a website that has a mixture recipe but suggests spraying the veggies with it instead of soaking and then rinsing: http://tipnut.com/produce-wash/

Don't be alarmed by the fizzy reaction when the baking soda and vinegar mix.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:02 am

Average Joe wrote:
Don't be alarmed by the fizzy reaction when the baking soda and vinegar mix.

But just to be sensible, don't stand over it with a lit cigarette, either. It's hydrogen, released by a little acid-alkaline reaction in your soda and vinegar solution. It'll drift away quickly.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 am

Ttusker wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:
Ttusker wrote:
I wonder if she knows where the socks I put in my dryer go....

Same place as mine I'm sure.

In the middle of my sloppily-ass folded sheets.

Nah, I checked. Unfortunately, the guy who'd REALLY know is no longer with us....

I have it on good authority, ie a friend of mine knows somebody whose cousin's co-worker fixed his own dryer and put it back together wrong so the drum rotates in the opposite direction, and they keep finding extra socks now.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:44 am

Bwis53 wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should strip my vinyl floor and wax, or if I should wax over it just once. I'm afraid that if I just wax, and it's still marked up, I'll still have to strip and wax. Anyone use those Swiffer mops? Are they any good over sponge?

Swiffer mops give a false sense of clean. Mostly they move dirt around but leave a fresh smell. If you really want to know how to clean a floor, see "Ask a Clean Person" at thehairpin.com, my favorite site. Here is a recent column just on floors:
http://thehairpin.com/2011/09/ask-a-cle ... loors#more
She doesn't address waxing but she does tell you how to clean most floors.
As far as the fitted sheets go, I also learned how to fold fitted sheets. Not from my mom, she couldn't clean a house to save her life, she always had hired help. But some roomate once taught me how. But mostly I leave them on top of the dryer untill I change the sheets. Much easier that way. HOWEVER.... Every now and then I take the sheets out when they are just short of dry (or better yet, line dry them), give them a crisp folding and when they go on the bed they are just heaven to sleep in. So satiny!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Yeah, the sheet thing is close to the way I do it. I blame it on Germanic line up.

Yup, that's how my mom taught me to fold, except Mom's method of nesting the corners is a little more efficient, I think: nest two on each hand, then do the bring-together-and-flip-over move.

She did not, however, teach me to fold t-shirts like this. LOVE this trick. It's fun, and makes for a perfectly flat stack on the shelf. Only downside is that you have to be careful when picking up a folded shirt, since the back isn't a flat surface (one of the sleeves is loose).

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Yeah, the sheet thing is close to the way I do it. I blame it on Germanic line up.

Yup, that's how my mom taught me to fold, except Mom's method of nesting the corners is a little more efficient, I think: nest two on each hand, then do the bring-together-and-flip-over move.

She did not, however, teach me to fold t-shirts like this. LOVE this trick. It's fun, and makes for a perfectly flat stack on the shelf. Only downside is that you have to be careful when picking up a folded shirt, since the back isn't a flat surface (one of the sleeves is loose).

fisticuffs wrote:That was incredible. Still though for my purposes balling it up and throwing it in the closet works just fine.

My sheet-folding technique is a hybrid of Ducastista's mom and fisticuffs. Maybe it's because I have only partial German heritage.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:24 pm

And I just use two flat sheets. I hate the fitted ones and never buy them to begin with. Not Germanic at all, just old-school.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:46 pm

We're the opposite: fitted sheet, no flats. Spent the summer in NL a couple years ago, and my apartment had a duvet, no top sheet. Awesome! Came back and banished all our top sheets to the second bedroom. We've slept Eurostyle ever since.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Some of the newer fitted sheets have elastic all around, making it harder to fold. I just line it up the best I can, so I have a neat stack.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Ducatista wrote:We're the opposite: fitted sheet, no flats. Spent the summer in NL a couple years ago, and my apartment had a duvet, no top sheet. Awesome! Came back and banished all our top sheets to the second bedroom. We've slept Eurostyle ever since.

Here's what annoys me about duvets: No layers to put on or remove as room and body temperatures vary throughout the night. It's either all-comforter or not. How do you handle it?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 am

We use two twin comforters, so it's easy to regulate coverage. Stick a leg out when it's hot, wrap up tight (& maybe wear socks) when it's cold. And I got lucky with the weight I chose—it's amazingly versatile.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 am

I don't know if it matters at all but I water house plants with lukewarm water and I've always had good luck with them.

If you're going to put a ceiling in your basement, make a map of any shut-off valves you may need to use someday, hose faucet, ice-maker line, gas range line, etc, and ideally put in little access panels if you're doing drywall.

Picture hanger hooks are designed to hold things up on the wall, even in drywall. Nails are not.

Chances are you can't really seal your house from access by mice. Keeping a clean house, free of spilled or open or mouse-accessible food is the best defense.

I dry most of my clothes on the lower heat settings just fine (electric dryer). Good air flow through clean venting is what does most of the drying. Flexible accordion style vent pipe catches lint WAY faster than smooth aluminum vent pipe. And if you put one of those little cages on the outside vent hood, check it often for clogging. If you build your deck over your dryer vent you're just asking for trouble.

If you've lost power in an outlet(s) and the breaker isn't thrown, check around for a GFCI outlet (with the test/reset buttons) that may be tripped. If it's on the same breaker as the down outlets that is probably the problem. (Push the reset button)

And a couple tips from a home repair guy perspective:

If someone is coming to look at the plumbing under your kitchen sink and the space is jammed with 45 different cleaning supplies and several hundred paper/plastic bags, empty it out ahead of time.

If someone is coming to caulk your tub, again, remove all the bath products, old soap bars, kids toys, hairy razors, and ESPECIALLY that wad of hair and gook you pulled off the drain 2 months ago and just tossed into the back corner of the tub.

When you are planning your house-surrounding flower gardens, give a little thought to the idea of future maintenance issues and the eventual need of someone to get at the outside of your house, place a ladder, etc..

Return to “Catch All”