Best place to unload LPs?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
markkay
Forum Addict

Best place to unload LPs?

Postby markkay » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:44 pm

The time has finally come to get rid of my record collection, which for more than a few years has sat in a closet in 3 U-haul boxes. I'll borrow a friend's USB turntable and digitize whatever I consider worthwhile. There's nothing collectible (no Beatles butcher covers), so I don't think I've been sitting on buried treasure. Where's the best place in town to get rid of this stuff? Is it even worth hauling this stuff to a used record store, or should just take them all to St. Vinnies?

I considered posting this in the Music forum, but thought Catch All was a better fit.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best place to unload LPs?

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Bob and Kyle.

-Dan Motor

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:59 pm

damn you beat me to it.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:05 pm

***I mean, uh, just throw them away, they're probably not worth anything anyhow....

-Dan Motor

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 am

I saw this thread while Bob and I were emailing ebay auctions for records back and forth. Esmond's in there too. Addiction is not a pretty thing.

Those fellas might chime in as they are better at getting rid of records than I am (to be fair they also acquire WAY more than I do). I had good luck taking some stuff to Half Price Books once (actually got decent money for the sub-mediocre junk I brought in), but that varies widely. I know Bob recently took some decent stuff there and got next to nothing. Depends on who's buying that day.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 am

Don't take them to half price under any circumstances. Last time I took in two crates of relatively interesting titles. They spent an hour looking up (or trying to, since many of them wouldn't have been in there) every one in their price guide, then offered me five bucks for the works. It's pretty hard to make me mad, but that did.

You will get the fairest prices in town from Resale or Mad City.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:58 am

I'd recommend Mad City or Frugal Muse, but I've never sold LPs to Bob & Kyle. If ya'll are interested in mostly non-mainstream '60s-'70s & a bit of '80s stuff, let me know how to contact you.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 am

I sold my serious collectibles to Dave Benson. Taking the rest to Strictly Discs.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:I sold my serious collectibles to Dave Benson. Taking the rest to Strictly Discs.

Do you mean Dave Benton?

I've dealt with the Mad City Dave's for years, Dave Zero has owned it for a couple of years now hasn't he? I think I went to a record sale Mr Benton had at his house a while back tho'.

They've been my first choice for years. I buy way more then I sell so I like that Mad City has a good balance on prices for both buy/sell. Other places MIGHT pay more, but they also can charge way more for the ones I want to buy. So I like dealing with Dave.

I'd echo mini on Resale too.

In a odd twist of fate I was walking in to HPB as mini was walking out on the day mentioned above. And can confirm...he was MAD. I got $6 for a box of junk. You never know what you'll get. They're one of the places that uses a very outdated price guide. But they'll take anything.

I'm not even sure Frugal Muse buys albums anymore.

If you want the most money sell 'em on eBay or craigslist. Or contact one of the folks who's looking to buy records on CL. Usually that's more then I want to deal with and I just take 'em to Mad City or trade 'em to Kyle & Bob.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Right, Benton. Must have been all that Asleep at the Wheel I've been listening to ...

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Any opinions on Sugar Shack? I'm more of a buyer when it comes to LP's, but they seem to have a decent selection and the owner seems pretty knowledgeable.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:15 am

I took a small stack (20-25) to Sugar Shack. I looked them up on ebay first and found most in the $5-$15 range with one @ $20. I know that doesn't really mean a thing but when I got somewhere around 22 cents apiece for them I was a little put off. When I handed them to him (the owner) I said store credit was fine, that I had no problem spending the money there. I'm sure he was laughing inside, thinking "no buddy, no you won't." When I saw he had picked out the ones he wanted (most of them) I walked up to the counter holding 3 cds. When he gave me the grand total for my stuff I felt like an idiot putting 2 back and digging out my wallet.

Maybe that's a normal experience but I honestly would have had more fun seeing how far I could throw them than making that trip. Or just gave them to Vinnies.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 am

dave esmond wrote:[I'm not even sure Frugal Muse buys albums anymore.

They bought mine recently, but with the resale market being kind of a fluid situation, YMMV.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 pm

YMMV?

You may minutely vomit?

Yaks might molest Velma?

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 pm

narcoleptish wrote:YMMV?

You may minutely vomit?

Yaks might molest Velma?

Your mileage may vary-- but I like the one about yaks, too. Who's Velma?

Return to “Catch All”