Forum God/Goddess

Re: Random thoughts

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 pm

I should think many of us will appreciate this comic:

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Cadfael wrote:A page from Carl Sagan’s book The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. 1995.

That is remarkably and depressingly prescient.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:That is remarkably and depressingly prescient.

Agreed, although I think he should've stopped where the highlighted portion ends as he himself looks pretty foolish completely missing the point of Beavis and Butthead.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Agreed, although I think he should've stopped where the highlighted portion ends as he himself looks pretty foolish completely missing the point of Beavis and Butthead.

I don't know about that. I have had enough experience with Beavis and Butthead fans to make me think most of their audience misses the point.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Cadfael wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

I don't know about that. I have had enough experience with Beavis and Butthead fans to make me think most of their audience misses the point.

Really? I can honestly say I've never encountered anyone who thought Beavis and Butthead were role models.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:18 pm

uuuuh uuuh u said roll dude

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Really? I can honestly say I've never encountered anyone who thought Beavis and Butthead were role models.

Sagan didn't call Beavis and Butt-Head role models. He said the show was influential. You wanna find me a credible cultural commentator who disputes that?

(he did get the name wrong, which bugs me)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Did you miss the last sentence, Duca? Sagan clearly believes that people watched Beavis and Butthead to laugh with them, not at them, and again, I've never encountered anyone who approached the show that way.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:39 pm

I think we've always had morons as influences ever since the entertainment industry was widely accessible. The 3 Stooges, and junk like that. What we didn't have then: propaganda channels broadcasting themes of fear, bigotry, racism, blame the poor, etal masquerading as news.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:44 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:I think we've always had morons as influences ever since the entertainment industry was widely accessible. The 3 Stooges, and junk like that. What we didn't have then: propaganda channels broadcasting themes of fear, bigotry, racism, blame the poor, etal masquerading as news.

True. Stupidity always gets laughs, as long as the audience isn't harmed by it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Did you miss the last sentence, Duca? Sagan clearly believes that people watched Beavis and Butthead to laugh with them, not at them, and again, I've never encountered anyone who approached the show that way.

Huh? Which last sentence? Eh, doesn't really matter.

You may've been old enough/smart enough in the 90s to laugh at B&B and appreciate them as cultural satire. But there weren't enough of you to turn them into the massive phenomenon they became. Lots of kids were oblivious to the satire and did laugh with them, not at them. (I'm glad to hear you weren't hanging around with those kids, because unless you're a lot younger than I think you are, that would've been weird.)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Did you miss the last sentence, Duca? Sagan clearly believes that people watched Beavis and Butthead to laugh with them, not at them, and again, I've never encountered anyone who approached the show that way.

Huh? Which last sentence?

Carl Sagan wrote:The plain lesson is that study and learning - not just of science, but of anything - are avoidable, even desirable.

Not really worth a long back and forth here, I just think Sagan's (unnecessary) closing comments about pop culture I don't think he understands, especially after that fantastic highlighted parts of that paragraph, come off like a tone-deaf old man screaming for the kids to get off his lawn.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:57 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:What we didn't have then: propaganda channels broadcasting themes of fear, bigotry, racism, blame the poor, etal masquerading as news.

The ghost of William Randolph Hearst is laughing his ass off right now.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:52 pm

I wonder if Sagan had a chance to see "Idiocracy". He died in 2006, the year it was released.

Return to “Catch All”