TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Random thoughts

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:32 pm

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:17 pm

I wonder if the dynamic brain trust behind the Packers ave construction traffic management plan has ever bothered to drive through their creation? Turning left onto Packers from the airport they have 2 lanes converging into 1 right in the middle of the turn and the Commercial ave. intersection has been the biggest clusterfuck for months. What's with that gravel area on Commercial on the north side of the intersection? The craters in there cause traffic to travel at about minus 2 mph. Throw down some more fucking gravel.

Maybe this has something to do with the absolute extinction of patience on that street where EVERYbody except me is going 10-over through 2 miles of construction. There's a lot of double-fine money being missed out on over there.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 pm

My tds modem went kaput Sunday morning. A new one is enroute. It didn't occur to me until tonight that maybe my old (ATT) modem was in my old box of wires (along with the right plug). I don't save alot of crap but I raised and married nerds so I've got a box of wires etc. Faster than my call to tds I was back up!

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:01 am

narcoleptish wrote:Turning left onto Packers from the airport they have 2 lanes converging into 1 right in the middle of the turn...

Actually, there were two lanes to enter. Most of the time, they were split by the median (left lane adjacent to northbound traffic, right lane to the right of the median). I almost got hit there several times because people seemed to be unaware of this and tried to merge into my lane. Was it you?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 am

That intersection confused me too. You're telling me the two left-turn lanes that converge into one are actually... what??

I always drive the rightmost lane because I want to allow fast people a space to pass me. When I stayed in the rightmost right-turn lane (that makes sense, OK?) it vanished and I had to merge some way with the right turn lane to my left. (That makes sense too.)

I gotta go out there and try it again. Whatever it is, it's not obvious to the innocent driver.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 am

It's much better now. Both left turn lanes go to the right of the median (as is normally the case).

During construction, there were many times (ok, most of the time) when the leftmost left-turn lane (from "westbound" International to southbound Packers) stayed to the left of the median on Packers (on the east side of the median, adjacent to the northbound lanes). This lane was separated form northbound traffic by those orange construction poles. If you were in this lane, you ended up driving to the left of the median, with only orange poles separating you from northbound Packers traffic. Only the rightmost of the left-turn lanes would actually go to the right of the median, where the southbound lanes normally are. There was only one southbound lane on the "normal" side of the median.

In other words, the two left-turn lanes (from "westbound" International to southbound Packers) would end up getting split by the median on Packers. As you approached Aberg on southbound Packers, the two lanes would become adjacent again (that is, no longer separated by the median), just before the right lane is right-turn only at Aberg, by Oscar's.

The electronic sign on International Lane, as you approached the intersection with Packers, was programmed with warnings regarding the current configuration of left turn lanes at the intersection. The key was to watch the lines on the road, as the sign often stated. They changed them as the configuration changed (left turn lane lines weren't painted, but the adhesive temporary ones)

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:37 am

HATE the phrase "too clever by half." Nails on the verbal chalkboard. It's a neat trick, though, the way it demonstrates the quality it condemns. Same with "twee."

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Ducatista wrote:Same with "twee."

Get with the times, D.

In this modern world, 'twee' means 'Twitter Interuptus.'

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:43 am

jman111 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Turning left onto Packers from the airport they have 2 lanes converging into 1 right in the middle of the turn...

Actually, there were two lanes to enter. Most of the time, they were split by the median (left lane adjacent to northbound traffic, right lane to the right of the median). I almost got hit there several times because people seemed to be unaware of this and tried to merge into my lane. Was it you?

i remember standing on that median at election time years ago and on other occasions as well. fuck! that's gone too? what's next? state street?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:49 am

Marvell wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Same with "twee."

Get with the times, D.

In this modern world, 'twee' means 'Twitter Interuptus.'

Damn you, Mr M. You're too clever by half.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Ducatista wrote:HATE the phrase "too clever by half." Nails on the verbal chalkboard. It's a neat trick, though, the way it demonstrates the quality it condemns. Same with "twee."

Standard disclaimer: I'm not saying this about you in particular, it's just (very) loosely related.

I've always found the phrase "pedantic" is also far more likely to be employed by pedants against people that it really doesn't fit.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 am

I just might reset my clocks today.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 am

bdog wrote:I just might reset my clocks today.

In which direction?

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:53 pm

To the east?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:06 am

Maybe he reset them to run anticlockwise. That would be kind of cool.

Return to “Catch All”