Food grade diatomaceous earth

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
towanda
Forum Addict

Food grade diatomaceous earth

Postby towanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Is there anywhere locally to buy food-grade diatomaceous earth? I struck out today at Home Depot and Dorn Hardware on Midvale.

Swimming-pool-filter-grade DE won't work. It needs to be food-grade.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Food grade diatomaceous earth

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 am

Food grade or garden grade? Try Jungs, The Bruce Company, etc.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am

I'd like a big ol' steaming bowl of diatomaceous earth...

I buy plain old diatomaceous earth at Jungs. Been using it on my vegetable garden for years with no ill effects. At least not on us humans, I hope it causes the slugs an excrutiatingly slow, painful death.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:22 am

When I read the title, all I could think of was pica.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:43 pm

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:22 pm

I need food grade. It's for indoor use. I'll try calling Bruce Company and Jungs tomorrow. Thanks!

(It doesn't do you any harm to eat food grade diatomaceous earth. It's often added to grains and flours to kill the things that like to live in them. Wear a dust mask when pouring or applying it, though.)

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 am

And it's a common ingredient in toothepaste.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm

towanda wrote:I need food grade. It's for indoor use. I'll try calling Bruce Company and Jungs tomorrow. Thanks!

(It doesn't do you any harm to eat food grade diatomaceous earth. It's often added to grains and flours to kill the things that like to live in them. Wear a dust mask when pouring or applying it, though.)

I have to ask...what are you planning to use it for, indoors? Insect control, or are you actually adding it to food, or what? I learned something new today...

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:15 am

Violet_Skye wrote:I have to ask...what are you planning to use it for, indoors? Insect control, or are you actually adding it to food, or what? I learned something new today...

Indoors. Some ants have appeared in my kitchen, and I want to see if this will be effective before I call the landlord in to spray a bunch of crap that will necessitate my cat and me going elsewhere for several hours. I've had good luck with DE for ants in other apartments.

Right now I have cinnamon down, which is keeping the ants at bay (it doesn't kill them) and makes my kitchen smell nice, but the cinnamon also makes the places where it's sprinkled look dirty.

I didn't get a chance to call Jungs or Bruce Company yesterday, but I will try them today.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:54 pm

You might want to consider trying borax.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:39 pm

In my experience the only way to be rid of ants is find out where they are coming from. If they are coming from outside and you find a little hole that is letting them in, all you need is a small size tube of silicone caulk to plug the hole. They follow the same path over and over so you just have to disrupt that path.

I would be surprised if ants are coming in this early in the year. I bet they are coming from elsewhere in your building.

If they are coming from someone else's apartment in the building and you can't talk that person into cooperating, then I guess it's call-the-landlord time.

But killing the ants in your apartment where they are seeking food is just a temporary fix, because the source is the ant colony where the queen ant is located.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 pm

In the duplex we lived in, every spring around Easter, the ants would arrive. They would swarm the kitchen counters and sink. It was an annual thing, they would be there for a couple weeks and then disappear again til next year. I was never able to locate an entry point, it was an older wooden house and there could have been a million places for an ant to sneak in. I'm trying to remember what we did about them; I remember trying a number of things. Nothing really worked that well, so I think we finally just went the route of killing the ones we saw and tucking those little ant traps here and there until they left on their own as they always did. It was a very cyclical and self limiting issue.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:42 pm

I didn't have ants last year, and my kitchen does not abut any outside walls, so I suspect that they are coming from a neighbor's apartment.

If I can't find any DE, I'll try some borax. It looks like diatomaceous earth works about the same way that borax does.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Don't fret, just think of it as a free-range ant farm.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:24 pm

If you can locate the area where the ants are coming in try lemon scented dishwashing liquid (not dishwasher detergent.) A thin line of the liquid is all it takes, the ants don't cross it. Cheap, non-toxic, and easily removeable.

Return to “Catch All”