Save a tree, kill the Shopper Stopper!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Save a tree, kill the Shopper Stopper!

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 pm

I think the mailman doesn't understand why I don't get a Shopper Stopper like everyone else. I'll get wads of loose couponage with no address on it, almost like consolation for them losing my Stopper.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:49 pm

After 15 years, I finally got around to doing this. While the wait was long, the call was painless. I then set my sights on THE Great Dane.

I searched the web for a while finding all sorts of dodgy sites, as I didn't have the paper in front of me and they don't have a proper website, until coming across a phone number. (608-845-9559) The woman who answered sounded nice. Scared, but nice.

"It seems" she said, "the post office has" (I kind of stopped paying attention at this point)some sort of regulation about items being addressed and blah blah. This somehow results in The Great Dane's inability to stop sending me the stuff they want recycled. "You should call your post office."

Post office, once again pleasant person, says "bulk email" (stopped listening again) ...bulk email...something again about it not having an addressee... essentially, t.s.

At some point something like this was said:

"We call up X and ask them how many they want, and we send it to them." Either the post office or the paper, I can't remember.

So someone has control. Until then, I remain their captive.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 am

So, is anyone else now getting the "YES!" (Your Essential Shopper) from WSJ thrown on their lawn/driveway?

I've called and "cancelled" (not that we ever asked for it in the first place). I was assured it won't happen again. Ever.

I asked her to pass on a message to whomever is responsible- if I get even one more of these in the yard I will start personally delivering my trash to their property. I guess I've become the grumpy old bastard in the neighborhood that we used to hate as kids.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:33 am

I was then it stopped. I was equally as pissed off. It amounts to throwing litter on my lawn. Who reads that shit anyway?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:55 pm

I started getting the shopper stopper again this month so called and the customer rep said it will stop. I will see. Here's their info again:

Madison Newspapers Customer Service:
252-6363 then press 5 (for other). then press 4 (speak to customer rep).

Not sure if the email still works but you can try:

Shorty wrote:You can stop the shopper stopper by email, also: customerservice@madison.com

http://www.capitalnewspapers.com/about/contact.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:25 pm

The littering of my lawn with their plastic crap pisses me off as well (I'm turning into a Clint Eastwood caricature --- but unfortunately not from his early films). For a while I would collect a bunch of advertisements in the neighborhood and then drop them off at the address of the perpetrator with a little note attached ---- just to see how they like having their property littered without their consent.

However, I found there is a better way to deal with this. Make them come out and pick it up themselves! They have until 6 pm of the following day to pick that crap up or risk a fine.
You have the Madison city ordinances on your side, specifically 23.02 2(c) & (d)

(2) No person, firm, corporation or organization shall place any commercial advertising material upon any private property except in compliance with the following:
(c) All unclaimed material shall be collected by the distributor or her/his agent by 6:00 p.m. on the day following the day of distribution;
(d) No distribution of such material shall be made to any private dwelling if the owner or the occupant thereof gives notice in any reasonable manner that s/he does not wish to receive such material;

Return to “Catch All”