Hygiene

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Hygiene

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:47 pm

I haven't worked or showered since Friday and my own smell disgusts me. I smell like a horse, but in a disgusting-sexy way. Tomorrow, I'll wake up and lather up some Irish Spring and then go to work. But for now, I smell a kin to hay. I just wanted to share.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hygiene

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:09 pm

white_rabbit wrote:II'll wake up and lather up some Irish Spring and then go to work.
I guarantee you that you will smell worse after Irish Spring than before.

(But if you're going to do it anyway, you many want to complete the effect with a little hair gel and a polo shirt.)

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

fennel wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:II'll wake up and lather up some Irish Spring and then go to work.
I guarantee you that you will smell worse after Irish Spring than before.

(But if you're going to do it anyway, you many want to complete the effect with a little hair gel and a polo shirt.)

I shamefully admit, I do use Axe deodorant, but just a little spray, no dousing. And I use hair product. And wear polo shirts.
Last edited by white_rabbit on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:20 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Did I Axed you for you opinion?
Pro bono wisdom, dude. Better late than never.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Dear God, I just flicked my lighter to smoke up my bong and I ignited a fireball that peeled the paint off my walls. I need some soap and an intervention.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Get thee to Willy Coop or Community Pharmacy and buy some mint shower gel.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:20 am

OK, I just showered and shaved and the hoarse smell is gone, I only used one or two sprays of Axe spray in the under arms and I'm back to work in 6 hours or so. But my weekend of hibernating in my man cave was enjoyable. Back to reality in a few ticks of the clock. By the way, my soap of choice is Dove that I lather up with a scrunchy, not Irish Spring. I just thought Irish Spring sounded more manly.
Last edited by white_rabbit on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:40 am

Speaking of cosmetics, if any of you are paranoid about the increasing amounts of chemicals in every day household products, you should check out this website:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/
Or just google "skin deep" if that link doesn't work.
You can enter any product into the search bar, and it will tell you what level of known cancer causing agents it contains.
On a 1 to 10 scale (10 is very bad), Axe body spray scored a 4 (moderate risk.)
Irish Spring also got a 4.
Dove scored a 5.
Fascinating, I know, but sometimes useful to make sure that your toothpaste doesn't have endocrine disruptors...

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:58 am

Thanks for the link. Actually, Dove Beauty Bar that I use is a three, but I see my Colgate toothpaste is a six.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:21 am

The Colgate's downfall is probably the sodium lauryl sulfate. It's in most toothpastes and shampoos as a foaming agent. It is also commonly used in floor cleaners and engine degreasers...

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:27 am

white_rabbit wrote:Thanks for the link. Actually, Dove Beauty Bar that I use is a three, but I see my Colgate toothpaste is a six.

You should check out the natural aisle at Woodmans, or the Coop. I think they even carry "Tom's" products at Walgreens now.
To each his/her own, but if you really care about the environment you need to stop buying the big brands laced with chemicals. I've been using Toms and Natures Gate toothpaste for years now and Colgate tastes sweet to me due to all the additives.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 am

Excellent suggestion. I actually need to get into the habit of picking up natural/eco friendly items when I wander over to Community Pharmacy to pick up my supplements.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Exceptions? NONE!!!

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:13 pm

Dr. Bronner's, y'all.

Remember:

We're ALL-ONE or none! Okay?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Tom's of Maine
Manufacturer: Colgate-Palmolive Company

Ingredients used by this brand:
[X] Cancer
[X] Developmental/reproductive toxicity
[X] Violations, restrictions & warnings
[X] Allergies/immunotoxicity
[X] Other concerns for ingredients used by this brand:
Neurotoxicity, Endocrine disruption, Persistence and bioaccumulation,Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Miscellaneous, Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Enhanced skin absorption, Contamination concerns, Occupational hazards.

Jeez. They use all those "ingredients"?

Methinks the naturalists doth protest too much. This much is true: unless we all start rubbing cinnamon on our gums and limes in our crotches and armpits, we're going to have to fight off our animal stink with chemicals or just give up and embrace them. Those are the three options.

If even the "good" companies still have all these risks, what hope is there for any sort of victory against the forces of putrefaction?

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:07 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Tom's of Maine
Manufacturer: Colgate-Palmolive Company

If even the "good" companies still have all these risks, what hope is there for any sort of victory against the forces of putrefaction?

I guess I did hear that Tom's was bought out a few years ago. That will happen to even good brands when taken over by chemical manufacturers. There are a couple Tom's flavors that rank as 1 on the list and that is still better than Colgate's 6 ranking.

I checked the Nature's Gate toothpaste I use and although someone named Debra Lynn Dadd's blog does not speak very highly of it she does admit using it is much better than using a standard supermarket brand. The cosmeticsdatabase lists it as a 1 = low hazard.

I'm not ready to start brushing my teeth with baking soda and realize very little in our world is pristine, but if you look at the big picture you can eliminate a lot by choosing and buying the eco-friendly brands to some extent.

And some people brush with Colgate all their life and live to be over 100 so sometimes it's the "if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger" theory.

Return to “Catch All”