Lent

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Lent

Postby Renee Gabel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:07 pm

It's pretty obvious Mardi Gras is Persona Non Mardi Grata in Madison but that doesn't reflect our commitment to the higher powers that be.

In this season of abstention......irregardless (i love that non word!) of our ignorarrogance of Mardis Gras in this town, what are you abstaining to make things right with God this year?

For me, the next forth days and nights. Alcohol and flesh.

Anyone else here taking God's will seriously?

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lent

Postby Stomach » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:55 pm

I'll be abstaining from zydeco music for as long as possible, probably until I inadvertently cross paths with it.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 pm

I quit biting my nails for Lent some years back and stayed quit. The nail-biting abstention actually has lasted much longer than that particular period of churchgoing. Glad something good came of it.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 pm

I can't understand a single thing the OP posted originally, but how can anyone say this city doesn't take Lent seriously? Arby's is serving fish, for Christ's sake!

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 am

Renee Gabel wrote:It's pretty obvious Mardi Gras is Persona Non Mardi Grata in Madison...

Sadly true, for the most part. There are some halfhearted attempts at parties by local establishments, but nothing to approximate the true festival. Irrrrrregardless, I still had gumbo and jambalaya tonight at the Fitchburg Dane. Tasty, but sadly without awesome parades and kick-ass live music.

Renee Gabel wrote:Anyone else here taking God's will seriously?

Hm. Well, I'm planning to avoid killing, stealing, adulterating (well, unless someone makes an offer I can't refuse), worshipping a false idol (I don't even watch the show), coveting my neighbor's wife (boy howdy am I avoiding her), ass (ditto), or pretty much anything of my neighbors' (except maybe that lawn flamingo, but that's for a warmer night), and I will most certainly not work on Sundays.

No such promises on taking the Lord's name in vain (waaay too much fun).

Does that count?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am

Really, is there anything more self-indulgent than abstinence? (Only Puritans can masturbate in public.)

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 am

Renee Gabel wrote: ... irregardless (i love that non word!) ...

You're going to Hell.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 am

I love Mardi Gras, in NOLA. Half-assed local attempts re: Carnivale and Mardi Gras are just that.

I too will be abstaining from goofy old guys playing warmed over zydeco, donning purple, green and gold beads, and trying to find the baby inside the king cake I bought in a Madison bakery.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I can't understand a single thing the OP posted originally, but how can anyone say this city doesn't take Lent seriously? Arby's is serving fish, for Christ's sake!

Yeah, we're talking about a place where Friday night fishfry is an institution.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:39 am

Thank Jeebus, the Brewers home opener falls on Good Friday this year. If He smites me for each Polish I consume, I'll be in deep trouble.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:10 pm

I would think any Christian who took the will of God seriously would have nothing to do with the gluttonous overindulgence that is usually associated with Mardi Gras and Carnivale.

Mardi Gras is a loophole for people (Christians and Catholics in particular) to party like Romans for a few days leading up to Ash Wednesday.

People may be adhering to the letter of the (church)law by giving something up after Fat Tuesday but certainly not the spirit of it as it were.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Those who party like Romans leading up to Lent, and then abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent, are the individuals who really understand what Christ was all about.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Jesus was all about binging and purging? Who knew?

The uptight Lutherans who schooled me never mentioned the "it's ok to party to excess leading up to Lent" doctrine to me. Party Poopers. Maybe it's just a Catholic thing.

I had to figure out the partying stuff on my own. :lol:

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:07 pm

mifflander wrote:
Mardi Gras is a loophole for people (Christians and Catholics in particular) to party like Romans for a few days leading up to Ash Wednesday.

The Catholic faith is all about the loopholes. For example, during lent it is not verboten to indulge in the item you have given up for lent on Sundays.

Another loophole example--A few years back St Patrick's day fell on a Friday. Some bishops gave special dispensations to eat meat on that Friday and enjoy the traditional corn beef and cabbage, others did not. So basically, it would be a sin to eat meat in Green Bay but if you traveled to Milwaukee you could enjoy your corn beef and not have to list it as a sin during confession.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:47 pm

People who believe in fairy tales and follow weird culinary dogma are cute.

Return to “Catch All”