Lama Ole Buddhist Lecture @ Monona Terrace

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
madelyn

Lama Ole Buddhist Lecture @ Monona Terrace

Postby madelyn » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm

If anybody is interested in learning more about Buddhism, on Monday, Nov 26 there will be a lecture at the Monona Terrace by a great Buddhist teacher. His name is Ole Nydahl and he is an amazing person. What's special about him is that he is both western and a qualified lama, so his teachings are especially relevant to our daily lives. I have been to some of his lectures here in Madison and elsewhere in the world. He travels the globe twice per year and is in a different city almost each day. I encourage you to check out this fascinating opportunity.
Last edited by madelyn on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Holt

I agree

Postby Adam Holt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 pm

I also saw him last year, and a few years back, and they were really nice lectures.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:44 pm

I've heard many good things about him over the years, but I chuckle a little everytime I hear "Buddhist Lama" and "Ole Nydahl" in the same sentence. I can't help but admit that it conjures up a "Golden Girls" type image of Betty White talking about St. Olaf's buddhist lama, Ole Nydahl.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:39 am

white_rabbit wrote:St. Olaf's buddhist lama, Ole Nydahl.

but where's Lena, der hey?

Ole and Lena got married. On their honeymoon trip they were nearing Minneapolis when Ole put his hand on Lena's knee. Giggling, Lena Said, "Ole, you can go farther if ya vant to"... so Ole drove to Duluth.

jessica

Buddhist Lama Ole Nydahl

Postby jessica » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 am

I have seen Lama Ole each time he has come to Madison. I remember one year he was scheduled to lecture at the University and there were some complications with the fire alarms. The lecture got interrupted and everyone had to go outside. Lama Ole continued his lecture outside on the Union Terrace. He was just so amazing and so captivating out there,always making sure he was loud enough for the few hundred people who had stayed to listen to him. Eventually we all got to go back inside to finish the lecture, but he really made an impression on me.

adamgoody

Vegetarian Buddhists?

Postby adamgoody » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:31 pm

So do the Dalai Lama and Lama Ole both eat meat? Is it that they go to Sizzler or just have a little? I just had a brilliant tuna fish sandwich and it seems okay. I heard a lama say once that even drinking tea think of all the bugs that were killed. And it's not like I'm having a cow, man. I'm sure I can think of more questions for Lama Ole if we'll have time at the end. I missed the fire alarm show a the Union, damn.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Buddhist Lama Ole Nydahl

Postby bluethedog » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:27 pm

jessica wrote:I have seen Lama Ole each time he has come to Madison. I remember one year he was scheduled to lecture at the University and there were some complications with the fire alarms. The lecture got interrupted and everyone had to go outside. Lama Ole continued his lecture outside on the Union Terrace. He was just so amazing and so captivating out there,always making sure he was loud enough for the few hundred people who had stayed to listen to him. Eventually we all got to go back inside to finish the lecture, but he really made an impression on me.

Wow, he actually walked outside and then...talked? That IS amazing. No ordinary human coulda done that.

Oh 1 post wonder(s), this belongs in hype exchange, same as any other "community event".

I'm going to go and I'll report back. But unless he levitates or spontaneously combusts and rises from his own ashes I'll reserve "amazing" for something that really deserves it.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:58 pm

C'mon! Isn't anyone going to join today and tell me how good this is?? Let's not break the streak today!

madelyn

Lama Ole

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Actually, the only other person to speak at the Union Terrace steps was Martin Luther King Jr.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:36 pm

I threw up on those steps once, does that count?

(It was amazing).

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lama Ole

Postby fennel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:08 pm

madelyn wrote:Actually, the only other person to speak at the Union Terrace steps was Martin Luther King Jr.

No, it was J.F.K. ... Oh wait. Sorry. Wrong Union.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:52 am

Confirm time and location?

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:43 am

Bwis53 wrote:Confirm time and location?

Guessing a little, but had to be October 1983, pretty close to Park St. but not exactly sure.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:48 pm

bluethedog wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Confirm time and location?

Guessing a little, but had to be October 1983, pretty close to Park St. but not exactly sure.

Monday, Nov 26

No, I mean, now, time of day, and confirm, where, at Monona Terrace.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:56 pm

From http://www.diamondway.org/madison/lamaolenov2007/

Buddhist lecture “The Way Things Areâ€Â

Return to “Catch All”