Seeking suggestion for lighting store.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Forum God/Goddess

Seeking suggestion for lighting store.

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:02 am

I'm looking for a high quality floor lamp (for reading and possibly general lighting) that -- let's say -- I expect to last for 15-20 years. But I'm leery of conventional lighting stores, since their offerings seem to be at fantastically inflated prices -- though of only marginally higher quality.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy locally? I'm looking for good quality but am not keen on paying boutique prices. I came across, but I don't have a sense of their quality. They're based in Outer Madison but make no mention of a showroom on their website.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:39 am

What about the Century House? Might not be your style, but worth checking out anyways, as they have a lot of great stuff.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:51 am

Century House is unique and local but 'boutique prices' are definitely the norm there.

I haven't been there yet but this place has a showroom in Madison:

There's also a 25% off coupon on their website.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Try Jacobs Lighting on S Park St. I got a lamp fixed there and was fascinated by the old lamps they have sitting around for sale. Many of them are probably 50 years old now, and that old guy has spruced them up like new. I'm willing to bet they will last another 20 with no problem.

They also have all sorts of shades and globes for lights.

Or, you could go to an estate sale or house sale. Lights are pretty basic. Not much to go wrong as long as no one hits it with a baseball bat.

Return to “Catch All”