How Do Your Children's Friends Address You?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

How Do Your Children's Friends Address You?

Postby john_titor » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:23 pm

I was always raised with Mr. Titor and Mrs. Titor.

Now it seems it is, "Hi, John!"

You and yours?

Pjones

Postby Pjones » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:39 am

I don't have any kids, but in my younger days, I always took my cue from my friends and/or their parents. I usually defaulted to Sir and Ma'am. My friends just generally called my parents Mom and Dad since they were over so often that they may as well have been family.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:02 pm

Some call me Oprah. Some call me Mr. Winfrey.

I prefer that the Mr./Ms./Mrs. thing be dropped. The same for the Uncle/Aunt thing. Not that my kids' friends call be Uncle Oprah, but rather for my nieces, who call me Uncle, not Aunt, Oprah.

In summary, I prefer to be called Oprah. Or Stallion. Not that I want my kids' friends or my nieces to call me Stallion, but rather I'd like to be called Stallion by Steadman or any of the lovely ladies out there, or for that matter any ladies out there. And I guess I'd be fine if a dude referred to me as Stallion, but I'd pefer the dude to be good looking (and athletic and built), not just some hornball slouch.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:26 pm

Oprah wrote:...Steadman...

So how is it that you always spell his name incorrectly?

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:35 pm

massimo wrote:
Oprah wrote:...Steadman...

So how is it that you always spell his name incorrectly?

I fucked up on my first use and never bothered to correct it. To justify my mistake in my pretend world here, I tell myself that the feminine of Stedman is Steadman, but then what's the masculine of Oprah. Great, I fucked up that, too. Fuck up upon fuck up upon fuck up.

Have a nice weekend.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:59 pm

Oprah wrote:what's the masculine of Oprah.

Harpo.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:27 pm

Dammit. I thought this not only a witty topic but was truly interested in the results.

Could some of you ask your breeder/older/younger friends?

I will buy a drink for every response!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Oprah wrote:Fuck up upon fuck up upon fuck up.

That's hot.

I don't have kids, but here's how I did it as a snapper: I followed the lead of my contact with the elder. My mom (who was 44 years older than I) called her friends by their first names, so I did, too, even when I was young. My friends called their parents "Mom" and "Dad," so I called them Mr. or Mrs. Still do, in fact. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time referring to my in-laws by their first names. (And I'll be damned if I'll call my mother-in-law "Mom," as she'd like. She's younger than two of my sisters, fer chrissake.)

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:41 pm

To my two nieces and my nephew, I am 'Uncle G.'

To all the rest of the local east-side brood, I'm just 'G.' As in, 'chase us, G!' Or, 'watch this, G!'

I feel honored. Not many adults are deemed letter-worthy.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:28 pm

I prefer to be called by my first name. Anything else just seems way to formal and standoffish.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:17 pm

First name... unless I'm coaching, in which case it's "Coach Jason," which I find hilarious.

I think "Mr." is outdated for just about everyone, kids included, unless you're at a school. In Madison, a kid often doesn't have the same name as his/her mom/dad.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:06 am

jjoyce wrote:
I think "Mr." is outdated for just about everyone,

Really? I don't know, it seems abit too much Brady bunch (Mike, Carol).

I always thought it a sign of respect. When I visit my friends parents, it is always Mr and Mrs., and I am 40.

Sign of the times?

I don't want to be a dick and make my kid's friends call me Mr. Titor, but I don't want the terrorist to win either.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:38 am

It seems to me that the best option is to educate your children to ask — either via an intermediary or the parent, directly, "How do you prefer to be addressed?" When I was a kid, I realized I had to do this to avoid stepping on toes. Some of my friends' parents were horrified by the honorific of "Mr." or "Mrs." But others were offended by the implied familiarity if it was not used. Yet nobody was offended by my asking.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:59 am

john_titor wrote:I always thought it a sign of respect.

Just because they call you mister doesn't mean they respect you. My dad insisted my friends call him by his first name and they appreciated it and interacted with him on a friendly basis, whereas we went out of our way to avoid other dads with whom we had a more formal relationship.

Today, when my dad runs into one of my old pals, they actually converse.

Also this: A few of my son's friends don't have dads in the picture. I'm not trying to take anyone's place, but I feel like they deserve a little bit of a break and if they can pal around with an older, adult male figure, that's probably a good thing. We're not in the army and I certainly haven't done anything to earn their respect just by being 30 years older. In their case, there's no reason to respect someone just because he's an adult male.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:01 am

The important thing is what they call you behind your back.

Return to “Catch All”