Kinda Fun: Vote For The Hottest Lesbian

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:28 am

Harriet The Spy wrote:I am so sick of those bony L Word faux-dykes. Ble-e-e-ch!

Preach!

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Harriet The Spy wrote:No Abby Wambach? No Chrissie Gephardt? Okay, I'm voting for Lea Delaria because she's the only true butch woman on the list.

These choices were definitely made either by straight men or by the editors of Curve magazine. I am so sick of those bony L Word faux-dykes. Ble-e-e-ch!

As someone with numerous lesbian friends, mostly of the femme variety, I can tell you that this poll has made the rounds amongst all of them and they all find most of these women super hot. Believe me, there are a sizeable number of gay women out there who are not turned on by butchy types in the slightest.

Harriet The Spy
Forum Addict

Postby Harriet The Spy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:34 pm

aaron wrote:As someone with numerous lesbian friends, mostly of the femme variety, I can tell you that this poll has made the rounds amongst all of them and they all find most of these women super hot. Believe me, there are a sizeable number of gay women out there who are not turned on by butchy types in the slightest.

As a life-long lesbian, I find all kinds of lesbians attractive -- butch, femme, and in-between -- as long as they don't look like skinny-ass straight women bowing to male standards of beauty. I like my women to be a bit more on the rebellious side. For most lesbians, it's more about attitude than appearance. That's why we're willing to look past the flannel shirts and birkies to see the brazen woman within.

And, anyway, Aaron, why are you so invested in what constitutes a "hot" lesbian?

Cogitator

Lesbian attraction

Postby Cogitator » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:46 pm

Harriet The Spy wrote:I find all kinds of lesbians attractive -- butch, femme, and in-between -- as long as they don't look like skinny-ass straight women bowing to male standards of beauty. I like my women to be a bit more on the rebellious side.

we're willing to look past the flannel shirts and birkies to see the brazen woman within.

... pretty sure my girlfriend will forgive me ...

I think I love you, Spygirl.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:55 pm

"And, anyway, Aaron, why are you so invested in what constitutes a "hot" lesbian?"

Not "invested", just commenting. I find lesbian sexuality rather interesting. Have listened several times to discussions amongst my friends about the whole "butch/femme" syndrome that seems to exist among so many lesbians (unlike most gay men, who seem to go for similar types as themselves).

While not in total agreement, many of them seem to find the phenomenon strange (at least the femme ones do, anyway). Maybe because most of them have, in the past, been involved with men and now the last thing they want in a partner is someone who is even slightly reminiscent of the more masculine demeanor that they no longer are find attractive.

One femme woman I know who is quite beautiful (and a lifelong lesbian) says that when she was a little girl, she used to look at magazines like Glamour and Cosmo, etc. and was not only very attracted to the models she saw in them, she wanted to BE them. So she is particularly puzzled about the butch/femme thing.

However, I'll say it again: My dear old grandma used to say "There's a lid for every pot", and that is certainly true.

Harriet The Spy
Forum Addict

Postby Harriet The Spy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:27 pm

Aaron, it sounds to me like you're hanging out with mostly 20-something lipstick lesbians. Don't assume they represent the majority of the lesbian nation. Even they themselves are likely to change their views as they mature.

I appreciate that you're trying to understand us, but you do seem to be very caught up in the notion of beauty as defined by magazines such as Glamour and Cosmo. Again, those are male standards of beauty, even though many women, including some lesbians, have bought into them.

I participated in a discussion among lesbians and gay men on this very topic about 25 years ago. The gay men could just not get their minds around what sort of women lesbians found attractive. Finally, one woman got exasperated and said, "What would it take to help men understand that women don't usually view other people as body parts?"

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:34 pm

Harriet The Spy wrote:Aaron, it sounds to me like you're hanging out with mostly 20-something lipstick lesbians. Don't assume they represent the majority of the lesbian nation. Even they themselves are likely to change their views as they mature.

I appreciate that you're trying to understand us, but you do seem to be very caught up in the notion of beauty as defined by magazines such as Glamour and Cosmo. Again, those are male standards of beauty, even though many women, including some lesbians, have bought into them.

I participated in a discussion among lesbians and gay men on this very topic about 25 years ago. The gay men could just not get their minds around what sort of women lesbians found attractive. Finally, one woman got exasperated and said, "What would it take to help men understand that women don't usually view other people as body parts?"

Thanks for your well thought out response, Harriet. I'm sure you are correct on many levels, as you certainly know more about it than I do. However, the gay women I know are not 20-something lipstick lesbians, they are mostly 30/40-something lipstick lesbians, and I can only go by the things I hear them say. Maybe times are changing, I don't know. But just like with gay men, one can hardly make a blanket statement such as "what sort of women lesbians find attactive." I would amend that to read: "What sorts of women 'some' lesbians find attractive."

Cheers.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Harriet The Spy wrote:.... the notion of beauty as defined by magazines such as Glamour and Cosmo. Again, those are male standards of beauty......

Nonsense, unless you think "male standards of beauty" are determined by homosexual fashion designers. I don't know any guys who think the disgustingly thin, almost grotesque mannequins found within the pages of these magazines are attractive.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:45 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:
Harriet The Spy wrote:.... the notion of beauty as defined by magazines such as Glamour and Cosmo. Again, those are male standards of beauty......

Nonsense, unless you think "male standards of beauty" are determined by homosexual fashion designers. I don't know any guys who think the disgustingly thin, almost grotesque mannequins found within the pages of these magazines are attractive.

Well, most guys I know--both straight and gay--certainly found Cindy Crawford highly attractive in her day, and she was all over those magazines.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm

aaron wrote:Well, most guys I know--both straight and gay--certainly found Cindy Crawford highly attractive in her day, and she was all over those magazines.

That was twenty years ago, dude.
Crack one recently?

Harriet The Spy
Forum Addict

Postby Harriet The Spy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:03 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:

Last I heard, "homosexual fashion designers" were male.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:10 pm

OK, you can stop preaching now.

Harriet The Spy
Forum Addict

Postby Harriet The Spy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Whew! Thanks, Supa!

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Harriet The Spy wrote:
Last I heard, "homosexual fashion designers" were male.
:roll:
When people refer to a "male standard of beauty" as you did, they mean the heterosexual one, and you know it.
Why would you even want to play this game?
Are you seriously suggesting that gay men judge female beauty the same way that straight men do? Cuz that's just dopey.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:41 pm

I hang out with lots of Madison lesbians and very few of them ever wear flannel. In any case, I don't think that what they choose to wear has much to do with how attractive they are. Gay men in Madison seem way more hung up on gender stereotypes too.

The self-hating, self-anointed "straight acting" gay men in Madison could learn a lesson or two from the flannel-wearing butch dykes in Madison.

Return to “Catch All”