Do you clean your appliances?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:01 pm

My old clothes washer crapped out and I bought a new one that included delivery and disposal of the dead machine, which was getting a little grody looking. I cleaned it up just before the delivery/take away dudes showed up. I don't know if that makes up for the appalling mess that is my basement.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Bwis53 wrote:It's kind of interesting, almost like being a detective, to note people's habits, by the condition of their belongings. They may look dapper and kempt. Yet, when they bring clothes to be cleaned and repaired, or have their homes cleaned, they're pigs!

medbh
Forum Addict

Re: Do you clean your appliances?

Postby medbh » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:28 am

narcoleptish wrote:So let me get this straight, you find yourself in the kitchen, you see an eclair in the receptacle.....and you think to yourself, what the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Nope, I put dirty diapers in the trash. But if it fell on the floor, yep, 30 sec rule.

medbh
Forum Addict

Postby medbh » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:52 am

TheBookPolice wrote:That's so shockingly uninformed, you've obviously never taken a microbiology course, much less known someone who is trained in micro or bacteriology.

I have a Zoology honors degree from UW-Madison, so I realize that there's bacteria out there. I'm a big cook too, so I know all the food safety "rules." There's lots of things out there that could hurt me, but I'm not going to rearrange my life to avoid all risk. Having a roting piece of fruit in the bottom drawer of the fridge is not going to hurt the milk any. It just looks ugly.

There's also been a fair amount of research (i.e. hygiene hypothesis) that suggests that Americans paranoia about germs and cleanliness is actually making people sicker (with asthma, allergies, etc.).

My husband and I are unrepentant slobs, but we rarely get sick, maybe a cold once a year at most. The only time I've ever gotten food poisoning was in high school (from the lunch program, no less).

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:39 am

medbh wrote:I'm a big cook too, so I know all the food safety "rules."

Being a "cook" doesn't mean you know food safety.

medbh wrote:Having a roting piece of fruit in the bottom drawer of the fridge is not going to hurt the milk any. It just looks ugly.

Maybe it won't hurt the milk, but it'll make the rest of your good fruit go bad faster, therefore wasting money and resources. Plus, if you can't eat it anymore, why keep it?

medbh wrote:There's also been a fair amount of research (i.e. hygiene hypothesis) that suggests that Americans paranoia about germs and cleanliness is actually making people sicker (with asthma, allergies, etc.).

Overuse of antibacterial cleaning products is one thing. Allowing bacteria, spoilage and waste in your home by not removing products that are no longer consumable or valuable in any way is inviting problems. It's just plain lazy. Don't paint it as "risk-taking" or "not wanting to rearrange my life"; it's laziness and making excuses loosely couched in your misplaced self-assuredness.

medbh wrote:My husband and I are unrepentant slobs

And I'm glad I don't know you in real life.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Funny, I just spent an hour taking apart my stove and scrubbing everything with steel wool right before I logged on here. So yeah, I do it. I have a pretty low tolerance for grossness and bad smells.

medbh
Forum Addict

Postby medbh » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:48 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: It's just plain lazy. Don't paint it as "risk-taking" or "not wanting to rearrange my life"; it's laziness and making excuses loosely couched in your misplaced self-assuredness.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm ok with being lazy too. I spend as little time as possible doing the things I have to do and as much time on the things I'd like to do. Cleaning is at the bottom of my to-do list.

And yes, I do know food safety. My husband was a restaurant manager before going into IT and has taken all the state-mandated food safety courses. Having an apple that's starting to rot sit in the fruit basket for a while is not going to kill us. It's ugly, but I don't care. And if bothers you (or my mother, heh) that much, then don't come to our house.

Return to “Catch All”