Do you clean your appliances?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Do you clean your appliances?

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:39 pm

I do a little appliance delivery on the side. I cannot help but be both disgusted and amazed at how filthy some people let their stuff get. I expect it in shithole student housing but quite often it's regular people who have an otherwise clean home. Stoves so full of grease you could light the whole thing on fire. Refrigerators with puddles of whatever just left to harden and rot. If I was a guest and I saw inside some of the fridges I've seen, I would refuse to eat there. Washing machines covered with spilled, caked soap and filth. This is where you CLEAN your clothes? This goes across the economic spectrum. I've taken nasty stuff out of everything from rooming houses to mansions on the lake. Every time I get home from one of these deliveries I clean something.

An interesting observation, gas stoves tend to be waay dirtier than electric ones.

I blame the Fed.

chance
Forum Addict

Re: Do you clean your appliances?

Postby chance » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:57 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I do a little appliance delivery on the side. I cannot help but be both disgusted and amazed at how filthy some people let their stuff get. I expect it in shithole student housing but quite often it's regular people who have an otherwise clean home. . .

The infirmities of aging are not without their advantages. When you get older and your eyesight starts to go, a lot of that dust, dirt and grime just sort of disappears. For example, if I'm not wearing my reading glasses, my stove looks okay. So why should I screw up a good thing by putting them on?

DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:48 pm

I clean off the sybian after each use.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:15 pm

I cannot stand crud in my refrigerator. The one thing I fail to clean is the filter on the fridge, and the top of the vent hood.

narcoleptish wrote:An interesting observation, gas stoves tend to be waay dirtier than electric ones.

That's 'cause there's, you know, stuff burning in the gas stoves. Flame=carbon.

narcoleptish wrote:I blame the Fed.

Good points.

medbh
Forum Addict

Postby medbh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I do a little appliance delivery on the side. I cannot help but be both disgusted and amazed at how filthy some people let their stuff get. I expect it in shithole student housing but quite often it's regular people who have an otherwise clean home. Stoves so full of grease you could light the whole thing on fire. Refrigerators with puddles of whatever just left to harden and rot.

Bah, so what? Your food grows in dirt. We have immune systems that are able to kill off most nasties. The only thing I worry about is the stuff that can kill me, like raw meat. The kitchen and the stove is just going to get dirty again tomorrow, so if the "filth" isn't hurting you, then what difference does it make?

You're amazed at the filth, I'm amazed that people care. And I don't mean that in a nasty way, I truly do not see the problem with dirt, grease, rot, grime, etc. Ebola or E-coli, sure, but other than that it doens't bother me any.

medbh
Forum Addict

Postby medbh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I cannot stand crud in my refrigerator. The one thing I fail to clean is the filter on the fridge, and the top of the vent hood.

Sheesh, there's filters for the fridge and vent?! Are you just looking for things to clean?! :lol:

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:23 pm

medbh wrote:Bah, so what? Your food grows in dirt. We have immune systems that are able to kill off most nasties. The only thing I worry about is the stuff that can kill me, like raw meat. The kitchen and the stove is just going to get dirty again tomorrow, so if the "filth" isn't hurting you, then what difference does it make?

You're amazed at the filth, I'm amazed that people care. And I don't mean that in a nasty way, I truly do not see the problem with dirt, grease, rot, grime, etc. Ebola or E-coli, sure, but other than that it doens't bother me any.

That's so shockingly uninformed, you've obviously never taken a microbiology course, much less known someone who is trained in micro or bacteriology.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:27 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
medbh wrote:Bah, so what? Your food grows in dirt. We have immune systems that are able to kill off most nasties. The only thing I worry about is the stuff that can kill me, like raw meat. The kitchen and the stove is just going to get dirty again tomorrow, so if the "filth" isn't hurting you, then what difference does it make?

That's so shockingly uninformed, you've obviously never taken a microbiology course, much less known someone who is trained in micro or bacteriology.

Sure, just wait, we'll probably find out he's a microbiology professor at the UW......

Anyway, why clean it? Just buy a new one.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:31 pm

gargantua wrote:Anyway, why clean it? Just buy a new one.

Damn straight! It's the American way.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 pm

mrak wrote:
gargantua wrote:Anyway, why clean it? Just buy a new one.

Damn straight! It's the American way.

Perhaps that why the stuff that's getting hauled away looks so bad. Why clean it when you know someone is about to come take it out of your house, clean or not?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:23 pm

medbh wrote:
Bah, so what? Your food grows in dirt. We have immune systems that are able to kill off most nasties. The only thing I worry about is the stuff that can kill me, like raw meat. The kitchen and the stove is just going to get dirty again tomorrow, so if the "filth" isn't hurting you, then what difference does it make?

So let me get this straight, you find yourself in the kitchen, you see an eclair in the receptacle.....and you think to yourself, what the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:36 pm

roadkill bill wrote: Perhaps that why the stuff that's getting hauled away looks so bad. Why clean it when you know someone is about to come take it out of your house, clean or not?

The things I'm talking about don't look like last weeks spills. No, these took time.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:57 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The things I'm talking about don't look like last weeks spills. No, these took time.

The same goes for sheets and underwear.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:33 pm

Oprah wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:The things I'm talking about don't look like last weeks spills. No, these took time.

The same goes for sheets and underwear.

Do you really have to drag pulsewidth modulation into this conversation?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

I used to work in a large office building, that had, supposedly, highly educated people. The janitor's closet, for dishwashing, was disgusting. I started throwing out dishes left in the sink.

It's kind of interesting, almost like being a detective, to note people's habits, by the condition of their belongings. They may look dapper and kempt. Yet, when they bring clothes to be cleaned and repaired, or have their homes cleaned, they're pigs!

I'm tidy and not obsessive about it. Sometimes I clean a bit more, so it evens out. It's just nice to know, the aspirin in always in the same place, after crazy people have given me a headache.

Return to “Catch All”