Why such long shoelaces?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Why such long shoelaces?

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 pm

Is it me, or cheap shoes, lazy manufacturers, or just the way it's done now?

It seems that whenever I buy athletic shoes or casual shoes with laces, they are waaaaay too long! I think I could put the laces through the eyes twice with that much length.

I don't think I have a particularly narrow foot. Is there a reason the laces are so long? I end up buying new laces just to keep the shoes from looking stupid.

Stupid question, but anyone know? There must be a former Famous Footwear employee out there.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:39 pm

A running store salesperson once showed me some looping lace thing that definitely requires longish laces. It involves making a loop at the top two holes and then running the lace across and through the loop on the other side.

I think the point is to keep the laces from loosening up or coming undone when you're pounding pavement. I always just double-tied to keep 'em tight, but I think the loop thing locks 'em down even more.

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:38 pm

I tried but failed to find a picture of Flairs from Strangers with Candy - "Damn, that's a long lace!"

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 am

Is it possible to buy a pair of shoes that do not have tubular style laces? The old flat ones actually stayed tied, but these round ones don't hold a knot, so I have to re-tie my shoes all day. I'm too lazy to buy new laces.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:01 pm

I don't know if any flat lace shoes exist. I changed the laces on many shoes while I was raising boys, just because of the length and keeping them tied thing. Our laundry room used to have a box of different laces.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:20 pm

lonesomejohnny wrote:Is it possible to buy a pair of shoes that do not have tubular style laces? The old flat ones actually stayed tied, but these round ones don't hold a knot, so I have to re-tie my shoes all day. I'm too lazy to buy new laces.

What kind of shoes are you buying? Dress? Athletic? Sneaker?

I can't think of the last pair of shoes I bought, other than my Adidas trainers, that had round laces.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:23 pm

You can always do what pulsewidth modulation did when he became increasingly frustrated with not being able to remember how to tie shoe laces and buy the shoes with the velcro.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Or the curly ones...

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:02 pm

white_rabbit wrote:You can always do what pulsewidth modulation did when he became increasingly frustrated with not being able to remember how to tie shoe laces and buy the shoes with the velcro.

As I recall, his solution was to offer weed to some near eastsider to get him to do it.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:You can always do what pulsewidth modulation did when he became increasingly frustrated with not being able to remember how to tie shoe laces and buy the shoes with the velcro.

As I recall, his solution was to offer weed to some near eastsider to get him to do it.

Well, OK, but his pot-trade "trade" didn't realize that PM was wearing velcro shoes and that "tying his laces" was a euphemism for a trade-off that was a little bit more involved than he anticipated.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 pm

white_rabbit wrote:a little bit more involved than he anticipated.

Well, not everyone can put their ankles behind their head.

Return to “Catch All”