Greatest "find" of something you already had?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Greatest "find" of something you already had?

Postby bluethedog » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:06 pm

I spent 20 minutes today searching my house for a pair of sunglasses after I sat on the pair I was wearing.

During said search I found unopened dark chocolate and chewing gum (a large stash) that I bought a couple months ago and forgot about.

It was as if I found a suitcase full of money on my doorstep.

Top that, if you can.

marthastewart

Re: Greatest "find" of something you already had?

Postby marthastewart » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:06 pm

bluethedog wrote:I spent 20 minutes today searching my house for a pair of sunglasses after I sat on the pair I was wearing.

During said search I found unopened dark chocolate and chewing gum (a large stash) that I bought a couple months ago and forgot about.

Top that, if you can.

I realized that my "significant other" (a person who, by the way is disdained by many others for failing to be "significant" enough) really does have my back.

I was starting to believe all of the naysayer's until crunch time came to a head. BIG SURPRIZE Everyone bailed on me, even the supposedly most enlightened, hippest, I love you baby kind of folk.

Hey, I'm not saying this person should be nominated for sainthood, but I do know that they will always go to bat for me, even when I haven't always had their back in return.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:38 pm

bluethedog wrote:

Top that, if you can.

When I was around 19 years old (circa 1986) and living in Michigan, I bought a lottery ticket at the corner country market in the little neck of the woods I lived in. It was a scratch off ticket that was "2 games in 1". On one half of the ticket you scratched off six boxes and if you got three of the same amount you won that dollar amount as a prize. The second half of the ticket consisted of a letter and if you spelled out "YES MICHIGAN" with the letters you won $100,000. My mom was kind of into the lottery and she had all off the letters except the winning letter. I scratched off the ticket at the counter and didn't get anything on the match part and got an "H" on the YES MICHIGAN part. I couldn't remember which letter my mom needed, but I thought it was either "N" or "H" and asked the clerk what was the hard letter. She replied that she really didn't know. I took the ticket and threw it in my car, thinking I'd check with my mom later. Well, the next day I asked mom what was the hard letter to get and she replied, "H". I was so excited I ran to my car to retrive the ticket I had with the "H" so we could collect $100,000. But I couldn't find the ticket. I rummaged through my car, but no ticket. It really bothered me because I knew I had gotten the "hard" letter that would have allowed me to collect $100,000. Well, time went on and I never found the ticket. I eventually sold the car to my brother in-law who gave it to his daughter from his first marriage who crashed the car. My brother in-law, who was also a mechanic found the ticket when he was pulling back the dash to repair the car after the crash. Five years after the deadline to claim the prize had expired. True story.

...now that I think about it, maybe I should file this under most depressing find.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 pm

A few years back, when money was very tight, I had a week when I was waiting for a check to come in, so I could get some cash. It happened to be fall, the first really cold week. I pulled on a jacket I hadn't worn since spring, stuck my hand in the pocket, and found $20.

Sweet!

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:25 pm

white_rabbit wrote:[ When I was around 19 years old (circa 1986) and living in Michigan.......

Wow. Tough story.

A friend of mine was on a bus trip to spring break in florida in the 80's. They stopped at a mcdonalds when they used to have the monopoly game. He got park place and thinking nothing of it, threw it away. When he got home he found out that his mom had boardwalk. I can't remember the prize he lost but I want to say it was a million. He prefers not to talk about it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:51 pm

While waiting tables at a feverish pace over a period of many months (double shifts, 5-6 days per week), I somehow managed to misplace a particularly large wad of cash. Or, at least, I thought I had. I was just sure of it ...

Six months later, while foraging in my closet, "Oh look! $1200." Much as I needed the cash, I was mostly grateful that the alzheimer's hadn't set in quite yet.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 pm

I recently uncovered a stack of about 30 "Operation Desert Storm" trading cards.

yes, you read that correctly.

perhaps these will be worth something someday? :lol:

Cogitator

Postby Cogitator » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:17 pm

bluethedog wrote:Top that, if you can.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Three years ago I was splitting time between my g/f's apt. and my own home. I was also taking college classes and regularly schlepped my books and clothes back and forth between places.

One night I was hanging out at my g/f's pad. I'd been using my little adorable new PDA to note an upcoming appointment while watching tv reclined on her leather love seat. When it came time to leave I collected my belongings - but couldn't find my PDA. Looked all over the place for it, even under furniture. Went back to looking the next time I was there, and the next time, and a few more times until I decided it was possible that I might break my brain if I keep checking for something that clearly wasn't there.

Fast-forward to this past Sunday, when g/f's cell phone (which was set to *vibrate*) went missing. I called her phone from mine and we'd go silent to try to locate the bzzzz bzzzz bzzzz which, eventually, we traced to somewhere beneath the love seat. We flipped up the recliner levers and I crawled in underneath them to retrieve the cell phone that had, apparently, slipped through the sofa crack.

A reflection caught my eye and - whaddayaknow - I discovered my adorable less-new PDA in there, caught up between the springs and framework! It never even had a chance to hit the floor, which makes sense now that I hadn't been able to find it under there three years ago.

I'm now in the process of ordering both the hard- and software necessary to make the PDA work again, since I got rid of all my original accessories while decluttering my house in August.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:15 pm

Having let the food supply in my house dip a bit lately, I was scrounging around the other night. Finding nothing, I opened the freezer to get some ice for a drink. Pulling my hand from the ice bag I shifted the empty half of it to expose a plastic container and a single...forgotten.....perfect......chocolate chip cookie. I snatched it out of there like a twenty out of the gutter, retired to the porch, and savored every bite. Priceless.

Still haven't gone shopping.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:34 pm

narcoleptish wrote:A friend of mine was on a bus trip to spring break in florida in the 80's. They stopped at a mcdonalds when they used to have the monopoly game. He got park place and thinking nothing of it, threw it away. When he got home he found out that his mom had boardwalk. I can't remember the prize he lost but I want to say it was a million. He prefers not to talk about it.

I don't know, narco, I think someone was fibbin' you. First off, I'm pretty sure that Boardwalk has always been the rare piece, and Park Places were a dime/dozen. So if they guy's mom had Boardwalk, which she probably didn't, she almost certainly got paid. And if the details are swapped and your buddy got Boardwalk and threw it away, well... I'm not buyin'.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

The moral? Stay the fuck out of the Red Shed.

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:41 pm

A little-known fact about me - I don't particularly care to shoot pool or play darts. But I love to play foosball.

Foosball isn't exactly huge among my circle of friends, so I rarely get a chance to play. This doesn't bother me all that much any more, but I used to get serious foosball jones's from time to time.

One year I was house-sitting for my pal Peter on Baldwin over New Years. I don't remember the exact reasons, but no one I knew was going to be around for New Year's Eve. But Peter had left me a big bag of psilocybin in his freezer, and I decided I wasn't going to let a lack of other companions cramp my style. So I chowed a bunch of mushrooms and headed down to the Red Shed (of all places) where I camped myself out at the foosball table, taking on all comers, until the place closed and they kicked me out.

By this point I was completely wasted. As I stumbled back towards Baldwin, I was overcome with the munchies. So I stopped in to Marge's Amoco for a pint of B&J's. While I was drunkenly/trippingly fumbling for money to pay for the pint, I dropped a $50.00 bill on the floor.

Which I didn't realize until I finally woke up the next day. I cursed and spat - $50.00 was a lot in my economic scale in those days - but resigned myself to having lost the money.

Fast-forward a month and a half - I'm back in Marge's Amoco, for the first time since the ill-fated evening. As I stand waiting for the cashier, I notice some wadded-up object on the floor, just below the glassed-in cashier's cage.

Curious, I bend down and pick it up. It's a $50.00 bill.

[cue spooky theremin music]

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:13 pm

massimo wrote: I don't know, narco, I think someone was fibbin' you.

Could be. This was years ago (late 80's?). The guy was my best friend/roommate at the time and I don't think he meant to fib. The pieces may have been reversed but he claimed they had one of each. Who knows. Makes a good story.

Marvell, your story reminded me of my days hanging out at, and I cringe a little saying this, Sergio's. There was a skinny biker dude named Ben who used to stand at the air hockey table and take on all comers. He had a weird relaxed yet edgy style. Maybe natural, maybe not. Never saw him chewing his lower lip, but he sure did talk fast.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:51 pm

Steadman's love.

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:48 pm

bluethedog wrote:I spent 20 minutes today searching my house for a pair of sunglasses after I sat on the pair I was wearing.

You managed to sit on them while you were wearing them!? :D

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The moral? Stay the fuck out of the Red Shed.

Postby Veeder » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Marvell wrote: This doesn't bother me all that much any more, but I used to get serious foosball jones's from time to time.

Where can I get some good foos competition in Madison? I don't play often anymore either but when I do the college folk don't take too kindly to beatings.

Return to “Catch All”