Apartment Owners Decline to Rent to People With Tattoos.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Apartment Owners Decline to Rent to People With Tattoos.

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:09 am

Could you imagine if this happened in Madison?

http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshoo ... 02ab8a7ab1

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:44 am

Yeah, there would be a lot of empty apartments.

Skin art and adornment is about as unique today as wrist watches and wedding rings. I don't get the people with a dozen random tattoos just placed seemingly with no thought, like magnets on a refrigerator. Or the chubby young "tough" guys with the barbed wire. Ooooh, you're so eXtreme! You want extreme? Try staying under 3000 calories a day for a week. Or the words across the knuckles, like "whos next". I betcha you'd be a big hit as a hot dog vendor at a convention for the deaf. Oh, is that a tear by your eye? Maybe you should tattoo a bottle of visine onto your hand.

That said, I'm not totally anti-tattoo, I actually have a couple. I'm just ranting against peoples tendency to take something interesting and just beat it to death.

Whew....ok I'm done.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:52 am

No worries, narcoleptish. Off-the-wall tattoos (meant literally, not figuratively) are an embarrassment to the artist and the customer.

Couldn't a legal case be made on the semantics of discrimination based on skin color? Do the statutes indicate that "skin color" means "biological skin color"?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 am

TheBookPolice wrote:No worries, narcoleptish. Off-the-wall tattoos (meant literally, not figuratively) are an embarrassment to the artist and the customer.

Couldn't a legal case be made on the semantics of discrimination based on skin color? Do the statutes indicate that "skin color" means "biological skin color"?

Not sure. Ask Michael Jackson.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:44 pm

I don't think you'd even have to get to the point of arguing the semantics behind "skin color." IANAL, but it seems MGO 39.03 would cover this:

It shall be an unfair discrimination practice and unlawful and hereby prohibited for any person having the right of ownership or possession or the right of transfer, sale, rental or lease of any housing, or the agent of any such person:

(a) To refuse to transfer, sell, rent or lease, to refuse to negotiate for the sale, lease, or rental or otherwise to make unavailable, deny or withhold from any person such housing because of ... physical appearance

Physical appearance means the outward appearance of any person, irrespective of sex, with regard to hair style, beards, manner of dress, weight, height, facial features, or other aspects of appearance.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:54 pm

The latest gothy trend I don't get is the act of "suspension" - pulling people up in the air by chains hooked through their skin. I can think of SO many other things I'd rather do or see than that. Like watch a John Hughes movie.

read to see the world

Postby read to see the world » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 am

I can’t believe that people can be turned away from an apartment just for having tattoos! Talk about judging a book by its cover! What would the landlord have done if they were moved in before he saw the tattoos? If that’s the kind of people that are going to be living in that apartment complex, maybe the couple wouldn’t want to live there anyway!

The Center Square
Forum Addict
Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby The Center Square » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:47 am

I've got a little tattoo game I play on my daily commute down Johnson after work.
It's getting to become jacket weather but still doable for a bit this year.

Try and get from Johnson and Wisconsin all the way down to First Street without spotting a BAD TATTOO on a pedestrian.
I used to win my after work smoke upon spotting the winning ink, but quit smoking 5 months ago. Now I just play out of habit to break up the traffic crawl.

It's almost impossible to lose, and the peds change out enough where you aren't winning off of the same person. (You can only be a winner once a week, if I need to get technical)

Arms hanging out of the cars do not count.
Including your own.

Give it a whirl.
Everyone's a winner!

Thickovet

A Perfect World, Right Here in Madison

Postby Thickovet » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:12 pm

In a perfect world, I would only rent to people who speak the English, have no tattoos, have jobs, don't belong to gangs, don't drink to excess, listen to public radio at low volume, have a college education, hold at least one job, pay their rent, don't trash the place, on and on and on.

However, I am a Landlord in Madison where I am forced to rent to convicts, registered sex offenders, dopers, drunks, losers, freaks, weirdos, bankrupt, Section 8, tattooed, evicted, crackhead,illegal aliens, (oops: "undocumented") and then when (* LO AND BEHOLD *) the police are called, the City can dub my investment a nuisance and begin the process of taking it from me. Gotta Love Madison in it's finite wisdom.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A Perfect World, Right Here in Madison

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:39 pm

Thickovet wrote:In a perfect world, I would only rent to people who speak the English, have no tattoos, have jobs, don't belong to gangs, don't drink to excess, listen to public radio at low volume, have a college education, hold at least one job, pay their rent, don't trash the place, on and on and on.

However, I am a Landlord in Madison where I am forced to rent to convicts, registered sex offenders, dopers, drunks, losers, freaks, weirdos, bankrupt, Section 8, tattooed, evicted, crackhead,illegal aliens, (oops: "undocumented") and then when (* LO AND BEHOLD *) the police are called, the City can dub my investment a nuisance and begin the process of taking it from me. Gotta Love Madison in it's finite wisdom.

As someone with a college degree, a full-time represented job with decent pay and benefits, and a large tattoo on each forearm, let me be the first to say FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE.

Thickovet

a "full-time represented job" but still can't buy

Postby Thickovet » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Is that FUCK YOU on the left arm and ASSHOLE on the right?

Even tho they don't quite balance out...it is a very snappy comeback. It has all the elements I cherish: brevity, directness, unambiguousness.

Ooops. I must have cleaned the cat box with your rental application.

Next, please, can I help whomever is next in line?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:09 pm

Ah, so this isn't a business commentary. It's a troll post. I get it.

Do I understand correctly that you'd prefer to only rent to people who can afford to buy? Hm. That's an....interesting business model.

Thickovet

Troll Post

Postby Thickovet » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:01 am

I am sorry, Mr.Dumas. I won't confuse you with anything but the facts. Fact: you claim to have a 'represented' job. (Whatever that is)
Fact: You rent.

My tenant preferences were plainly laid out in my first post...remember? The one you so eloquently responded to?

So, no, you don't understand correctly.

No matter: I am still The Man and you, Mr. Represented Job, are the Tattoed Tenant. Tee Hee !

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:08 am

Represented, as in "by a union." Teacher's union, in fact. A big one.

And congratulations on being The Man. You have to rely on people like me for your subsistence. Do you ever just sit alone in the dark and cry? Don't answer, because I don't actually care.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:47 am

Return to “Catch All”