How to convince women to learn self-defence?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How to convince women to learn self-defence?

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:30 am

zoobie wrote:people don't tend to rise to the occasion in times of great crises, but rather they revert to the lowest level of their training.

I've always felt that "fight or flight" was overrated. Maybe Neanderthals would still be roaming the Earth if they'd only had your school to attend.

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:44 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
zoobie wrote:people don't tend to rise to the occasion in times of great crises, but rather they revert to the lowest level of their training.

I've always felt that "fight or flight" was overrated. Maybe Neanderthals would still be roaming the Earth if they'd only had your school to attend.

I doubt they'd be able to tie the belt. Please don't get offended. I mean no disrespect towards Neanderthal-Americans.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:46 am

Zoobie, I'm not surprised that stick and blade fighting is a tough self-defense sell for most women. Given the fact that most rape victims know their attackers, "here's how wield a weapon against your neighbor/new boyfriend/that guy from poli sci" doesn't sound very appealing.

You want to lure the ladies? Acknowledge that every woman's fundamental goal is to not get attacked. Capitalize on thatâ€â€

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:48 am

TheBookPolice wrote:

In all seriousness, the "fight or flight" reaction won't keep one's skill set from degrading under pressure, it merely knocks one out of inaction when one is freaked out and frozen during the shock of an emergency. There's a differance between "flight or fight" and "flight or fight well.

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:51 am

[quote="Ducatista"]Zoobie, I'm not surprised that stick and blade fighting is a tough self-defense sell for most women. Given the fact that most rape victims know their attackers, "here's how wield a weapon against your neighbor/new boyfriend/that guy from poli sci" doesn't sound very appealing.

You want to lure the ladies? Acknowledge that every woman's fundamental goal is to not get attacked. Capitalize on thatâ€â€

evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:01 pm

zoobie wrote:[
Sorry for offending, I mistakenly thought rape and assault were the root problems.

To my limited understanding the purpose of self defense is stop an attack from a larger, stronger person intent on harming an innocent. I honestly didn't know that so many large men were targeted by rapists. What a sexist fool I've been.

What causes women to be attacked? The very same mindset that causes you to ask "how can I convince women what is the best for them?"

Rape and assault ARE root problems. Why are there no schools to teach all men not to do this, instead of putting the burden on us women to have to learn strategic ways of putting our eyes and kneeing groins?

I've been in martial arts for 7 years. Black belt. Studied 3 different arts.

And I still know if a guy is bigger and stronger he will win a fight. But if I am attacked, I have a better chance of getting away.
You are right about Self Defense stopping a attack. But where is the attack coming from?

Here's a hint: think of all the derogatory names for women. I can think of at least thirty. How many for men? Five? Some of which (fag, pussy) imply femininity?

A woman can be stopped often with a word, not physical force, but social conditioning.

How do you conquer this? You can't. Women have to. We have to raise our daughters to be aware and be a ROLE MODEL by SHOWING them, not TELLING THEM, what a good relationship is.

Most rape is NOT strnager rape. Research, my friend.

zoobie

Train hard and stay safe!

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:How do you conquer this? You can't. Women have to. We have to raise our daughters to be aware and be a ROLE MODEL by SHOWING them, not TELLING THEM, what a good relationship is.

Most rape is NOT stranger rape. Research, my friend.

Wow, what an interesting reply. Showing versus telling. It's interesting how much syntax and phrasing changes things. Apparently I really cheesed several folks off through my choice of words when I'm really just concerned for people who don't see the world in as dangerous a light as I do before they get hurt through no fault of their own.

So do you think men are tacitly taught that rape is acceptable, or some kind of human stain? Like murder?

I've always simply seen thugs and rapists as quasi-human predators to be put down rather than educated or understood. To me it's always seemed less of a tax burden to just put them on the spot when they attempt it. Bible says to stone the jerks.

If a man who isn't a rapist wants to be part of a solution is he still some other sort of patriarchal oppressior? Your post is very interesting but it makes me feel like I should apologize for caring about women's safety and that I'm somehow culpable due to having a penis. I like women, but I also like my penis. :?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Train hard and stay safe!

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:57 pm

zoobie wrote:I've always simply seen thugs and rapists as quasi-human predators to be put down rather than educated or understood. To me it's always seemed less of a tax burden to just put them on the spot when they attempt it. Bible says to stone the jerks.

You're a paragon of humanity. Really.

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:You're a paragon of humanity. Really.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what you are besides seeming a friend of rapists. Some variant of troll perhaps?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:25 pm

zoobie wrote:

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what you are besides seeming a friend of rapists. Some variant of troll perhaps?

Yes. I'm a troll. You've nailed it. :roll:

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:39 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
zoobie wrote:

Yes. I'm a troll. You've nailed it. :roll:

Yeah, well, I kinda thought so since you don't seem to add anything productive one way or another. Do you not think people should defend themselves?

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:57 pm

zoobie wrote: Do you not think people should defend themselves?

Do you know a good consultant I can give lots of my money to so I can learn how to do that?

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:24 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
zoobie wrote: Do you not think people should defend themselves?

Do you know a good consultant I can give lots of my money to so I can learn how to do that?

Wha'd'ya mean?

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 pm

zoobie wrote:I like women, but I also like my penis.

Go with this for your slogan.

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Oprah wrote:
zoobie wrote:I like women, but I also like my penis.

Go with this for your slogan.

It's more of an ethos.

Return to “Catch All”