How to convince women to learn self-defence?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
zoobie

How to convince women to learn self-defence?

Postby zoobie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:51 am

My wife and I are martial artists who plan to one day open a school centering on self-defense for the disadvantaged, that is women and smaller people. Big tough strong folks don't need a lot of help, they're already big and strong.

I have a really hard time getting through most women's sensibilities against considering the efficacy of learning self-protection.

"I don't want to live my life in fear." I'm often told, although that very response seems rooted in denial based on fear. Crime statistics make it clear that women get attacked often in many situations and a woman need not feel powerless against an attack, even in victimizing, dis-empowering Madison.

I find it really upsetting when a woman essentially tells me she'd rather deceive herself into thinking "it'll never happen to me" and then falling back on rape crises counseling after the fact.

How do I break through the wall of emotionally based self-deception?
Last edited by zoobie on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:53 am

Just start attacking them at random.*

*No, don't.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 am

I thought you just wanted 'em to carry a heater?

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:25 am

You want them to know how to remove a fence??

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:28 am

Yeah, I hope you didn't order your sign yet.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:31 am

Waitaminnit...

zoobie wrote:My wife and I are martial artists who plan to one day open a school centering on self-defence for the disadvantaged, that is women and smaller people

:shock:

zoobie wrote:Big tough strong folks don't need a lot of help, they're already big and strong.

Tell that to Joey Porter, Antoine Walker, and Levi Jones.

Oh, wait, those are probably the ones that need to be able to carry guns. So we arm the big people and train the small ones to kick and punch. Sounds great!

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:02 am

buckyor wrote:I thought you just wanted 'em to carry a heater?

Nope, not 'till the laws change in this state (which I do advocate). I don't advocate starting a self-protection encounter by committing a crime.

Also, carrying weapons is pretty useless unless the person is willing to train with them.
Equally important is where and when application of potentially lethal force is justified.

This all starts with the law abiding person accepting that bad things can happen to good people yet they have options other than waiting for the rapist to finish and praying that he won't kill her. Even if resistance to an attacker ultimately fails the attacked will psychologically recover faster if they resist instead of just giving in.

I have a hard time understanding how so many people seem to feel that it's ethically and morally superior to be a knife victim or rape victim than leaving a would-be rapist on the ground in a steaming heap.

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 am

Steve Vokers wrote:You want them to know how to remove a fence??

Hey, thanks for noticing I used the British spelling instead of the websters. I changed it although I'm not quite sure how your contribution was productive or helpful. Nice to know the spelling police are out there making the world a safer place :D

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:12 am

Why don't you have Mrs. Zoobie sign on here and tell us what she thinks of your "self-delusional broads" approach to making friends and influencing people?

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:17 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Waitaminnit...

Tell that to Joey Porter, Antoine Walker, and Levi Jones.

Yep, we're all mortal. But predators tend to profile their would be victims and look for people whom they assume will fit most easily into a less resistant role.

Except for non-violent drug offenders in prison, rape victims are overwhelmingly women of weaker stature and appearance than their attackers. Is this surprising or are you deliberately trying to misunderstand and obfuscate my point and question?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:24 am

Force them to go on a date with our own "PJ" or "The Book Police".

zoobie

Postby zoobie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:24 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Why don't you have Mrs. Zoobie sign on here and tell us what she thinks of your "self-delusional broads" approach to making friends and influencing people?

She considers forums a silly waste of time.Too many trolls. Together we'll prove her wrong!

Do you train? Does your wife? What convinced her to start?

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:30 am

How to get women to learn self-defense?

1. Make sure they have brothers.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 am

zoobie wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Why don't you have Mrs. Zoobie sign on here and tell us what she thinks of your "self-delusional broads" approach to making friends and influencing people?

She considers forums a silly waste of time.Too many trolls. Together we'll prove her wrong!

Do you train? Does your wife? What convinced her to start?

1) No, but I've gone through the Principles of Subject Control training here at work.

2&3) Not married.

You are just all about women being generally misled and wrong.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:41 am

zoobie wrote: Except for non-violent drug offenders in prison, rape victims are overwhelmingly women of weaker stature and appearance than their attackers. Is this surprising or are you deliberately trying to misunderstand and obfuscate my point and question?

I'd be surprised if you had actual data on this.

Return to “Catch All”