Job Seeker Question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:44 pm

I understand there are different services, places like Office Depot, use to check your credit report, and God knows what else. I'd like to find a way to get a copy of something besides the credit report, (background check) just to rule out possible false info.

Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby Maxine » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:43 pm

The Catholics believe that if you bury a statue of St. Joseph upside down, looking east in your back yard then sprinkle some holy water and dance in a circle while preying to St. Jude, you will get a new job and sell your house. I think it also cures shingles.

Have you tried that?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:36 pm

fennel wrote:
Pogoagogo wrote:I've worked in HR for a long time now, and I'm only concerned with references from supervisors.

That's interesting to hear. What I see asked for most often is that one's references be professional references but should not include (or include no more than one) supervisor. Interesting. I'd think one would want them fairly evenly split.

And we'd never have anyone from HR check references. That would be up to the supervisor.

Speaking of references, what if it's been a while since you've worked last (for whatever reason) and you find yourself with no current substantial references (past references no longer at their companies etc.)?
Or what if your most current jobs were through employment agencies - who would you list as references then?

punkarchivist

Postby punkarchivist » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:25 am

Job hunting is the drizzling shits. There's just no other way to categorize it. Okay, maybe it's also the bloody shits too.

I've been job hunting (nationally) for over a year now, in a professional field with very few job openings, especially for entry level/recent grads. I've had some really terrific interviews, and some really horrible ones. I've had my CV/resume and cover letters scrutinized by colleagues, superiors, and strangers, and I'm apparently doing nothing wrong on that front. The feedback I get from interviews is always positive, and is usually something like, "Well you were our #2 choice.....the person we chose is older, and has more experience doing X.." That or I've been beaten by an internal candidate (this has happened about 8-10 confirmed times!). I can understand being passed over for lack of experience, but it just sucks. People keep telling me that I'm probably too honest with my appraisals of my skills/experience, etc., and that I need to start lying/stretching the truth like everyone else does. I'm just way too earnest to do that. I don't think I could even pull it off, as I am a terrible liar.

I've found that the Madison job scene is ULTRA competitive--and not just in my field. There are so many people here with advanced degrees looking for some sort of work. This makes looking for any kind of good general experience-building jobs all the more difficult to land. I even have a buddy who is working on a PhD here at UW who is probably going to have to take a $7-8/hour job soon because his department has run out of funding for advanced students, and he needs something to live on. This is happening more and more at UW (as you may know, funding remains tight there, and many grad programs are axing assistantships left and right), so expect to see more masters/PhD students in the already competitive mix. And they go for white collar, blue collar, service industry types of jobs--pretty much everything.

I do hope/suspect that once Bush is out of office, the job market will improve, but I just don't know. Madison is growing pretty fast, but is not really keeping track with the addition of professional jobs. Until the state legislature makes the UW a funding priority, I think things will remain tough.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks for your input Punk. I've heard all those excuses too(about why they didn't hire me). Now that I feel like I'm fighting for my life, I'm setting into action some desperation moves, which I can't reveal all of.(nothing illegal) I've thought of sitting in the Library Mall with a sketch pad and colored pencils, selling drawings and cartoons. At least that's more honorable, than being a panhandler. Every time I see one of those guys, sitting in front of Walgreens, or that same woman asks me for cash for a "cup of soup", I want to light into them, and tell them my story or get a cup and a sign and compete for their corner. Some of my desperation moves may embarrass me, but I may post results about the more positive ones.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:02 pm

Is it ok to not include job dates on your resume?
I mean if you think about it, it is a bit redundant since you usually have to fill in that bit of information on the application anyhow.

Although I know it's coming sooner or later, I'd rather delay the question of; "So what were you doing between that date and this date?"
And I figure if the position calls for a resume before being considered that perhaps I'd have a better chance of surviving to the next step in the process if I didn't raise that question in their heads before they've had a chance to meet me.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:24 pm

MadMind wrote:Is it ok to not include job dates on your resume?

I use years to cover a few gaps/short-term jobs.

Job A: 1996-1997
Job B: 1998-2000
Job C: 2000-present

etc.

Hasn't been an issue yet.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:53 am

Well, from the sound of things the State should be doing some hiring (all the retirees) and if you type & are just looking for a job with benefits there are always the places that hire communication assistants (Captel, Verizon, Societies Assets)which I think mostly pay about $10/hr but offer decent bennies

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:27 am

When someone retires from the state they just don't fill the position and spread the work around. Doyle is trying to balance the budget.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:46 am

uwstudent wrote:When someone retires from the state they just don't fill the position and spread the work around. Doyle is trying to balance the budget.

Not sure if you're trying to be cutesy, but that's not entirely true.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:14 pm

The state is taking a long time with hires, and only the "highest" scores. Plus they are doing a shit load of job compacting. It's unbelievable. I suspect, the workload is crushing people so badly, that it's costing more in health insurance. The budget situation is affecting everyone in very strange ways.

Besides plugging away at my two PT gigs, I'm investigating why some corps don't call back. Some websites are bad, out-dated, unresponsive and backed by poor customer service. It feels like begging sometimes, doing their work for them and being a PI, other times.

Return to “Catch All”