Babel Fish poetry...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Babel Fish poetry...

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:48 pm

A twist on a thought that I believe originated with Henry Vilas. Originally conceived to annoy trolls, taking their posts and filtering them through Alta Vista's Babel Fish, I have taken it to the next level. Insert a favorite poem into Babel Fish, translate it into an exotic language and then back to English.

I'll start. Emily Dickinson's "Hope is the thing with feathers" translated into Japanese back to English...

-- there is no word... it is and does not stop perches and singing condition, at all under any condition with mind desiring, is sweetest thing of the feather to which is not good, and with strong wind it is heard; And the scar many is warm so, it must be the storm which can be perplexed the small bird where it maintained. I the coolest land, and inquired about that of the strangest sea; Still, under any condition, with the point, that did not ask my bread crumbs.

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:47 pm

I translated part of an Edna St. Vincent Millay sonnet into Italian and then back to English. I like the way it turned out -
Never still I will say to you that what task that is sweet and crafty, motivatings force and sly and a sure day when you strike and that I push the hatch some sensato day, not too much luminous and not too much stormy I it will have gone and you can hiss for me

The "you can hiss for me" is from "you may whistle for me" in the original. I like the hissing better.

Return to “Catch All”