But what if I get cancer or break my leg?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:46 pm

From the way I see it (and this is mostly hypothetical), if you're freelancing in some professional way and you're busy enough to not have some other job (30ish hours a week is usually enough for benefits), you should be making enough that a couple hundred bucks a month isn't going to break you.

I guess my main concern is that if you're working your ass off and barely putting food on the table, you're hurting yourself and others in your field by working for too little. I see this all the time with graphic artists who do 'spec' work. No one wins except your clients who get their stuff done for a fraction of what they should be paying.

If you are without insurance and develop some kind of chronic condition, any insurance you get will exclude this condition (its pre-existing) and any costs associated with it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:54 pm

I agree about the problem with lowballing other freelancers, which is hardly limited to insurance issues. I freelanced for years and saw it all the time.

But what is the point of buying insurance that's only going to cover the most ordinary stuff? There's some point, for currently-healthy young people, where your premiums are more costly than the perceived risk involved.

We really, really do need a better system. No solution anybody has to offer here is worth a shit. At least I admitted up front my solution wasn't.

I do not think a rational young single healthy person would work two jobs solely to get the insurance, if he can live all right on the income from the first job -- how much of a life does this leave you? You're being a martyr to the system, to a morality that doesn't give a rip for you.

I still say if I was in that position I'd roll the dice.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:02 pm

snoqueen wrote:I agree about the problem with lowballing other freelancers, which is hardly limited to insurance issues. I freelanced for years and saw it all the time.

But what is the point of buying insurance that's only going to cover the most ordinary stuff? There's some point, for currently-healthy young people, where your premiums are more costly than the perceived risk involved.

We really, really do need a better system. No solution anybody has to offer here is worth shit. At least I admitted up front my solution wasn't.

I do not think a rational person would work two jobs solely to get the insurance, if he can live all right on the income from the first job -- how much of a life does this leave you? It's martyrdom.

I agree, but trying to fix the current system is the work of a lifetime in itself. You have to be reasonable here and in the meantime you gotta live and support yourself, not rely on society to assume your burden, we have plenty of that already. Sometimes it means you make a bit of a sacrifice...Maybe you wait until you're better established to freelance and you can afford surprise medical expenses out of pocket. That's all I'm saying. People are going to do whatever they want regardless.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 pm

One of the many things my ex and I fought about was health insurance. His excuse was, our out of pocket medical costs amounted to the cost of the premiums. Our son's pilonidal cyst cost $5,000.+. At one point, hubby threw the ledger at me, and told me to do it, because if I didn't I would never have anything. So I got to do all the negotiating and wheeling and dealing. I learned more about money and business than I ever wanted to know. Then after we split, lack of insurance finally caught up with him. He had that nose bleed. They couldn't stop it, at the clinic, so they had to ambulance him to hospital emergency. They won't numb up the sinuses, when they insert the balloons, and it took two people to hold him down. I'm glad I wasn't there. Twenty more minutes of bleeding and I would have been a beneficiary. Bill for sinuses=$13,000. And it gets better. After years of shooting cortizone into some joints, he'll be lucky if he can get help at Cook County Hospital. This happened the same month, my mom's ALS was confirmed, and I got laid off. I'm still only partially employed. I suspect, besides agism, no one wants to insure an older person. A martyr to the system that doesn't give a shit. Abortion could be against the law, but an old woman could be set outside a hospital to die legally. What a country! Where's the "sanctity of life" there? Classism, isn't it?

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:23 am

Check out COBRA if you were previously covered. Not sure if it applies to your old health coverage or not, but if it does, one of the nice things about it is you can start it up retroactively.

So, if you break your leg next week, and you qualify for COBRA, you can still get everything covered by insurance even though you're signing up after the accident. At least, that's how I interpreted the plan. Double-check to ensure that's correct. I think you can get coverage for 3 or 6 months after you go off your last coverage.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:32 am

If you're talking to me, COBRA would have cost me $300., per month, to stay with GHC! I was misinformed by my boss about the cost of COBRA, so I paid half of what I was supposed to, the first month of unemployment, and had a large mole removed. Another month later, my boss writes me a note stating the true cost. I said I'd have to discontinue and called GHC. A year later, my W-2 showed $400. in "income" additional (apparently my old boss, was trying to recoup a loss)

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:56 am

Bwis53 wrote:If you're talking to me

Nope, the OP.

She said she's young and healthy, so coverage should just be there in case of catastrophic injury or disease. Which is the kind of thing COBRA can come in handy for since (again, I think) you can get it retroactively. Get a new job in 6 months with no injury? Get on their health plan. But if you don't find a job and break your leg and need surgery in five months, you can sign up for COBRA then - still cheaper than paying OOP.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:18 am

tibor wrote:But if you don't find a job and break your leg and need surgery in five months, you can sign up for COBRA then - still cheaper than paying OOP.

Yeah, but then you have to deal with COBRA Commander.

That guy's a dick. I don't care who knows it.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:45 am

Marvell wrote:
tibor wrote:But if you don't find a job and break your leg and need surgery in five months, you can sign up for COBRA then - still cheaper than paying OOP.

Yeah, but then you have to deal with COBRA Commander.

That guy's a dick. I don't care who knows it.

But Trouble Bubbles kick ass...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:58 pm

This, on a related note.

A program to give some uninsured Dane County residents free health care -- in hopes of improving their health and curbing expensive emergency room visits -- won 't resume this summer as planned.

Organizers say they first need to raise $1 million to study and get ready for the second phase of the Health Access Pilot, or HAP, a cooperative effort among the Madison area 's six main health systems.

"We will move forward only if and when the resources are found, " said Sandy Erickson, a project director for the United Way of Dane County, which is coordinating the effort.

Return to “Catch All”