But what if I get cancer or break my leg?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
madkitkat
Forum Addict
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:56 pm

But what if I get cancer or break my leg?

Postby madkitkat » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:30 pm

I just graduated from college a couple months ago and I'm trying to make it as a freelancer (please spare me the harsh light of reality and let me dream a little).

Point being, I'll be going off my shitty college accident and sickness insurance in mid-August and I'm looking for insurance options after that. I'm healthy, I eat my vegetables and I'm not on medication (except birth control).

Any ideas?

P.S. Needless to say, I'm not made of money.

DedeTate
Forum Addict
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 am
Contact:

Postby DedeTate » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:40 pm

eHealthInsurance offers rate quotes for self-employed people. I'm not sure how expensive it is - probably pretty wild.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Re: But what if I get cancer or break my leg?

Postby mrak » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:49 pm

You may want to consider joining a professional organization relevant to your line of work. Sometimes they offer group health insurance benefits.

Case in point: My wife works for an advertising agency, and they get their health insurance through Madison Advertising Federation.

I have no guess as to what it would cost an individual freelancer (probably still expensive).

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4093
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm self-employed and I've been at deancare forever. I've rarely used my insurance but when I have, I've had no complaints. I'm 40, male, healthy, and my individual policy is about $138 a month. Go to their website for a quote, there are many levels of co-pay to choose from.
Good luck with the freelancing.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23475
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: But what if I get cancer or break my leg?

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:08 pm

madkitkat wrote:... I'm not on medication (except birth control).

Any ideas?

Go off the b.c. and in as little as nine months, you could qualify for BadgerCare.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 13874
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:27 pm

Also consider this:

more than 50% of all bankruptcies are now medical-bill related.

At your stage of life, you haven't got a lot to lose. If you go without insurance, you'll still get emergency care and can qualify for various forms of charitable assistance in the event of a medical emergency. For a healthy young person this is not an irrational choice, just a not-ideal one. Don't forget, just because you have medical insurance doesn't mean some rare thing that might happen to you would be covered. You could still be left out in the cold even after paying all your premiums.

In the event of an injury or illness, when they sock you with huge bills later on declaring bankruptcy wouldn't lose you a big pile of retirement investments and cash because you don't have those things yet. Bankruptcy doesn't ruin your life if you handle things responsibly afterwards. It's become extremely common.

Just be sure your income is not such that it puts you over the limit for a complete-discharge bankruptcy and instead leaves you under court orders to pay off those bills for years to come.

I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but I believe everyone has a right to medical care. If we fixed that system, it would solve a whole lot of related problems at the same time. Given a choice between your life and ensuring the profitability of the medical-industrial complex, most reasonable people would choose their own life.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Downtown

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:53 pm

snoqueen wrote:Also consider this:

more than 50% of all bankruptcies are now medical-bill related.

At your stage of life, you haven't got a lot to lose. If you go without insurance, you'll still get emergency care and can qualify for various forms of charitable assistance in the event of a medical emergency. For a healthy young person this is not an irrational choice, just a not-ideal one. Don't forget, just because you have medical insurance doesn't mean some rare thing that might happen to you would be covered. You could still be left out in the cold even after paying all your premiums.

In the event of an injury or illness, when they sock you with huge bills later on declaring bankruptcy wouldn't lose you a big pile of retirement investments and cash because you don't have those things yet. Bankruptcy doesn't ruin your life if you handle things responsibly afterwards. It's become extremely common.

Just be sure your income is not such that it puts you over the limit for a complete-discharge bankruptcy and instead leaves you under court orders to pay off those bills for years to come.

I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but I believe everyone has a right to medical care. If we fixed that system, it would solve a whole lot of related problems at the same time. Given a choice between your life and ensuring the profitability of the medical-industrial complex, most reasonable people would choose their own life.


Now's there a good idea...Ruin your credit, add to the soceital debt burden, increase my health care premiums?! That has got to be one of the most irresponsible illconceived ideas I've ever heard!

Cut back on the cable bill, have 2 less Latte's a day...Just Pay the $100 a month and get real insurance...Help your fellow working stiffs keep a buck in thier pocket.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly
Contact:

Postby rrnate » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:17 pm

Breaking your leg costs a little over $5000 without insurance, plus however long you can't work if you're not salaried. It's not so awesome.

-nt-

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2926
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison
Contact:

Postby eriedasch » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:40 pm

mcs_madison wrote:Just Pay the $100 a month and get real insurance...

And if you ever want to use it be prepared to pay even more in deductables, prescription drug costs, etc. not to mention if you get anything serious or catostrophic, they'll drop you just like that. Even if you are in perfect health, $100 will not get you much more than very partial, limited coverage.


mcs_madison wrote:Help your fellow working stiffs keep a buck in thier pocket.


If you think your rates are going to go down or simply not raise substantially higher than inflation every year just because one or even 1000 more people buy coverage you are dreaming. Healthcare costs are out of control and until the gov't does some sort of regulation the whole industry (HMO's, prescription drug co's, hospitals, suppliers, etc.) are going to continue to overcharge customers, especially single coverage/not part of some group rate like they've been doing the past how many years? Like people really have other options.

If you are young and in good health, insurance can be a big waste of money. But then again I got a nose bleed back in mid 1990's, no insurance, only making $400 month on unemployment (but still made too much money to qualify for any help). Ended up needing surgury because a blood vessel popped that they could not get at easily. $5000 later, nosebleed was stopped. That's fucked up.

Crossroads
Senior Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:00 pm

Postby Crossroads » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

mcs_madison wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Also consider this:

more than 50% of all bankruptcies are now medical-bill related.

At your stage of life, you haven't got a lot to lose. If you go without insurance, you'll still get emergency care and can qualify for various forms of charitable assistance in the event of a medical emergency. For a healthy young person this is not an irrational choice, just a not-ideal one. Don't forget, just because you have medical insurance doesn't mean some rare thing that might happen to you would be covered. You could still be left out in the cold even after paying all your premiums.

In the event of an injury or illness, when they sock you with huge bills later on declaring bankruptcy wouldn't lose you a big pile of retirement investments and cash because you don't have those things yet. Bankruptcy doesn't ruin your life if you handle things responsibly afterwards. It's become extremely common.

Just be sure your income is not such that it puts you over the limit for a complete-discharge bankruptcy and instead leaves you under court orders to pay off those bills for years to come.

I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but I believe everyone has a right to medical care. If we fixed that system, it would solve a whole lot of related problems at the same time. Given a choice between your life and ensuring the profitability of the medical-industrial complex, most reasonable people would choose their own life.


Now's there a good idea...Ruin your credit, add to the soceital debt burden, increase my health care premiums?! That has got to be one of the most irresponsible illconceived ideas I've ever heard!

Cut back on the cable bill, have 2 less Latte's a day...Just Pay the $100 a month and get real insurance...Help your fellow working stiffs keep a buck in thier pocket.




Works for all the Corporations out there. So why not? Look at the airlines they file on a regular basis and not even for health reasons.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:13 pm

Good luck with "real insurance" as an individual. I have a basic asthma medication that costs twice as much as the premium would per month. I checked into alternatives, and almost every medication came out to at least $150/month. I would not get prescription coverage on an individual plan.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Downtown

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:20 pm

eriedasch wrote:
mcs_madison wrote:Just Pay the $100 a month and get real insurance...

And if you ever want to use it be prepared to pay even more in deductables, prescription drug costs, etc. not to mention if you get anything serious or catostrophic, they'll drop you just like that. Even if you are in perfect health, $100 will not get you much more than very partial, limited coverage.


mcs_madison wrote:Help your fellow working stiffs keep a buck in thier pocket.


If you think your rates are going to go down or simply not raise substantially higher than inflation every year just because one or even 1000 more people buy coverage you are dreaming. Healthcare costs are out of control and until the gov't does some sort of regulation the whole industry (HMO's, prescription drug co's, hospitals, suppliers, etc.) are going to continue to overcharge customers, especially single coverage/not part of some group rate like they've been doing the past how many years? Like people really have other options.

If you are young and in good health, insurance can be a big waste of money. But then again I got a nose bleed back in mid 1990's, no insurance, only making $400 month on unemployment (but still made too much money to qualify for any help). Ended up needing surgury because a blood vessel popped that they could not get at easily. $5000 later, nosebleed was stopped. That's fucked up.


You're right it is, but just saying fuck it and claiming bankruptcy, is a better idea?! Who do you think pays back all that money? Dean Health cetainly isn't...They pass all that debt back to the people actually paying for insurance. There has got to be a better option is my point...

mcs_madison
Forum Addict
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Downtown

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:26 pm

Crossroads wrote:
mcs_madison wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Also consider this:

more than 50% of all bankruptcies are now medical-bill related.

At your stage of life, you haven't got a lot to lose. If you go without insurance, you'll still get emergency care and can qualify for various forms of charitable assistance in the event of a medical emergency. For a healthy young person this is not an irrational choice, just a not-ideal one. Don't forget, just because you have medical insurance doesn't mean some rare thing that might happen to you would be covered. You could still be left out in the cold even after paying all your premiums.

In the event of an injury or illness, when they sock you with huge bills later on declaring bankruptcy wouldn't lose you a big pile of retirement investments and cash because you don't have those things yet. Bankruptcy doesn't ruin your life if you handle things responsibly afterwards. It's become extremely common.

Just be sure your income is not such that it puts you over the limit for a complete-discharge bankruptcy and instead leaves you under court orders to pay off those bills for years to come.

I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but I believe everyone has a right to medical care. If we fixed that system, it would solve a whole lot of related problems at the same time. Given a choice between your life and ensuring the profitability of the medical-industrial complex, most reasonable people would choose their own life.


Now's there a good idea...Ruin your credit, add to the soceital debt burden, increase my health care premiums?! That has got to be one of the most irresponsible illconceived ideas I've ever heard!

Cut back on the cable bill, have 2 less Latte's a day...Just Pay the $100 a month and get real insurance...Help your fellow working stiffs keep a buck in thier pocket.




Works for all the Corporations out there. So why not? Look at the airlines they file on a regular basis and not even for health reasons.


Sooooo....that makes it right? We all pay for it when that shit happens. More unemployment, goverment subsidies that are paid for by taxes, etc.
Yeah, it sucks, but is it necessary to add to that burden by not giving a shit? I don't think so...Get a second job. Back in the days of my youth, I wasn't ashamed to work 2 jobs to make ends meet or get benefits at one, while networking in the other. It's a free choice to be a freelancer and it comes with added responsibilities, that most of us take for granted with employer benefits, but less "freedom".

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 13874
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:27 pm

What you said: There has got to be a better option.

Exactly.

And meanwhile, what is this person supposed to do? Buy insurance that doesn't cover much of anything, or roll the dice?

mcs_madison
Forum Addict
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Downtown

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:34 pm

snoqueen wrote:Exactly. There has got to be a better option.

And meanwhile, what is this person supposed to do? Buy insurance that doesn't cover much of anything, or roll the dice?


Get a second job? Work in a company for awhile and network, build up some savings? Freelancing isn't a task to be taken lightly and it's not fair to pass possible debt on to me, because you can't make the effort, and claiming bankruptcy. Just because you want to do something doesn't mean you should, until you're ready.


Return to “Catch All”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests