The indie rock beard

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

The indie rock beard

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 am

This came up the other night and my thesis is this: Young guys with beards are, way more often than not, in committed relationships if not outright married. These hirsute guys you see at the High Noon or King Club or wherever aren't hoping to pick up any ladies because, if they were, they'd be clean shaven.

A question for the (younger) ladies: Are you really looking for a guy with a beard? What do you make of these guys?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:45 am

Wouldn't a dude with a beard already be, erm, taken?

Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby Hank_Venison » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:06 am

Well, I may not be a "(younger) lady", but I am a gay man, and I have never seen a man look better with facial hair than without.
A 5 O'clock shadow can be sexy, but full grown facial hair of any kind is just nasty looking, I don't care how well groomed it is.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:58 am

To wit:

Last edited by jjoyce on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:10 pm

Not a "younger lady" either but here's my opinion anyway.

I think some guys look better with a beard, including my husband. He doesn't really have the indie rock beard, though. I don't think he'd ever be mistaken for a hipster.

When I see a group of indie rockers with beards, though, they look even more alike than they already do with their hipster duds. With their faces obscured I can barely tell them apart. But at least it's kinda manly. Indie rockers can be a bit dainty sometimes.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The indie rock beard

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:A question for the (younger) ladies: Are you really looking for a guy with a beard?

An answer for the (shallow) man: As a bearded man even before my marriage, I would not have wanted to date any woman who was looking for a specific physical type. So let me ask you, as a man, are you "looking for a woman with _________ hair" or are you looking for a woman you might, y'know, actually enjoy the company of?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:43 pm

My next door neighbor, is a different looking young man. I don't want to describe him, in case he's reading this. He's perfectly fine with me. If all my neighbors were as pleasant as he is, I'd never want to move. I'm not sure what his orientation is, but whoever gets him is lucky!

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:54 pm

I was hoping jjoyce could start another thread pontificating about women who shave their pubic area as being more (or less) likely to be "on the prowl."

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:21 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:I was hoping jjoyce could start another thread pontificating about women who shave their pubic area as being more (or less) likely to be "on the prowl."

Look guy, pontificating is what you do. This is a funny observation meant for the funny kids.

Go back to your search-a-word.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:25 pm

Hey Wags, don't take it so personally. The observation is that all these young guys have beards, which often means they're invoking a style meant to attract women. Yes, that's superficial. But that's kind of the point, right? Some of us are with people we knew for a while before we started dating and some of us are with people because we liked the "cut of their jib" and started a conversation.

My question: Are dudes growing beards to attract women, or are these guys who able to experiment, whisker-wise, because their bread is already buttered, so to speak?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:46 pm

Some women like to be tickled, although there is a fine line between being tickled and chaffed. Depends on the coarseness of the beard.

The Center Square
Forum Addict
Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby The Center Square » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:04 pm

The 'Bearded guy at the rock club" fits into a few categories:

1."Look what I/my body can do"
Nothing like growing it out to see what the hell it looks like. This is the one I think you are referring to in regards to the single VS. in-a-relationship debate. The problem is: The early 20's single guy nowadays is up against the 80's New Wave redux fashion wave in the 'indie' world, so the beard usually gets the nix when they are plopping on the Polos, 'Beck-ing' that look out, and chatting up the ladies/boys at the bar. Whether they can get away with it in a relationship is entirely 'tween them and their sidekick though. Odds are against that face 'fro if they are going with the trends as a single guy though. At least this month.

2. "It's just moving it around a bit, hang on..."
Balding guy moves hair to face. See JJoice's pic above.
Weight usually comes into play with this decision to grow or no. Skinny and bald(ing) doesn't usually equate to the beard long-term. Bigger guys tend to fill out their faces with 'em a little more. There's usually one try out of the hair-loss gate to test the waters either way though. Whether is sticks or not? The data is still out on that.

3. "Man, Kris Kristofferson. Now HE led THE life".
Also see JJoice's pic above. KKristofferson is going to get emulated by the 'laid back wanna-be 70's cowboy over and over until Karen Black finally dumps his ass or he kills off Harry Dean Stanton. Whichever comes first. This look is the only possible infraction on the single VS. taken thread. I mean, Kris Kristofferson is DREAMY!

4. "Take this job and shove it!"
Leftover fashionista stuff still sometimes gets on the new crew of concert-goers. The working man aesthetic that PBR was selling 25 years ago to the grungy kids 15 years ago still splashes over into a few guys faces now and again. These guys are usually drinking more than dating, it seems. Goes with the image, you know.

Those are just a few offa the top of my head. I'm sure I missed a load of categories and nuances of the 20's dating do's and don'ts here.

But whether we agree with what bearded rockers do as single folks, we gotta remember... some guys can pull it off, and some NEED a significant other to tell them, 'It's gotta go."

Me? I just like the show.

oh, wait, I'm not a younger lady - like you asked.
Don't get me STARTED on ladies dews this season....

Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:Well, I may not be a "(younger) lady", but I am a gay man, and I have never seen a man look better with facial hair than without.
A 5 O'clock shadow can be sexy, but full grown facial hair of any kind is just nasty looking, I don't care how well groomed it is.

You and I are on total opposite ends of the spectrum! That's cool n all...but I dig them burly bear men! Pasty skinny dudes w/ no testosterone are a huge turn off.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:13 pm

Guys go for looks; girls go for status.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:15 pm

I grow my beard because I am lazy as fuck.

What's up with dudes marrying or getting into relationships with someone that tells them what they can look like?

Yikes.

Return to “Catch All”