Pedestrians directing traffic from the crosswalk...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Pedestrians directing traffic from the crosswalk...

Postby dstol62 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:24 am

I don't want to open up a can of worms, but lately I have noticed a new rash of pedestrians who seem determined to wave me or other drivers on after stopping for them at certain crosswalks. Recently the police have stepped up their efforts to catch those who blow past pedestrians in the crosswalk and I am all for this. However, I am tired of these "wanna-be crossing guards" giving me "permission" to drive past them when I have already taken the time to stop. If they are that fearful of getting run over, they should find an alternate mode of transportation.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 am

I do this sometimes. Usually because some d-bag has stopped for me on a 4-lane road and he/she doesn't happen to notice the dump truck coming behind him/her that's going to barrel through the crosswalk doing a solid 45 mph. Hey, but thanks for stopping. Move along now.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:38 am

You have to draw the line somewhere since you can't anticipate what everyone is going to do. Ped walking in the crosswalk? Stop. Ped merely approaching crosswalk or just standing there? Keep on keepin' on.

If they are waving you through even though they're already in the crosswalk, they're sending mixed signals.

Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Crow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:07 am

This has happened to me several times lately as a pedestrian standing patiently on the sidewalk. I appreciate the thought, but please – don’t be nice. When I’m standing there, I’m not looking at you, the polite and thoughtful driver. I’m looking well past you, searching for an appropriate gap in which to cross. You stop, and it throws off my whole rhythm… not to mention that the other cars are probably not even slowing down. So blast on by. I can handle the wait. Really.

utopia

Postby utopia » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:37 am

What about intersections with traffic lights?
If there is a green light, am I legally required to stop for the pedestrian that has wondered out into Johnson Street?

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 am

utopia wrote:What about intersections with traffic lights?
If there is a green light, am I legally required to stop for the pedestrian that has wondered out into Johnson Street?

yes

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 am

I stopped for a person on monroe st. sunday and the guy behind me flew around me immediately and almost picked them off. That's exactly the reason I'm against that law, but who wants to get nailed by a sting operation?

Just where did the pressure come from to step up enforcement of this law in the last few years? I'm guessing neighborhood groups, the same people who refuse to allow buildings to be taller or different looking than what we already have.

If you want to live in a small town you don't have to travel far.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:51 am

dstol62 wrote:
utopia wrote:What about intersections with traffic lights?

yes

Not according to Wisconsin Statute. Pedestrians have the right of way on intersections with no walk/don't walk lights, not on those with (assuming the light does not say "walk").

346.23(1)
(1) At an intersection or crosswalk where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals or by a traffic officer, the operator of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian, or to a person who is riding a bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device in a manner which is consistent with the safe use of the crosswalk by pedestrians, who has started to cross the highway on a green or "Walk" signal and in all other cases pedestrians, bicyclists, and riders of electric personal assistive mobility devices shall yield the right-of-way to vehicles lawfully proceeding directly ahead on a green signal. No operator of a vehicle proceeding ahead on a green signal may begin a turn at a controlled intersection or crosswalk when a pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric personal assistive mobility device crossing in the crosswalk on a green or "Walk" signal would be endangered or interfered with in any way. The rules stated in this subsection are modified at intersections or crosswalks on divided highways or highways provided with safety zones in the manner and to the extent stated in sub. (2).
Amended in 1979: Pedestrians have the right-of-way on a green light only where there are no pedestrian control signals. City of Hartford v. Godfrey, 92 Wis. 2d 815, 286 N.W.2d 10 (Ct. App. 1979).

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:52 am

Seems to me Madison needs to invest in overhead signs indicating crosswalks, preferably with yellow flashers. As it is, they're difficult to see, depending on conditions. (Winter, for example.)

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:54 am

I'm with auntgoodenss;
In the crosswalk: stop for the ped.
Approaching: keep going.cars go fast. They can get by in a blink. Whereas pedestrians saunter across the street. Get out of the way, Iron Beast.
Then I will cross.

What cranking my last nerve lately, is BAD WALKERS.
As I walk up the sidewalk, someone comes out of their house and cuts right in front of me and goes slower!
I have to maneuver around them!
Are these bad peds the same bad beltline mergers?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:57 am

This is why laws requiring cars to stop for peds is a very bad idea.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:03 am

Ned Flanders wrote:This is why laws requiring cars to stop for peds is a very bad idea.

I agree with you, Ned!
But a law requiring cars to stop for peds IN THE CROSSWALK is a very good idea.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:16 am

Drivers have been thumbing their noses at this for so long, they just don't have it in them to change anymore, and so many people do it that you take your life in your hands when trying to cross. Enforcement and education is one big part of the answer. And it's not those silly flags you wave that they have on the corner.

Just yesterday I was standing their waiting for an opening in the cars speeding around the capitol, and I do mean 'speeding'. One kind soul stopped, but the lane next to her just kept zipping along. I just motioned her on, no sense getting killed on my way for a muffin.

I was in Uruguay not long ago. Standing on the corner waiting for cars & mopeds to stop. Some woman was walking, saw me & motioned for me to follow her and they automatically stopped-we were in the crosswalk. It was so refreshing to see cars actually stop and allow one to cross safely. As soon as we crossed, the cars took off--slowed them down by maybe 10 seconds. Maybe Madison will someday be as progressive & pedestrian friendly as Uruguay. But I doubt it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 am

As a pedestrian commuter, I hate the the stop-for-peds craze, for the reasons massimo and crow and narco mentioned.

It really irks me on the outer ring of the square. Really, peds? You're too fucking lazy to walk another block to cross at the light? Fine, but I think it's lame to expect traffic to stop just to support your slackassedness.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:25 pm

And taking your lead foot off the accelerator for 3 seconds isn't being lazy?

Return to “Catch All”