Running Shoes?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Running Shoes?

Postby barney » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am

I'm getting back into running again, and I need some new shoes. Any recommendations on where to shop? How's Movin' Shoes?

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:25 am

Movin' Shoes is pretty good - I got my Asics there. The salespeople are really knowledgable and attentive, and they make sure that you test shoes out (hop on that treadmill!) to ensure a good fit.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:42 am

I had a good experience at Fleet Feet on Old Sauk. Jessica (one of the owners of that location I later learned) took her time with me even though the store was really busy. I'm a nOOb but she made me feel at ease because she asked me lots of questions and reassuringly answered all my questions.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:01 am

DedeTate wrote:Movin' Shoes is pretty good - I got my Asics there. The salespeople are really knowledgable and attentive, and they make sure that you test shoes out (hop on that treadmill!) to ensure a good fit.

Guess I won't go there on my lunch hour then! Not so sure about running in work attire...

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:42 am

Movin' Shoes will also let you take them home and run on them for awhile. If they don't feel OK after a few runs, you can take 'em back.

I've bought at Fleet Feet, too. I think M.S. has a bigger selection.

Have fun and don't overdo it - that's a surefire way to take another long break from running.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:52 pm

Learned wrote:Movin' Shoes will also let you take them home and run on them for awhile. If they don't feel OK after a few runs, you can take 'em back.

I've bought at Fleet Feet, too. I think M.S. has a bigger selection.

Have fun and don't overdo it - that's a surefire way to take another long break from running.

Thanks for the advice, I have to remind myself of that! I should be able to talk while I'm running - I actually say that out loud occasionally while I'm going.

There are also a couple of great podcasts out there for beginner / refreshing runners that time intervals out, which helps too.

I think I will stop by Movin' Shoes, since they're sorta in my 'hood. Like most Eastsiders, I don't want to go to the West Side if don't absolutely have to...

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:21 pm

barney wrote:
I think I will stop by Movin' Shoes, since they're sorta in my 'hood. Like most Eastsiders, I don't want to go to the West Side if don't absolutely have to...

I didn't want to say it.

Hey, soon you'll be running this

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:31 pm

Movin Shoes has been there for ever. I used to buy my high school track shoes from them, that's how long they've been around.

Tell em Dirk sent ya.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:42 pm

Learned wrote:Hey, soon you'll be running this

There is a quote on that page:
"Run and Become. Become and Run. Run to sucked in the outer world. Become to proceed in the inner world." - Sri Chinmoy

Um, would that be succeed?

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:49 pm

massimo wrote:

"Run and Become. Become and Run. Run to sucked in the outer world. Become to proceed in the inner world." - Sri Chinmoy

You piqued my curiousity, but when I went to the site it said succeed.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:51 pm

Oprah wrote:
massimo wrote:

You piqued my curiousity, but when I went to the site it said succeed.

Nevermind. It says succeed in the bottom banner, but it does say sucked in the preceeding citation.

Any recommendations on a good optometrist?

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Oh, heh, I didn't see the correct version at the bottom of the page, just the incorrect, more entertaining version...

Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:03 am

Movin Shoes - The new location is a lot nicer inside, they have a decent selection and fairly knowledgeable staff. Their prices are the best of any of Madison's running stores

Fleet Feet - Nice store, helpful staff, fair selection. Their prices are high

Berkely Running Company - Looks nice from the outside but I have not been in it yet. Being that it is in the Hilldale area I'm guessing that their prices are high

Endurance House - I haven't been in here either. It's a triathlon store so their selection of running shoes may not be as good as that of a running specific store.

New Balance/Morgan's - Insanely high prices - sometimes OVER msrp. I've also found their sales staff to be less than helpful.

If you know what you want and don't need a lot of help Rogan's Shoes has a pretty good running shoe selection and has decent prices (often has a buy one get one 50% off sale)

If you really know what you want you can find shoes online at Eastbay, RoadRunnersports, Kelly's Runnign Warehouse, etc. often for very good prices.

Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:05 am

Learned wrote:
barney wrote:

I didn't want to say it.

Hey, soon you'll be running this

Last month was their 6 and 10 day Self Transcendance races in NY. A very interesting group to say the least.

Return to “Catch All”