"Sconnie"

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:18 am

It's a new t-shirt shop on State Street.

sconnie.com

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 am

How about this for a T-shirt design?

shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:11 am

HooferX wrote:Development of the term "Sconnie" is a predictable sociological response from the Wisconsinite kids at UW to the increasing, changing nature of the UW student body. UW Administration seems hell-bent on turning UW away from serving Wisconsinites primarily, and making it into a school to compete with the Ivy League, like University of Michigan. They need money and prestige to do it, so they admit increasing numbers of "coasties" who have more money, to raise UW's profile nationally. The kids react in Wisconsin, by staking out their own cultural identity from the contrived onslaught, calling themselves "Sconnies."

Maybe you should blame the legislature for decreasing state support to the UW to the point that the UW has to look elsewhere for funds. It is well documented that the State's contribution to the UW budget is waning.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:30 am

I get a good laugh out of the Olie and Lena jokes. I smile at I'm Proud to be an Okie from Muskogie. I don't care much for On Wisconsin.

I don't think I've ever heard a good Wisconsin song about being proud to be a Badger or whatever other name you might use. Wonder why that is?

joeyuw

I like it

Postby joeyuw » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:36 am

I like the word "sconnie." I just graduated from UW this past spring and therefore I was there when the whole modern sconnie movement began in terms of the t-shirts and such. I wasn't friends with him or anything, but I knew of Troy - the guy that started it and trademarked the word. I don't know where the earlier poster got that he was from out of state. Troy was definitely from Brown Deer, WI.

My impression of the term is a fun loving take on Wisconsin and its people. I know a lot of people don't like cheesehead, but it's kind of like that in the sense that it may be kind of stupid and silly, but it embraces what it means to be from Wisconsin. It gently pokes fun at things like eating brats, tailgating in 0 degree weather at Packer games or downing a cream puff. Yeah - those are all funny stereotypical Wisconsin things - but I'm proud of those things and therefore I'm proud to be a sconnie!

-Joey "the sconnie"

utopia

Re: I like it

Postby utopia » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:18 pm

joeyuw wrote:I like the word "sconnie." I just graduated from UW this past spring and therefore I was there when the whole modern sconnie movement began in terms of the t-shirts and such. I wasn't friends with him or anything, but I knew of Troy - the guy that started it and trademarked the word. I don't know where the earlier poster got that he was from out of state. Troy was definitely from Brown Deer, WI.

My impression of the term is a fun loving take on Wisconsin and its people. I know a lot of people don't like cheesehead, but it's kind of like that in the sense that it may be kind of stupid and silly, but it embraces what it means to be from Wisconsin. It gently pokes fun at things like eating brats, tailgating in 0 degree weather at Packer games or downing a cream puff. Yeah - those are all funny stereotypical Wisconsin things - but I'm proud of those things and therefore I'm proud to be a sconnie!

-Joey "the sconnie"

Sorry, Joey, Brown Deer ain't "Sconnie." Let me guess, your pal Troy drove his SUV home on the weekends to his 5 bedroom behemoth McMansion like the rest of his Sconnie/Coastie friends (honestly, they're one in the same to me - a bunch of nouveau-riche stuck-up spoiled brats who wouldn't know an actual Wisconsinite if he ran them over with a beer truck on his way to a meat raffle or smelt fry - THAT'S REAL WISCONSIN FOR YA, DONTCHA' KNOW?)

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:21 pm

Blunt's band name: Meat Raffle.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:26 pm

Learned wrote:Blunt's band name: Meat Raffle.

Meat Raffle would be an awesome name for a band. Though some attendees would be pissed off when they discover the venue isn't hosting an actual meat raffle.

joeyuw

Postby joeyuw » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm

oh right, I forgot, Brown Deer the beautiful place metropolis/richest suburb of Milwaukee. Steve Novak is from there and he's in the NBA so it must be rich.

Do some research buddy, Brown Deer is pretty damn sconnie. If you don't think so try grabbing a drink at prime time pub

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:16 pm

joeyuw wrote:oh right, I forgot, Brown Deer the beautiful place metropolis/richest suburb of Milwaukee. Steve Novak is from there and he's in the NBA so it must be rich.

Do some research buddy, Brown Deer is pretty damn sconnie. If you don't think so try grabbing a drink at prime time pub

How close is it to White Folk's Bay? Are you the ones that make just under the income to be there?

joeyuw

Postby joeyuw » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:44 pm

completely different places, anyone from the milwaukee area knows you're making yourself look stupid by comparing brown deer and whitefish bay.

To me sconnie is about embracing people no matter where they're from: spooner, brown deer, whitefish bay, green bay, LA, NY, and welcoming them to our state and our way of life

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:15 pm

joeyuw wrote:completely different places, anyone from the milwaukee area knows you're making yourself look stupid by comparing brown deer and whitefish bay.

To me sconnie is about embracing people no matter where they're from: spooner, brown deer, whitefish bay, green bay, LA, NY, and welcoming them to our state and our way of life

Unless they're from Illinois.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I get a good laugh out of the Olie and Lena jokes. I smile at I'm Proud to be an Okie from Muskogie. I don't care much for On Wisconsin.

I don't think I've ever heard a good Wisconsin song about being proud to be a Badger or whatever other name you might use. Wonder why that is?

"If You Want to Be a Badger"

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:10 pm

"sconnie," sounds like some kind of new age hipster word. I would never repeat it; it sounds sloppy. I would agree that it was probably originally meant as a demeaning slang term.

The first time I saw it used in context was on this forum a while back. The first time I heard it on the streets was a few weeks ago while picking up a CD on State St. The Record store attendant used the term.

HooferX wrote:Development of the term "Sconnie" is a predictable sociological response from the Wisconsinite kids at UW to the increasing, changing nature of the UW student body. UW Administration seems hell-bent on turning UW away from serving Wisconsinites primarily, and making it into a school to compete with the Ivy League, like University of Michigan. They need money and prestige to do it, so they admit increasing numbers of "coasties" who have more money, to raise UW's profile nationally. The kids react in Wisconsin, by staking out their own cultural identity from the contrived onslaught, calling themselves "Sconnies."

Or you can think of it this way; Sconnies wear plaid and Sorel boots, Coasties wear black and UGG boots. Observe; they have their own bars and such too; this is a divided campus thanks to the adult coasties who hold most positions of power in UW Administration these days. It is a take over, make no mistake. There is a massive cultural and political gap between what UW Administration prioritizes, and what Wisconsin families expect to happen at UW. The Sconnie/Coastie divide is real and growing. Very Sad leadership at UW has let this happen.

Like I said before... Madison is becoming a NYC proxy city. You don't need to be a student to feel the pretentiousness emanating from the center of the isthmus. You just have to have middle class values.

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:11 pm

Still pissed that Wissie didn't make the cut.

Return to “Catch All”