"Sconnie"

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
marinara

"Sconnie"

Postby marinara » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:27 pm

I've recently been exposed to the term "sconnie". I first ran across it on facebook and then on another message board. It originates in Madison.

yay or nay? what's your opinion of the newest colloquialism for Wisconsinite?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:35 pm

We've had this discussion before. I've only heard of it in the last year or two and I hate it.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:36 pm

I first heard the phrase in the early 90's while I was living in Minnesota. The usage I heard (and adopted personally) was as an abbreviation for Wisconsin, as in, "It is Sunday, so we must drive to Sconnie if we want to buy beer."

I like the shirts, and I think I will get one, but it doesn't (only) mean a Wisconsin resident, and the shirt guys certainly weren't the first to use the phrase.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:38 pm

acereraser wrote:I first heard the phrase in the early 90's while I was living in Minnesota.

That's what I thought. A foreign term.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:07 pm

As a 'sotan, I'm all in favor.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:As a 'sotan, I'm all in favor.

Yes, we are a favorable people.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:28 pm

If a 'sconnie says it, it's fine.
If a 'sotan says it, it's ok.
If a FIB says it, fuck you, FIB.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:48 pm

i don't like it much but it does help remind us foreigners not to separate the s and the c in wisconsin when we say it.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:06 pm

It is asinine.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:16 pm

depinmad wrote:i don't like it much but it does help remind us foreigners not to separate the s and the c in wisconsin when we say it.

Then it's all worthwhile.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:38 am

I first heard this term in an Isthmus story about UW students from out of state and their relationship with UW students from Wisconsin, that ran within the last year. The word was a derogatory term the out of state kids used for Wisconsin kids. Therefore, I hated it.

Even on its own, I hate the word. It just makes no sense.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:We've had this discussion before. I've only heard of it in the last year or two and I hate it.

You're not from Neenah, are you?

I'd heard it, pre-90s, from folks comin to Madison outta that neck of the woods, but never heard it in Manty or anywhere else, much.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:42 am

"Sconnie" is in the same category as "Wiscompton", ie. pretty fucking dumb, but whatever - if it makes some UW kid a few bucks in t-shirts and pisses off the FIB's and coasties, it's all good.

Incidentally, I cringe at the use of the term "coastie" as a pejorative, but until something better comes along, "coastie" it is.

HooferX
Forum Addict

Postby HooferX » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:09 am

Development of the term "Sconnie" is a predictable sociological response from the Wisconsinite kids at UW to the increasing, changing nature of the UW student body. UW Administration seems hell-bent on turning UW away from serving Wisconsinites primarily, and making it into a school to compete with the Ivy League, like University of Michigan. They need money and prestige to do it, so they admit increasing numbers of "coasties" who have more money, to raise UW's profile nationally. The kids react in Wisconsin, by staking out their own cultural identity from the contrived onslaught, calling themselves "Sconnies."

Or you can think of it this way; Sconnies wear plaid and Sorel boots, Coasties wear black and UGG boots. Observe; they have their own bars and such too; this is a divided campus thanks to the adult coasties who hold most positions of power in UW Administration these days. It is a take over, make no mistake. There is a massive cultural and political gap between what UW Administration prioritizes, and what Wisconsin families expect to happen at UW. The Sconnie/Coastie divide is real and growing. Very Sad leadership at UW has let this happen.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:04 am

Bruno wrote:Incidentally, I cringe at the use of the term "coastie" as a pejorative, but until something better comes along, "coastie" it is.

Why not just coaster? Sounds less like a snack food. Of course, Wisconsin and Michigan residents qualify as Third Coasters.

Return to “Catch All”