Technology makes us rude

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:04 pm

jjoyce wrote: I note a little old lady, probably in her 70s, walk up to the sign as though she's just surveying the scene and, when a register opens, springs over to it.

Man.

I live for the day I'm old enough to pull that off. Seriously.

In the meantime I'm not above asking the elderly who can still "spring" to head to the back of the line.

mountain_goat

Postby mountain_goat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:13 pm

On the other hand, isn't it fun when you need to call a friend who has moved away but kept his/her 608 number? He's in Portland, but it's like I'm calling Dickinson St. or something.

Um. Yes.

Now, back to the bitching.

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
No technology at work there. Just pure born-in-barn etiquette deficit.

Hey, more than just asses have been born in barns. Praise Jesus.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Technology makes us rude

Postby Lily » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:14 pm

mountain_goat wrote:
- It's rude to order something from a counterperson, bartender, etc, while simultaneously talking on the phone...

I'm also becoming increasingly frustrated by cellphone users who think it's socially acceptable to subject others to their loud public phone conversations, hold up the line because they're yakking instead of ordering, or treat a clerk like a non-entity...

I appreciate that some businesses have cellphone-free policies for those who are ordering or that require laptop users to share tables, rather than hog large ones so that they can spread out. I'd like to see more restaurants and coffeeshops go cellphone-free, or insist that upon receiving a phonecall, one take it outside. I don't like the idea of having to make rules about using commonsense and having basic respect for others, but there are too many people (many ostensibly educated and cultured, too) who appear to have been raised by wolves.

Raised by wolves. Love it.

I remember trying to enjoy a meal with my spouse at a local restaurant when a couple came in and ordered breakfast (at noon). It was just before the Halloween/State Street bash. They order food and her cell phone rings. She then proceeded to give driving directions to an out-of-towner for the ENTIRE duration of their meal. LOUDLY and endlessly repeating herself. Someone who was lost on Johnson... And the guy shoving his breakfast down didn't even seem to mind. Thankfully, they were intent on shoving the food down quickly.

Unfortunately, people who yack on these yell phones are driving, grocery shopping, text messaging while watching movies in a public place, blathering on the bus, walking down the street, you name it.

There's a YouTube clip showing a student not only answering his cell phone, but holding a phone conversation in class during a first class lecture. The prof/lecturer walks over to the student, asks for the phone and slams it to the ground. As awesome as that was, sad part it another student had their cell phone recording the event so they could post it.

Man, I would pay bucks to own a cell phone blocker.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Technology makes us rude

Postby Stomach » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:22 am

Lily wrote:Man, I would pay bucks to own a cell phone blocker.

I bet it would be easy to build one, there is probably a plan on the net someplace.

Any Popular Mechanics geeks out there?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:29 am

While cell phone jammers are illegal under federal law, they are available for sale on the Internet.

Just sayin'.

isuftin
Forum Addict

Postby isuftin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:While cell phone jammers are illegal under federal law, they are available for sale on the Internet.

Just sayin'.

Any word on a link? Just askin'. :)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Many here.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:01 pm

One said a range of up to 30 feet. I love the idea of it, but I wouldn't take the chance that I'm blocking the 911 call from some guy going into cardiac arrest in the building next door.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:59 pm

Lily wrote:Unfortunately, people who yack on these yell phones are driving, grocery shopping, text messaging while watching movies in a public place, blathering on the bus, walking down the street, you name it.

Yelling into your cell phone when the people around you aren't yelling is rude. And staying on the phone while you're checking out/ordering a drink/whatever is over the top. Grow some fucking manners, already!

But when people talk on their cell phones at conversational volume, even in a restaurant, it doesn't bother me a bit. If I have the good fortune to have a companion at lunch, why should I begrudge someone else a little human contact via phone?

If you keep it as quiet as your surroundings, and ditch the phone during face-to-face interaction, I don't give a fuck if you have that phone glued to your ear all day.

I'm not a big cell phone fan, by any means. I was a late adopter, only succumbing when my mom was in the hospital for the second-to-final time so I could get The Call. I've never even come close to using up my minutes. And I know that rude cell-phone abusers abound. But I think knee-jerk negative reactions to cell phones are tired-ass bullshit.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:29 pm

Ducatista wrote:
But when people talk on their cell phones at conversational volume, even in a restaurant, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Rarely happens. Most people who talk on cell phones in public places talk into their cell phones like they're talking to their 90 year old great-grandfather.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:42 am

white_rabbit wrote:Rarely happens.

It happens plenty; you rarely notice it. Which is what I'm saying: people on cell phones aren't the problem. Rude people are the problem.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Technology makes us rude

Postby Lily » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Many here.

Cool. THANK YOOOUUU.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:20 pm

Ducatista wrote: But I think knee-jerk negative reactions to cell phones are tired-ass bullshit.

By no means is this a knee jerk reaction. If people talk discretely and keep their public conversations to themselves, I have no problem with such a conveninet device but I have seen few of those. Daily I hear a lot of loud and extended blathering conversations on the bus, when I go to movie theatre, restaurants, even one of my apartment neighbor who walks from her car, pounds her feet up the stairs all the while YELLING on her cell phone... I work on campus and am amazed at college students who are up when I arrive at 7:15 a.m. already waking someone else up to talk about the night before. (and I've heard some doozies!!)

It's not the cell phone and the obscene costs associated with them. It's how people use them. A lot of people need to learn manners.

el guante
Forum Addict

Postby el guante » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:57 pm

talk all you want on your cell phone, as long as your conversation is interesting. most people are just so dull, and that has nothing to do with technology.

Return to “Catch All”