19%
I always change my own tires! AAA is a waste of money
58%

Total votes: 26

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Changing A Tire

Postby universitylad » Sat May 13, 2006 6:49 pm

How good are you at changing a tire if needed?

I have AAA. I think I could change a tire if I needed to, but I have not had to since drivers' education classes in high school. I've never changed a tire on my current Toyota, but I drove by some poor soul changing a tire in the rain the other day. It made me wonder whether I could do it by myself. I think when the weather clears, I'll try to figure out how to change the tire on my current car, just in case. Actually, as I type this I'm not even sure where the jack is. I'll have to look at the owners' manual.

Have you tried to change the tire on your current auto before you had trouble?

The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Changing A Tire

Postby The Big Cheese » Sat May 13, 2006 8:46 pm

i
Last edited by The Big Cheese on Sat May 13, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Big Cheese » Sat May 13, 2006 8:47 pm

universitylad wrote:changing a tire . . .

It's about as tough as changing a lightbulb, only with more resistance as you make the turns and carry the materials.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 13, 2006 9:56 pm

I can do it but hope I never have to again. People are usually pretty nice about helping older women, and I have nothing to prove any more.

Things to check, along with the location of your jack:

-- where are the jack points on the car? If you don't think you'll remember their location, does the car have stickers or a manual that shows them clearly?

-- is the spare aired up and can you get it out of wherever it's stored? If it's fastened down can you turn the wing nut or whatever is holding it?

-- can you turn the lug nuts on your wheels? Do you need to carry a cheater bar?

-- do you know how to get the wheel covers off? (seems obvious, sometimes isn't)

If you get a flat, hope you're on a reasonably smooth, level surface. If you're in mud or on a hill, think twice about doing it alone just for your own safety. If you're the type who carries jumper cables, flares, and the whole nine yards, you also might want to carry a block of wood to brake-block the diagonal tire if you have to change a flat while you are on a hill. About eight inches of 4 x 4 will do fine.

I've got all that crap and more in my trunk. In the old days we seemed to get more flats than people do now -- maybe tires got better, I dunno -- but I still haul it around and know how to use it.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Sun May 14, 2006 3:54 pm

universitylad wrote:How good are you at changing a tire if needed?

Reminds me of a story...

I was riding along in my buddy's car with my buddy, his girlfriend and another mutual pal.

Somehow my pal (a dude) blurted out "Y'now there are just some things that a man can do better than a woman (he musta been ruminating on that for a while in silence - or something).

Anyhoo, he caught the attention of my buddy's girlfriend (intentionally??). And she quipped "What in the hell are you talking about?" Piqued her curiosity I guess.

So, my pal says: "Well changing a tire for instance. I guarantee that on average a man can change a tire faster than a woman."

At this point my buddy's girlfriend almost leapt out of her seat and yells "No frickin� way!!"

Pal: "Are you serious? I can change a tire in half the time it takes you sister! I'll bet you five bucks!"

Buddy's girlfriend: "You are on - it's a bet." Then slightly under her breath but loud enough for us all to hear "Man, you have lost your mind, women can change outfits wayyyyyy faster than men, I'll change attire three times before you even get one leg outta your pants!"

Pal: "I rest my case."

We laughed.... then eventually she did too.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun May 14, 2006 4:39 pm

Wagstaff's Free Life Advice Lesson #327:
If you have to change a tire, make sure to loosen the lug nuts before you jack up the car.
I can't tell you how frustrated/embarrassed/stupid you'll feel when you finally jack the damn car up and discover that the tire just spins and spins and spins when you attempt to remove the nuts.

Actually, I can tell you, because I've done it.
The answer is: Extremely.

rezin
Forum Addict

Postby rezin » Mon May 15, 2006 11:30 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Wagstaff's Free Life Advice Lesson #327:
If you have to change a tire, make sure to loosen the lug nuts before you jack up the car.
I can't tell you how frustrated/embarrassed/stupid you'll feel when you finally jack the damn car up and discover that the tire just spins and spins and spins when you attempt to remove the nuts.

Actually, I can tell you, because I've done it.
The answer is: Extremely.

wow, i had never thought of that, and i'm sure i would have just jacked it up first. you probably just saved me some time in the future.

Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Mon May 15, 2006 11:36 am

Also, it helps to carry a rubber mallet in your car at all times. When I had a flat, I got the lugnuts off and jacked the car up but couldn't remove the tire off the axel cuz it hadn't been removed since the car was made. I had to call a tow just to have him whack the wheel in order to get it to come off and that cost me $50 I could have saved had I just invested in a simple rubber mallet.

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Mon May 15, 2006 11:59 am

Another thing that you might not think of:

Last time I changed a tire the lugs on my old Chevy were as stuck as any I could remember. I wrenched at the L shaped lug wrench, pushing down on it with all my weight, and the lugs wouldnt budge. My friend tried the same and neither of us ample gentlemen couldnt loosen it. After that I turned the wrench over and pulled strongly at it from above (still in the "loosening" direction, counter clockwise) and each one came loose.

The lesson? You are stronger than you are heavy. Use muscles in contolled application rather than weight to do the job.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Mon May 15, 2006 12:08 pm

Flat_Atom wrote:Also, it helps to carry a rubber mallet in your car at all times. When I had a flat, I got the lugnuts off and jacked the car up but couldn't remove the tire off the axel cuz it hadn't been removed since the car was made. I had to call a tow just to have him whack the wheel in order to get it to come off and that cost me $50 I could have saved had I just invested in a simple rubber mallet.

I'm assuming that you didn't know all it needed was a whack, or you would've lain on your back or your butt and kicked it till it gave up, yes? That was pretty much part of the process for most of the vehicles I owned.

Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Mon May 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Billy Shears wrote:
Flat_Atom wrote:Also, it helps to carry a rubber mallet in your car at all times. When I had a flat, I got the lugnuts off and jacked the car up but couldn't remove the tire off the axel cuz it hadn't been removed since the car was made. I had to call a tow just to have him whack the wheel in order to get it to come off and that cost me $50 I could have saved had I just invested in a simple rubber mallet.

I'm assuming that you didn't know all it needed was a whack, or you would've lain on your back or your butt and kicked it till it gave up, yes? That was pretty much part of the process for most of the vehicles I owned.

It was a bit more extreme than that. Had I kicked it as hard as it needed, I would have pushed the car(I had a tiny Colt at the time) off it's jack. It was 11:30 pm on the I system way past Eau Claire so I decided it was best to call someone. I couldn't get the right amount of leverage to whack it off the axel without knocking the thing to the ground and then I would have been really screwed. A mallet with a 12 inch handle was enough force directed in the right spot to get the job done. Trust me, you don't want a car falling off it's jack or worse, on your leg.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 15, 2006 12:27 pm

So I'm the only Dependent Debbie in the poll so far? Right.

My vote isn't completely accurate, because if necessary, I am 99.99% certain I could figure it out with the help of the little handbook in our glovebox. But in the spirit of the question, under almost all circumstances I'd ask for help.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Mon May 15, 2006 12:39 pm

I don't have AAA, but it would make a nice gift...

I'm with ya, Duca. When a tire goes on my ride I need help changing it because I don't know where to put the jack. Otherwise I could do it all myself, but I probably wouldn't because it'd be easier with some help. Last time my car got a flat Prof. Wagstaff changed the tire real quick like, though I did assist. The time before that a male coworker helped me out.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon May 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Ducatista wrote:My vote isn't completely accurate, because if necessary, I am 99.99% certain I could figure it out with the help of the little handbook in our glovebox.

I've no doubt you could figure it out, but sometimes that's only half the battle. While the jack will do the job just fine, a lot of auto makers include these tiny little lug wrenches (probably because they're lightweight and inexpensive) that are pretty much useless.

Everyone should invest in one of these:
Sure, three ends of the thing are useless, but you get far better leverage with one of these than with something more linear, which is probably what you've got if you've never bothered to check.

Oh, and make sure it's the right size for your lug nuts.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 15, 2006 1:52 pm

auntgoodness wrote:Last time my car got a flat Prof. Wagstaff changed the tire real quick like ...

I did?

I'm terrific.

Return to “Catch All”