Yes - But only in one room
31%
No - I'm always cool
20%

Total votes: 45

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:11 pm

I'm lucky to have A/C addicts living upstairs from me, they must keep it about 40 degrees up there because I haven't had to use our A/C downstairs yet this year, even in this miserable heat. It's great.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:12 pm

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:16 pm

I have two air conditioners, but I took the one out of my bedroom because I smoke and cigarettes+recycled air is about the worst smell on earth. I guess I'd rather suffer through the heat than live to see retirement, so the cigarettes won.

Now just imagine if I could quit smoking, save some cash, enjoy an air conditioner and find an alternate method of dying young!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:10 pm

I'd hardly merit the moniker of literature's first appropriate technologist if I were torturing atoms or the ghosts of dinosaurs to make my air recirculate, now would I?

That's what's known in the business as a rhetorical question. I don't expect any of u 2 answer it - or even necessarily 2 know what the fuck it means.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:34 pm

When I was much younger, I lived in a bat-infested apartment, at the end of Gilman,near James Madison park. It had a big enclosed back porch. At the end of the work day, I'd shower, get a bucket of icewater for my feet, pour cold drink on ice and watch the late show that way.

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:28 am

A hammock on the balcony is a much more pleasant way to stay cool.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:15 am

lunatic fringe wrote:
Paco wrote:Orange sugar-free popsicles are the best. I've had 3 already today.
Eww...as in frozen chemically laden orange flavored cancer sticks?

Ick.

You betcha!

skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:37 am

popsicles rule. i love the way you can feel your bone marrow start to set up after the first two.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:48 am

Let's start a crusade for "good" popsicles: lime, raspberry, banana! Everyone always runs out of these first! Banana is the only cheap one I like. I prefer Edy's or Fruitful in the other two flavors. Two servings = blissed out.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:04 am

We make our own popsicles. Cheap AND good...

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:11 am

I thought of that. Do you just puree fruit or pour pop into popsicle moulds? Wouldn't real fruit, pureed down make it expensive, especially raspberries? What I like about the commercially made ones, is their crystalized consistancy gives me a choice in the way I consume them.

skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:18 am

making your own good popsicles is a crap shoot--and i'm sure michael's are great because he seems to know a thing or six about good food.

it's a fine ratio--not enough sugar and the things get way too hard and slick--like licking an ice cube. too much and they're too sweet and/or might not freeze up well. maybe corn syrup is the answer rather than sugar. i like edy's whole fruit peach or strawberry.

i made mint julep ones once, with too much bourbon. they didn't freeze worth a shit, but we were incapable of the food on sticks concept by that point anyway.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:20 am

My wife is the one who makes them. I think she uses juice that has been watered down a little bit so that it freezes better. I suppose you could use fruit and blenderize it, or maybe juice with some fruit added to kick it up a notch. I should add that the primary consumer of said popsicles in our household is our three year-old daughter, so they don't have to be gourmet, just cold and sweet...

I'll ask my wife how she makes 'em when I talk to her later today.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:03 am

There is nothing quite as stuffy and hot as an older 1.5 story house on the east side of Madison-few second floor windows and minmal chance of a cross draft. None the less We've been making do with box fans and ear plugs, havent had too many trully miserable nights yet.
The wife is much less bedevilled by the heat than I am-She tends to be perpetually cold, while I 'm always running hot...must be an attraction of opposites kinda thing...I could stand to loose 15 Lbs but, like world peace. it may not happen in my life time- I like my food and beer too much.

Air conditioning keeps me Happy to come to work each morning.

AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:18 am

Michael Patrick wrote:My wife is the one who makes them. I think she uses juice that has been watered down a little bit so that it freezes better. I suppose you could use fruit and blenderize it, or maybe juice with some fruit added to kick it up a notch. I should add that the primary consumer of said popsicles in our household is our three year-old daughter, so they don't have to be gourmet, just cold and sweet...

I'll ask my wife how she makes 'em when I talk to her later today.

I use juice, not watered down, but I will try that next time, since the popsicles freeze in big crystals. I make them for our three-year-old, and she hasn't complained about them, yet.
We don't have central a/c, and probably won't get it since it would have to go in the middle of our front yard. We're using a window unit in our family room, which is where we spend most of our time, but it's not really doing much on the really hot days.

Return to “Catch All”