If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Insomniacs thread

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm

No more nicotine-stained fingers.
Food will both smell and taste better.
So will beer.
You will feel a well-deserved feeling of accomplishment, because you will have done a very difficult thing.
You can spend the money you save on music, or friends, or whatever. It's a lot of money.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:56 pm

BobbyB wrote:One advantage I found when i quit: I've had insomnia issues most of my life. Quitting smoking wasn't a magic bullet, but it definitely helped.

Way to get this back on topic!!!!!

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:24 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:
BobbyB wrote:One advantage I found when i quit: I've had insomnia issues most of my life. Quitting smoking wasn't a magic bullet, but it definitely helped.

Ha! I assure you, it was quite unintentional.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

BobbyB wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:

Ha! I assure you, it was quite unintentional.

Accidental genius. :clap:

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:46 am

Classic second sleep tonight. "I'll totally stay awake for this epizzz-zzzzzz." Woke up at 3, made cucumber salad, prep'd the coffee, tidied up. Now to bed till 5:45. Night, all.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:56 pm

I should try that, since I often wake up 2-2:30-Ish. Though it seldom takes me long to return to slumber, I am awake and alert for 15 minutes or so.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am

gargantua wrote:I should try that, since I often wake up 2-2:30-Ish. Though it seldom takes me long to return to slumber, I am awake and alert for 15 minutes or so.

I have the opposite problem and it's one of the more insidious forms my insomnia takes. Sometimes I fall asleep quickly and easily, move swiftly into dream-mode and then awake abruptly. When I check the clock, I've only been asleep for about 15 minutes. The problem is, I just had a very nice 15-min. nap, so now I'm unable to get back to sleep. Super frustrating, as that often means I'm now up for several hours before getting tired enough to sleep again.

My many and varied sleep issues really wear me down sometimes because it's as if my body has literally just forgotten how to sleep.

The good news: I am still smoke-free and have passed a few more trigger milestones, including a long evening cooking out with a chain-smoking buddy. Tomorrow night will be my first band rehearsal and then on Sunday I will be at the High Noon Saloon for the first time since quitting, and that's a place I definitely associate with smoking.
One day at a time!

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 am

Did quitting smoking make the insomnia worse?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:38 am

PaleoLiberal wrote:Did quitting smoking make the insomnia worse?

I think it did initially, when I was still going through physical withdrawl, but that makes sense. At this stage of non-smoking though, it's impossible to tell how much effect it's having on my sleep, as my issues come and go in waves and manifest in many different forms.

I have Ambien onhand for when my insomnia gets out of hand and I did make more use of it than I usually do the first week I quit, but it's not something I want to be relying on long-term, so I try to only use it when I've had multiple nights of sleep troubles in a row and/or absolutely have to be somewhere the next day. (So, maybe once or twice a month, tops. And I generally only take half a dose, to boot.)

Working at home both contributes to and makes my sleep problems less of an issue, I suspect, in that I don't need to keep a regular schedule but I probably should try harder to do just that.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm

I also work at home about 75-80% of the time, and in California the rest of the time. Makes sleep, um, interesting.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the sleep issues. OTOH I'm very happy to hear that the smoking cessation is moving along. Funny thing about life: seems like everything can't all be going right at the same time.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:54 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm sorry to hear about the sleep issues. OTOH I'm very happy to hear that the smoking cessation is moving along. Funny thing about life: seems like everything can't all be going right at the same time.

Thanks, garg.
The sleep issues have been ongoing for a dozen years or more now, so they're nothing new and generally manageable in that since I don't have a fixed schedule where I need to be anywhere bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning, if I need to go lay down, I do just that. So it's more just an unpleasant nuisance rather than something making my life unbearable. That said, lack of and/or having a non-regular sleep schedule both contribute to a host of other health issues, so it is something I'm always aware of/trying to improve.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Some of my yoga teachers say this pose will help induce sleep:

Legs up the wall

And almost anyone can do it. First, find a wall...

Return to “Catch All”