Snakes on a plain: pythons take over everglades

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Snakes on a plain: pythons take over everglades

Postby peripat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 pm

rabble wrote: They're getting hardier and we're getting warmer. We're already seeing insects that were formerly only found much further south.

And for that reason alone we should be grateful for our horrible winter and deeper frost line...I guess

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:43 pm

peripat wrote:
rabble wrote: They're getting hardier and we're getting warmer. We're already seeing insects that were formerly only found much further south.

And for that reason alone we should be grateful for our horrible winter and deeper frost line...I guess

Those don't do much good when they only come along every fifteen or twenty years.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:47 pm

New Tick-Borne Disease Identified In Minn., Wis.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/08/0 ... wisconsin/

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 pm

My brother-in-law, an avid hunter, got it a couple years ago. It took a very long time to be identified and treated, as doctors thought he had lyme's disease instead.

BTW, the ticks that carry it live on deer, not on pythons.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm

def take_over_florida(male, female):
....eggs = male * female
....babies = eggs.hatch()
....adults = [baby.grow_up() if baby.survived() for baby in babies]
....for adult in adults:
........adult.eat()
........adult.move_around()
........adult.breed()

True nerds may notice what language was used for this fake code. No, I didn't test it or check it carefully.

EDIT: I had to use dots instead of spaces. Sorry.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:Dipshits who keep giant snakes for pets have screwed-up the everglades, screwed them up big:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are now 100,000 pythons roaming the everglades. The population of rabbits, raccoons and foxes is down to zero. None, completely wiped out.

Florida sponsored a hunt with 1500 snake hunters (gun-toting crazies?) and only killed 58. Apparently those snakes are very stealthy.

I am in favor of an open season on people who keep exotic pets - just as long as no animals are harmed in the process.

a lot of the python population explosion started with debris being blown into the swamp by the hurricane back in 1992 -- so there are probably all sorts of interesting things sharing the everglades with the original inhabitants -- like black mambas (dendroaspis polylepis günther 1864), just about every kind of cobra, and friends and all sorts of theraphosid and other big hairy and/or venomous spiders, myriapods including centipedes as long as a motorcyle, flying hissing cockroaches, i would not be that surprised to hear about a how flock of hyenas (hyaena spp) came cantering into miami beach one of these days . . . thank yer lucky stars for winter nights at forty below zero . . . of course that does not mean everything strange gets filltered out . . . the first time i flew over siberia in an aeroplane and saw twelve or so hours of nothing but trees convinced me that the possibility that there really are bigfeet of various description are out there may be as high as 35 per cent . . . i think they would be mutant bears or even procyonids myself . . .

the new neighbours have apparently eaten 99 per cent of the raccoons in the everglades since 1996 including ostensibly driving extinct an as-yet undescribed 27th subspecies thereof which often topped out at two kilos, had shorter fur like their crab-eating fellows in south and central america and may have grown no larger than a small cat . . . of course when their northern brethren get opposable thumbs and can operate firearms, flamethrowers, explosives, and the like and airboats . . . i say fuck the u s d a and let in the mongooses to kill the fuckers . . .

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:35 am

I wonder how many Floridians will be killed by pythons.

How did an Indonesian python eat a man?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39427462

Henry Vilas wrote:BTW, the ticks that carry it live on deer, not on pythons.

I'm trying to start fewer threads.

Return to “Catch All”