Grading Trump's First 100 Days

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Grading Trump's First 100 Days

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

There are several ways one could grade President Trump.

One way is to use Trump's statements during the campaign.

That seems fair.

For example, consider Scott Walker. He said he would stop the train, and that he wanted us to judge him on his job creation. In fact, he did stop the train, so he passes on that one, but Wisconsin has been the worst state in the Midwest for job creation, so he is a failure by his standards,

So, in the next few posts, I will look at Trump BY HIS STANDARDS, to grade him.
Last edited by PaleoLiberal on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Grading Trump's Forst 100 Days

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:56 pm

I have a feeling that he will not do very well. But hey, I'm an unthinking leftist, so what do I know?

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm

First, let's start with immigration.
Why do I start here? Because this is where Trump started his campaign, and this is where he gets the highest grades.

Part 1. Trump said he would increase deportation of illegal aliens, and stop the flow of illegal aliens into the US.

Results: The flow of illegal aliens into the US appears to have greatly diminished.

Grade: A

Part 2. Muslim Immigration Ban

Results: Executive orders are tied up in the courts.

Grade: Incomplete/Passing

Part 3. H1-B Visa reform.

Results: Trump has made some encouraging statements, and has tasked agencies with investigating how to stop abuse of H1-B Visas by companies like Tata.
Only executive order has been to stop the fast-track processing.
No proposed legislation.

Grade: Incomplete/Passing. Strong chance at an A or B grade.

Part 4. The Wall

Results: Nothing. A few proposals are being considered.

Grade: Incomplete. Can't say if this is passing or failing, since so little has been done.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 pm

gargantua wrote:I have a feeling that he will not do very well. But hey, I'm an unthinking leftist, so what do I know?

Stop giving away the ending.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:03 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:
gargantua wrote:I have a feeling that he will not do very well. But hey, I'm an unthinking leftist, so what do I know?

Sorry. Should have opened with "Spoiler Alert!"

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Grading Trump's First 100 Days

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Healthcare:

Only one part here. Trump promised to repeal and replace the ACA with something better in the first 100 days.

Results. He entrusted Paul Ryan to come up with a plan, which was generally seen as far worse than the ACA, and the bill never even came up for a vote, being completely toxic.

Now he is trying to revive it, to the thunderous chirping of crickets. Still way too toxic, the GOP congressmen are considering how badly a vote for the bill could hurt them in 2018, and they don't want it to even come up for a vote.

Grade: F----- (and I am probably being generous)

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 pm

gargantua wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:

Sorry. Should have opened with "Spoiler Alert!"

Be more careful next time. :P :lol:

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Foreign Policy:

Russia is misunderstood. Obama was too belligerent on Syria. Not our problem if they gas their own citizens. China is Bad. NATO is obsolete. South Korea and Japan need to pull their own weight against North Korea.

Results: Flip. Flop.

Grade: F

Sorry, but I am grading based on what Trump said during the campaign. You may agree with what he has done, but it is an F based on his campaign statements.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Domestic Policy

Part 1. Right wing staples
Defund Planned Parenthood. Repeal environmental protections. Stop consumer protections.
Lower taxes for millionaires and especially billionaires.

Results: So far, he has been doing that. Some executive orders, and some orders by cabinet members.
No legislation so far.

Grade: Incomplete/Passing
He could raise this to an A if he cuts taxes for the rich.

Part 2. MAGA, bring the jobs back, use American steel for DAPL.

Results: Nothing here. No American steel for DAPL.

Grade: Incomplete/Fail

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 pm

That's it for now. More later.

Please nobody give away the ending, when I get to his handing of the military.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Are you taking suggestions?

China currency manipulator
Export-import bank
Lobbyists/Goldman Sachs
Renegotiate NAFTA
TPP

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:Are you taking suggestions?

China currency manipulator
Export-import bank
Lobbyists/Goldman Sachs
Renegotiate NAFTA
TPP

TPP he said he would scrap. He did. That was either A or F, so he gets an A.

Renegotiate NAFTA I will just give an Incomplete since he didn't do anything yet.

China currency manipulator was part of the foreign policy, I just said China bad to be short. F there.

Import-Export bank I don't know enough about that one to grade him.

I will handle draining the swamp now.

Trump promised to "drain the swamp" of the Washington corruption.

Results: Instead, he made things much MORE corrupt.

Examples:
Trump conflicts of interest. China is friendly towards Trump companies, they go from bad guys to good guys. Using the White House to push Ivanka's products.

Putting the foxes to guard the chicken coop. The student loan situation is threatening to crash our economy, so what does his Sec of Education do? She puts out new rules to stop the reforms of the student loan industry, and make if MORE corrupt.

Grade: F------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, I am using Trump's standards to grade him. I pass no judgment on his campaign statements. Just whether he actually did what he said he would do.

Gee, I bet everyone is really wondering what grade Trump will get as C-in-C. I won't give away the ending.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 am

"Lock her up".

Grade: F-

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Tax Reform

Going to make taxes fair for the little guy.

Results: So far, nothing. Proposals in the Trump campaign had about 50% of the tax breaks for the top 1%, while proposals from Ryan had 99.6% of the tax breaks for the top 1%.
On the good side, the Ryan proposal DOES have some tax changes that would tax companies based on their business within the US, which critics call a tariff in disguise. But then, Trump promised a tariff, so he gets a higher grade if he puts a tariff through.
On the bad side, I mean, really? Using Paul Ryan to work on your bills? Have you learned nothing from Ryan's Social Security and ACA fiascos? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, it's HUGE!

Grade -- Incomplete/Failing

Incomplete because nothing done yet, failing because getting Ryan involved.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Trump's Performance as Commander-in-Chief.

Trump can work with the generals! Trump alone knows how to solve the problems in the Middle East. Trump will have a plan right away for dealing with ISIS.

Results: Oh. My. God. How is it even remotely possible for the C-in-C to lose a fleet? I mean an Armada?
It appears the military brass are keeping the C-in-C out of the loop. Which is really scary, but that means they think him being in the loop is dangerous. As in, might accidentally start WW III. Reminds me of the last days of the Nixon Administration, when Nixon was clearly losing his marbles. The top officials in the Nixon Administration actually sent out orders to clear any military orders issued by Nixon with his staff, esp. if it dealt with nukes.
That, however, was during Nixon's second term. In his first term, he was an active, hands-on C-in-C. This is during Trump's first 100 days.

Let me repeat this. It is quite possible the military brass are deliberately keeping Trump out of the loop so he won't blunder into WW III.

The other possibility is he is so disengaged that he would go to the brink of a possible war with North Korea, and not even bother to keep track of what was going on. The Norks may not have nukes yet, but they could destroy Seoul. We are talking about possible millions of deaths, maybe tens of millions.

No wonder one of the presidential candidates in South Korea has publicly called Trump a dangerous liar.

Grade. I know this was keeping you in suspense. Z-

Return to “National Politics & Government”