MOAB dropped

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

MOAB dropped

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am

MOAB stand for Massive Ordinance Air Blast bomb, and mother of all bombs. How clever.

US military defends dropping 'mother of all bombs' on ISIS in Afghanistan
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/asia/afgh ... index.html

The GBU-43/B Massive Ordinance Air Blast bomb (MOAB) was dropped Thursday night on a network of fortified underground tunnels that ISIS had been using to stage attacks on government forces...The GPS-guided bomb is capable of destroying an area equivalent to nine city blocks."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: MOAB dropped

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:15 am

Thump was trying to give a veiled message to North Korea.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Thump was trying to give a veiled message to North Korea.

I was afraid that they'd drop one on that guy I heard got caught.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:25 pm

94 killed.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

The big story here isn't the MOAB itself. It's that Trump has discovered that war is popular. And he doesn't understand how time-limited that popularity is. It took a lot of people's minds off the ACA repeal failure.
I'm researching how to protect against radioactive fallout. North Korea is on deck.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Trump did not make the decision to drop the MOAB. That was decided in the theater and does not require any check outside of the area of command.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Roy wrote:Trump did not make the decision to drop the MOAB. That was decided in the theater and does not require any check outside of the area of command.

It was dropped based on presidential authority, though permission dates back to President Obama. I assume that you don't think that the weapon would have been deployed against President Trump's wishes. And I assume you don't dispute that it was President Trump who authorized the cruise missile strike against Syria. Whether or not one might feel that it was the right thing to do, would you deny that it got people's minds off things that weren't going well for the administration? I think it did. And I'm sure that wasn't lost on our President. So I expect him to repeat the behavior. Time will tell if I'm right or not. In this case, I hope I'm wrong.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:56 pm

gargantua wrote:
Roy wrote:Trump did not make the decision to drop the MOAB. That was decided in the theater and does not require any check outside of the area of command.

It was dropped based on presidential authority, though permission dates back to President Obama. I assume that you don't think that the weapon would have been deployed against President Trump's wishes. And I assume you don't dispute that it was President Trump who authorized the cruise missile strike against Syria. Whether or not one might feel that it was the right thing to do, would you deny that it got people's minds off things that weren't going well for the administration? I think it did. And I'm sure that wasn't lost on our President. So I expect him to repeat the behavior. Time will tell if I'm right or not. In this case, I hope I'm wrong.

Yes, the missile attack required Presidential authorization. The MOAB does not. Had the President specifically forbid use of the BOAB (apparently he didn't) then I agree it would not have been dropped. As nasty as it is, the MOAB is just common arsenal.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Ain't this the truth?

MY European artist friend, and her pals, say they hate Obama worse than "W" because at least "W" was up front about bombing the shit out of people for oil while Obama gets the NOBEL Peace Prize, etc.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Roy wrote:
gargantua wrote:

Yes, the missile attack required Presidential authorization. The MOAB does not. Had the President specifically forbid use of the BOAB (apparently he didn't) then I agree it would not have been dropped. As nasty as it is, the MOAB is just common arsenal.

Agreed, though I find it hard to characterize a weapon that powerful as common. But at least it's not a nuke.

Return to “National Politics & Government”