You're Not Mad at United Airlines; You're Mad at America

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

You're Not Mad at United Airlines; You're Mad at America

Postby Cadfael » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 pm

You don’t hate Mondays. You hate capitalism.

My first reaction to their bloodying up an old man was "Damn, this is what we are now." Most of the articles I read had the common theme "they're all like that, United just got caught" running through them. Then somebody found this one.
Already, United is being demonized online, which is both satisfying and warranted. But let’s tell the deeper truth here—United made a dumb decision, but essentially they just got unlucky that the problem landed on their laps, and it was their dirty laundry that got aired. They are a cruel agent, without a doubt, but they are not some lone wolf—they are a product of an indifferent system that increasingly devalues individual life, and that system is called America.

We are the country where:

—The social safety net, once the strongest in the world, has been gradually dismantled by both major parties over three decades, leaving the poor and working classes vulnerable to increased poverty and immiseration.

—Labor unions, the only reliable form of protection for the American worker, have likewise been gutted as power amasses in the hands of corporations.

—There is virulent opposition from our elected representatives to the idea of universal health care; a system that is a reality in every other western country. Our current foray, Obamacare, is compromised to its core by the overbearing influence of the pharmaceutical industry, and even this very small step forward would have been dismantled if only the Republicans could have agreed on the same plan to deprive 24 million more people of health care.

—Our economy is designed to transfer wealth and income into the pockets of those who need it least, and any opposition to this structural inequality is treated as political radicalism.

—Our current president won, in large part, because he represented a philosophy of fear and hatred toward outsiders. We will start wars in foreign countries that destabilize whole regions for no gain, but we will not accept refugees who have suffered unspeakably—sometimes at our hands—in these same countries. We will, in fact, contravene our stated principals of accepting the tired, the poor, the huddled masses, and actually enact policies designed to remove aspiring citizens from our country, to break up families, and further marginalize those who have nothing.

—Our police are empowered to shoot and kill our own citizens for dubious reasons, and—especially if the victim happens to be a minority—escape all prosecution.

—Harmful free trade agreements have been passed to milk profit from globalism, with no thought given to the loss of jobs, money, and dignity for American workers, or the slave wages and environmental destruction unleashed abroad.

—The agency designed to protect the environment in our country is now controlled by climate change deniers, which mortgages the future for our children and grandchildren and puts us further behind in a race we were already losing.

—What the hell, let’s repeat that one, since it seems important: Our planet is dying, and far from solving the problem, we’re now one of the world leaders in making it worse.

The reality is plain: United Airlines is not the disease. United Airlines is a symptom of an infected country whose institutions of power no longer respect the dignity or the sanctity of the individual life. They don’t care about you. (While you’re here, read this excellent thread by Patrick Blanchfield about power and conformity.)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: You're Not Mad at United Airlines; You're Mad at America

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 am

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum Addict

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 am

This country - and United Airlines right along with it - have come a long way since 1970!

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:06 am

I'll show you friendly, buddy. Want some more friendly? Do ya? Welcome to America.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 am

Capitalism is striking back as United stock prices are falling. If only they offered more compensation for another voluntary rebooking. Everyone has their price. I expect a lawsuit over this.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:46 am

IU2Bmanoletters wrote:This country - and United Airlines right along with it - have come a long way since 1970!

I can't even imagine how nice air travel must have been then.

On this current incident I'm torn. What they did to the guy was terrible and obviously uncalled for. But at the point when you realize that these people are willing to physically remove you, you don't resist because what fucking good is it going to do?

I suppose it'll get him a nice settlement. What we should all aspire to.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 am

narcoleptish wrote:On this current incident I'm torn. What they did to the guy was terrible and obviously uncalled for. But at the point when you realize that these people are willing to physically remove you, you don't resist because what fucking good is it going to do?

Well there's the thing ain't it? This is America. It doesn't matter if you're right. It doesn't matter if you haven't done anything wrong. It doesn't matter what any of the ramifications are (like, say, a doctor has patients waiting for medical care.) It doesn't matter how old you are or what your physical or mental condition is.

Do what you're fucking told, when you're told, and do it NOW or we'll beat the shit out of you.

That's what we call the land of the free.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 am

What can we do about it? I'm all for bitching about the current state of affairs. At least we still have the right to do that. But I don't have much in the way of ideas for turning things around. This prospect really bothers me: Maybe we can't.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 am

gargantua wrote:What can we do about it? I'm all for bitching about the current state of affairs. At least we still have the right to do that. But I don't have much in the way of ideas for turning things around. This prospect really bothers me: Maybe we can't.

Seems to me the first thing is admit it's not supposed to be this way in a country that calls itself free. When most of us adopt the "well what are ya gonna do?" attitude, well, there's nothing you can do.

Second thing might be asking why it's legal to get cops to do your dirty work for you. And be really loud about it.

Then, I'm not sure. Depends on what reaction both of those things get.

And yes, maybe we can't. That doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to give up. But if enough of us feel that way, maybe it is.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 am

I think the problem is that they didn't offer enough money. They stopped at @$800 and 3 volunteered to get off the plane. If they kept going, eventually someone will take them up on it. Who wouldn't take a later flight for a couple of thousand?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 am

Three volunteered. How many did they need to get off? I read nobody volunteered.

Last edited by Shorty on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:52 am

Roy wrote:I think the problem is that they didn't offer enough money. They stopped at @$800 and 3 volunteered to get off the plane. If they kept going, eventually someone will take them up on it. Who wouldn't take a later flight for a couple of thousand?

Why bother offering more money if you can tell two cops to throw someone off for free? And bloody him up a little to let everyone know what happens when you don't do what you're told. That works just as well and costs a lot less.

And don't tell me about lost business. Jimmy Kimmel already said it: "when we book a flight we'll choose whoever's a dollar less than the other one. Every time." They'll keep overbooking and strong arming customers whenever they feel like it and they won't lose a dime.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 am

Shorty wrote:Three volunteered. How many did they need to get off

3 volunteers plus 1 forced off = 4. Not good at word problems, are you Shorty?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:57 am

Shorty wrote:Three volunteered. How many did they need to get off?

No, three did what they were told. They didn't volunteer, they were chosen by the crew and got told to get off the plane.

They needed four places so they could deadhead four employees.

Repeat: they wanted to send four employees to go work someplace so they threw four paid passengers off the plane and bloodied one of them when he got uppity.

And they used local law enforcement officers, who were on duty, to do it.
Last edited by Cadfael on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am

Cafdael, thanks for the explanation. Henry, you should work at United. You have the people skills they like.

Return to “National Politics & Government”