Paul Ryan: Exposed

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Paul Ryan: Exposed

Postby fflambeau » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:04 am

The TrumpRyanCare "plan" was a disaster not only for Donald Trump but also for Paul Ryan, its author. It was such a horrific plan that not even died-in-the-wool GOPers could go along with it. "It's a mess" was the usual quote. That's why it got pulled before it lost on the House floor, the House where Paul Romney is Speaker.

Ryan, recall, is the guy who failed to bring Wisconsin into the fold for Mitt Romney, no less. Now he's Speaker of the House, and he wants to be President. The Donald surely realizes that.

Now Paul Ryan, in a kind of classic shell game, "where are the tax savings", is going to work on tax "reform". That really means tax relief for the people who pay/control Ryan, who has never held a real job in his life. It will be huge tax cuts for the 1% and screw everyone else: they get to call it reform, though.

An independent, nonpartisan study of Ryan's tax plan (by the Tax Policy Center) reveals that 99.6% of Ryan's tax cut will go to the top 1%. In short, Ryan is a bought man, and he's pushing legislation to help those who give him money.

There's a good expose of Ryan over at Salon. From that article:

“It’s really remarkable the extent to which Paul Ryan’s ideas for tax reform are entirely about cutting taxes for rich people,” said Harry Stein, director of fiscal policy for the Center for American Progress, in a phone conversation. “The biggest feature of the plan is cutting the top tax rate paid by wealthy individuals, cutting the tax rate paid by corporations and cutting the tax rate on income from investments, which almost entirely benefits the wealthy.”
Source: http://www.salon.com/2017/03/28/from-he ... get-worse/

MPMay
Forum Addict

Re: Paul Ryan: Exposed

Postby MPMay » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:47 am

I've never understood how Ryan got this reputation as a policy guy. All his proposals with their fancy names boil down to one plan: cut services and benefits to the poor, middle class and elderly, and give tax breaks to the wealthy and to corporations. That one-trick pony passes for brilliance only in a land with no ideas. If he's a policy guy, I'm a brain surgeon.

I expect he will remain Speaker of the fractured GOP House because, as one commentator put it, nobody wants to be Henry VIII's next wife.

These two opinion pieces, especially the one by Krugman, really describe what I think of Ryan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/opin ... ul-krugman

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/opin ... eft-region

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Fully agree. I'm not sure if this is the same item you linked to in the NYTimes (this is an editorial):
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/opin ... ght-region

One thing we haven't mentioned is that Ryan exists as a congressman largely because of a gerrymandered to the max congressional district! How's this for an empty suit?

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:18 pm

And one more thing. I can't imagine what Ryan possibly says when he goes to confession, if he were true to his faith. Say what you will about the Romans, but ingrained in the religion for centuries has been the concept of social justice as a primary element of the faith. Pope Francis is a better teacher of this than some other Popes, but a fundamental concept of your Catholic religious requirement to help the poor, the suffering, and those who are worse off.

Ryan's political life is the antithesis of this teaching. If we had a Bishop in this diocese who had any scruples, he would be as adamant about Ryan not receiving the sacraments due to his political positions as others have been about Catholic politicians who support a woman's reproductive rights.

If he were honest, Ryan would say this every time he entered the confessional: "Bless me father, for I have sinned. I have stolen from the poor, the elderly, and the downtrodden, and have given those ill-gotten gains to the rich and powerful solely to advance my secular career and my own power and pride. I am truly sorry for my sins."

He's not just a fake policy wonk; he is immoral.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 pm

Even way back there in Parochial School we learned that the Church could be pretty damn flexible about confessions, venial and mortal sins, and indulgences when large amounts of money were involved. The strict stuff was for the ones who could only throw a few coins into the collection plate.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:08 am

Not in the doctrine; perhaps in actuality.

The great writer Graham Greene (who was a Catholic) expressed it this way, through one of his characters: "...a Catholic is more capable of evil than anyone. I think perhaps--because we believe in Him--we are more in touch with the the devil than other people." Graham Greene, "Brighton Rock" (which is full of questions of morality, man's abasement, good vs. evil, sin etc.).

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:10 am

[img][img]%20http://host.madison.com/content/tncms/live/#7[/img][/img]

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 am

Do you preview before you post? Rhetorical question, because obviously you don't.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 am

It's hard to develop an alternative to the ACA when you don't want the government involved in healthcare at all. Ryan and his puppeteers want to go back to the way it was before the ACA, so of course the GOP's plan sucked and failed. Ryan and his billionaire donors pulling the strings want to live in a winner-take-all society. They have theirs, so screw everyone else.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am

They'd repeal Medicare and Social Security if they thought they could get away with it.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:56 am

gargantua wrote:They'd repeal Medicare and Social Security if they thought they could get away with it.

Just imagine all those jobs...

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm

jman111 wrote:
gargantua wrote:They'd repeal Medicare and Social Security if they thought they could get away with it.

I don't put it past them to try or screw us there somehow.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
jman111 wrote:

They're sort of using the Roe V. Wade approach. They just chip away at it whenever they can, just enough to fly under the radar.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:52 pm

gargantua wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:
jman111 wrote:Just imagine all those jobs...

They're sort of using the Roe V. Wade approach. They just chip away at it whenever they can, just enough to fly under the radar.

Many people are watching.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
gargantua wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I don't put it past them to try or screw us there somehow.

Many people are watching.

Fake news, they will say.

The safety net has been getting smaller for decades.
When was the last time there was a COLA in unemployment or rental assistance, for example?

Return to “National Politics & Government”