Earth Day, April 22

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Earth Day, April 22

Postby Beaver » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:33 am

I bet D.C. will be packed for this. May be the biggest gathering of hippies since Woodstock?

http://www.earthday.org/

http://www.earthday.org/marchforscience/

"This Earth Day, April 22, Earth Day Network and the March for Science are co-organizing a rally and teach-in on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. The day’s program will include speeches and trainings with scientists and civic organizers, musical performances, and a march through the streets of Washington, D.C. The crowd will gather at 8:00am, and the teach-in will begin at 10:00am.

The March for Science is a celebration of our passion for science and the many ways science serves our communities and our world. The March for Science is an unprecedented global gathering of scientists and science enthusiasts joining together to acknowledge the vital role science plays in our lives and the need to respect and encourage research that gives us insight into the world."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Earth Day, April 22

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Let's all claim that crowd is bigger than Trump's inauguration crowd, whether it's true or not.
Why let him have a monopoly on making stuff up?

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:01 pm

There is a march in Madison, Noon at James Madison park.

I will not attend. Not that I have anything against the march, just that I have family plans.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:10 pm

gargantua wrote:Why let him have a monopoly on making stuff up?

That honor belongs to the news media outlets that the left pays attention to.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Roy wrote:

I agree with Roy, the news media do let Trump have a monopoly on making stuff up.

It is remarkable how continuously Trump lies. Pick any topic, and he's lying about it.

Here's an example, a convenient one because we can actually cite Fox News as the source, to add to the irony of it all:

Keystone pipeline won't use US steel despite Trump pledge

The Keystone XL oil pipeline won't use American steel in its construction, despite what President Donald Trump says. [...]

Trump said as recently as last week that Keystone and the Dakota Access pipeline must use American steel "or we're not building one."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03 ... ledge.html

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Roy wrote:

:roll:

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:09 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:There is a march in Madison, Noon at James Madison park.
I will not attend. Not that I have anything against the march, just that I have family plans.

The Madison March for Science leaves 1 PM this Saturday April 22 from James Madison and heads for the Library Mall where there will be speakers and exhibits. There will also be a separate People's Climate March that day which starts at the Capitol Square at 2 PM and heads toward the MG&E building on East Main.

In DC. the climate march is scheduled for the following week April 29, but in Madison on that day there is also the Crazy Legs Race and the Mifflin Block Party. Thus the climate march was moved up a week and competes with the science march. [Sort of like the People's Front of Judea and the Judean People's Front}

I think it's highly unfortunate that these two groups couldn't come together. Whichever group you choose to march with, the important thing is to stay involved. This year I'm going with the science march.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Got an interesting email from my work, in California.
Boss Man encourages people to march, and will even reimburse people for expenses making signs.
However, Boss Man asks employees who are wearing the company logo on clothing to only make positive signs, i.e. pro-science and not anti-Trump.

EDIT TO ADD:

Of course that is for a march in Cali, not the march in Madison, although I am sure I could get reimbursed for poster board if I marched in Madison.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:23 pm

JoeT wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:There is a march in Madison, Noon at James Madison park.

The Madison March for Science leaves 1 PM this Saturday April 22 from James Madison and heads for the Library Mall where there will be speakers and exhibits. There will also be a separate People's Climate March that day which starts at the Capitol Square at 2 PM and heads toward the MG&E building on East Main.

In DC. the climate march is scheduled for the following week April 29, but in Madison on that day there is also the Crazy Legs Race and the Mifflin Block Party. Thus the climate march was moved up a week and competes with the science march. [Sort of like the People's Front of Judea and the Judean People's Front}

I think it's highly unfortunate that these two groups couldn't come together. Whichever group you choose to march with, the important thing is to stay involved. This year I'm going with the science march.

Now all we need is a connecting march from Library Mall to the Capitol Square stepping off at, say, 1:30p, and I'll be all set! :D

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

gargantua wrote:Let's all claim that crowd is bigger than Trump's inauguration crowd, whether it's true or not.
Why let him have a monopoly on making stuff up?

Hehe....

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm

How can a "March for Science" possibly be serious? Image

Can we have a march for Algebra? How about a march for advanced statistics, astrophysics? I know a march for isosceles triangles? Image

Why did the marcher march right into a tree, though he obviously saw it? Because he refused to let an empirical observation get in his way.

This march is obviously about politics, not science in any fashion! LMAO

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm

The politics is because one of the two major political parties has been waging war on science for about 35 years, and things have gotten worse since then.

The technological lead we American enjoy is mostly because of the research done during the Golden Age of Science, which is considered to be the years from the Eisenhower Administration to the Carter Administration.

Since the time of Reagan, the GOP has steadily worked to cut scientific research. That is not an opinion, that is a fact.

Now, Trump and the GOP Congressional leaders are attacking science. Again, not an opinion, a fact.

Sorry Roy, the conspiracy theories you and Trump love so much are not science.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:47 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:The politics is because one of the two major political parties has been waging war on science for about 35 years, and things have gotten worse since then.

Correct: The Dems who refuse to have proper public debates.

PaleoLiberal wrote:The technological lead we American enjoy is mostly because of the research done during the Golden Age of Science, which is considered to be the years from the Eisenhower Administration to the Carter Administration.

Correct again. Then the left in power and to some extent the right also started listening to the bureaucrats. But the real end of science came when the IPCC got into the act. The scientific method is no longer used, and replaced by models that can't predict the past let alone the future.

PaleoLiberal wrote:Since the time of Reagan, the GOP has steadily worked to cut scientific research. That is not an opinion, that is a fact

Incorrect. The GOP has steadily worked to have research conducted on BOTH SIDES of the debate.

PaleoLiberal wrote:Now, Trump and the GOP Congressional leaders are attacking science. Again, not an opinion, a fact.

Sorry Roy, the conspiracy theories you and Trump love so much are not science.

Ya know you are a real laught sometimes. I asked you at least twice in another thread to answer a simple question. Let me try one more time.

Models run way too hot, and are not in sync with eventual read observations ( thermometers and weather balloons ). The scientific method says that when observations disprove the theory it should be changed. So why doesn't the alarmists stick to the scientific method? Why do they, instead, insist on believing their lying eyes?

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 pm

That issue has been dealt with many, many times on the global warming thread.
Just because you don't like or understand the answers you have been given doesn't mean you can get away with raising the same tired BS over and over and over and then claiming "these scientists won't answer my question".

Most of what you wrote was complete bullshit. I mean, complete idiocy. Research was cut by the GOP. That is a fact. The rest of your ramblings are just the same tired conspiracy theory you have been trying to peddle for many years. Complete BS, proven over and over again to be complete BS on your part.

Roy, you have no credibility on any thread dealing with science. It has been shown over and over again that you lie. Lies have no place in science discussions.
When we scientists see someone lying about science, we call them out. You have been called out many times in the past.

You have lied about science on other threads, and you are lying on this thread.

End of discussion. I apologize to the rest of you for wasting your time with me dealing with Roy. I should've remembered my policy of ignoring someone proven to be a liar.

Return to “National Politics & Government”