Earth Day, April 22

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Earth Day, April 22

Postby Roy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

So PaleoLiberal. I guess you are going to refuse to answer for a third time. Can't blame you as there is no way to justify what has been falsified. Worse, when you refuse to answer again for the third time, you viciously attack me, and call it end of discussion. Typical, and I am not surprised. You sir are an imposter posing as a scientist.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 pm

I'm pretty sure one of youse guys is going to post "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?" Probably both of you, actually. Carry on, boys.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am

For the benefit of those who have not read the 50,000,000 posts in the global warming thread.

Roy's question is based on four falsehoods.

1. Roy claims that we scientists refuse to answer his question. In fact, it has been dealt with many times ad nauseum in the global warming thread. At some point we get tired of answering the same question over and over and over and over and over, so Roy claims we refuse to answer the question. That's a outright lie.

This "question" is based not on science, but on some right-wing talking points mostly being spread on the Dilbert forum, which, strange as it may seem, is not a recognized scientific journal.

The other falsehoods are:

2. The models are the AGW theory, and if the models are not 100% correct, then the theory falls apart.
Wrong.
The theory has been shown to be valid. The models are the refinements to the theory. Sort of like the old days of analog TVs, when you had the fine-tuning. If you had Channel 3, and it was fuzzy, you used the fine tuning to get it clear. That doesn't mean you were really watching Channel 47.

3. The models have given incorrect results.
Wrong.
The Dilbert Forum linked to a 2015 RWNJ "explanation" of why the models were wrong. In fact, that did no such thing. The aggregate of the models showed a range of temperatures that future annual global mean temperatures should fall in, with a confidence of about 90-95%. The "proof" that the models were wrong is that for several years, ending in 2012, the actual annual global mean temperature was in the low end of the predicted range. However, every year was IN the range. Not even ONE outlier, although the models allow for occasional outliers.
Even the 2015 video showed that 2013 was well within the range, and 2014 was right smack dab in the middle.
What about 2015, 2016 and 2017? Warmer and warmer every year. Well inside the range, now getting to the high end of the range.

4. Scientists are not abandoning outmoded models.
Wrong.
Models which have been shown to be wrong are continuously being updated or discarded. The models in use now are better than the models used in 2015, and the 2015 video used models from the late 1990s to 2000, which were not as good as the models of 2015.

And, we can say with almost 100% certainty that Roy will bring up this tired, discredited right-wing talking point again and again and again and again, and will continuously accuse us lefty liberal scientists of refusing to answer his question.

The thing is, it's a bullshit question that can't be answered because it is based entirely on lies. Sort of like going to an AA meeting, and asking a single and sober man why he doesn't enroll in AA meetings because he always gets drunk and beats his wife.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

Earth Day? I'm going to buy several mansions, a large boat and travel from place to place in my private jet and Chevy Suburbans. Oh wait, I'm not Al Gore.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Earth Day? I'm going to buy several mansions, a large boat and travel from place to place in my private jet and Chevy Suburbans. Oh wait, I'm not Al Gore.

Al Gore did not start Earth Day. That was Gaylord Nelson.

Back in the day, some of our family friends lived in the same DC neighborhood as the two Wisco Senators, Proxmire and Nelson. Our friends were friends of the Proxmires, and knew the Nelsons.

Gaylord Nelson walked several miles every day from his home to the Capitol.

Gaylord Nelson literally walked the walk.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:For the benefit of those who have not read the 50,000,000 posts in the global warming thread.

At least.

Also, on the principle that repeating bullshit enough times might wear you down.

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2017/04/21

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:30 pm

DCB wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:For the benefit of those who have not read the 50,000,000 posts in the global warming thread.

At least.

Also, on the principle that repeating bullshit enough times might wear you down.

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2017/04/21

Exactly.

Repeat bullshit ad nauseum, and when people finally ignore you, whine about "they won't even answer my questions! These scientists are scared to debate both sides of the issue!"

Just like that crazy guy who shows up at the farmers' market every week whining about how scientists are scared to debate him.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Nah, more like that asshole whose mouth runs off all the civilized patrons at a local tavern. Says anything and everything to get under people's skin, then complains and slinks off when when someone wants to take him out back for civility lessons, only to return the next day for more of the same.

Except there's no "out back" here. So on he drones.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm

As for Roy whining about "personal attacks", when of course he does that more than anyone else.

When I call Roy a liar, that is a proven fact.

I'll make a wager. I'll put up $10,000 of my own money against $2000 of anyone else's money. 5-1 odds!

The wager is, I can find cases in this forum of Roy telling outright lies. I pay $10,000 if I can't find any, you pay $2000 if I can.

Oh, and people have copied the original posts in case Roy wants to go back and edit his old ones.

Anyone want to take the bet?

I didn't think so.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Hurrah! for "Scince."

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Roy wrote:Hurrah! for "Scince."

I admit I chuckled at this but Roy making fun of someone else's spelling errors is yet further evidence of how completely lacking in self awareness he is.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Bland wrote:

I admit I chuckled at this but Roy making fun of someone else's spelling errors is yet further evidence of how completely lacking in self awareness he is.

What you are saying is that it is funny, but must (MUST) take a swipe at me. :mrgreen:

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Roy wrote:
Bland wrote:

What you are saying is that it is funny, but must (MUST) take a swipe at me. :mrgreen:

Yep that's exactly what just happened.
Normally I'd insult your reading comprehension but I can't today because you nailed it, so good job.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 am

Good one.

Return to “National Politics & Government”