The GOP's health care dilemma

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The GOP's health care dilemma

Postby Ned Flounders » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:18 am

Thanks for telling us a bit about your health situation, Roy. Given that, I'm guessing that there's no way in hell you would be willing to give up your VA coverage and rely only on ER visits for all your medical care. That would be a disaster for you.

So why do you think that would be an OK outcome for other people who lose their health insurance? Why would it be OK for someone with the same medical problems as you to be forced to go without treatment except for emergency care at the ER?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:41 am

The Dilemma is that the Republican caucus couldn't come up with a coherent answer to the question I posed in another thread: replace with what?

The "freedom" caucus wants to eliminate everything useful the US has done in the past century, up to and including the New Deal. The rest of them have moderately rational constituents who prefer to enjoy the conveniences of modern civilization, like medicine and food. The former wanted to replace the ACA with nothing, except possibly work houses for the poor. The latter didn't have a clue what they wanted. There was never going to be any agreement between them.

The only unifying idea in the GOP was "repeal Obamacare", but there was literally no substance behind the idea. So it was doomed to failure.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:31 am

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Thousands going to Dane County ERs for dental problems
Strangest thing. The push to get people to stop using the ER and urgent care facilities for dental problems hasn't worked very well.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 pm

That's because all the dentists, in Dane County, who accept Medicaid, are all booked up. If you pay out of pocket or have premium insurance you have your choice.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Bwis53 wrote:That's because all the dentists, in Dane County, who accept Medicaid, are all booked up. If you pay out of pocket or have premium insurance you have your choice.

True. I have good insurance, so my routine care is paid for, and I have decent co-pays for other things that may arise. Dental clinics are competing for my business. I have a relative on Medicaid who has to make an appointment months in advance. Of course, some dental issues can't wait that long, so....

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:06 am

Looks like Trump wants to put all the blame on Ryan for the failure of TrumpCare.

President Trump told Americans Saturday morning to watch “Justice Jeanine” on Fox News. Jeanine Pirro started her show with a segment calling for House Speaker Paul Ryan to “step down.”

Trump publicly expressed confidence in Ryan after the White House-backed Obamacare replacement bill had to be pulled as there weren’t enough votes. However, there have been reports that President Trump and his allies are upset about Ryan’s performance as speaker.

Trump directed people through a tweet to watch Pirro, a former county court judge and district attorney. Her “opening statement” was, “Paul Ryan needs to step down as speaker of the house. The reason? He failed to deliver the votes on his healthcare bill.”

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:44 am

Not surprised. Where Trump is concerned, everything that goes well is because of him, and everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault. It's entirely predictable.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:50 am

Sharing the blame with Trump is fine, but it happens to be the fault of the Republican elites. Ryan, McConnell etc. Ryan thinks because they have House, Senate and WH that they can ram though what they want, and the rank and file need to fall inline.

The Ryan HC bill was not liked by the public anymore than they like the ACA.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:13 am

Roy wrote:The Ryan HC bill was not liked by the public anymore than they like the ACA.

If fact, it was liked a lot less. The party of NO! has no answers.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:13 am

Ned Flounders wrote:Thanks for telling us a bit about your health situation, Roy. Given that, I'm guessing that there's no way in hell you would be willing to give up your VA coverage and rely only on ER visits for all your medical care. That would be a disaster for you.

So why do you think that would be an OK outcome for other people who lose their health insurance? Why would it be OK for someone with the same medical problems as you to be forced to go without treatment except for emergency care at the ER?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:51 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Roy wrote:The Ryan HC bill was not liked by the public anymore than they like the ACA.

If fact, it was liked a lot less. The party of NO! has no answers.

Check before you type. The Ryan HC, as bad as it was, was much more acceptable than ACA.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 am

Last edited by Henry Vilas on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Bullshit.

Right. Because only the left ideas are valid, anything else is "Bullshit."

Henry you are a piece of work.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm

See the link I added to my post.