International Women's Day Strike, March 8

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: International Women's Day Strike, March 8

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Well, Roy, when you revealed that you presented yourself as a woman, I thought that was courageous.

But you can't hide and not answer questions such as: What will you do if your social security gets cut?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Bwis53 wrote:But you can't hide and not answer questions such as: What will you do if your social security gets cut?

Unlikely in the next few years, and that is quite possibly about all I have left ( cancer ).

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm

I have argued with you in the past, Roy, but I do sincerely wish you as long and as healthy a life as possible.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:I have argued with you in the past, Roy, but I do sincerely wish you as long and as healthy a life as possible.

Thanks. I have already lived a full life, so anything the Lord gives me now, I see as extra time.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Cadfael wrote:A Defiant Little Girl has been placed in front of the Wall Street Bull.

There's more pictures in the link.

Arturo Di Modica has declared war upon this girl.
Artist Arturo di Modica says the placement of the “Fearless Girl” statue against his “Charging Bull” on Wall Street initially made him “sick” and wounded his pride — but now he wants revenge.

I feel his pain, and I say that with my tongue not in my cheek. I really do understand where he's coming from. This changes his work and it no longer says what he intended it to say.

I am completely on the other side because he's handed it off to the world now and even without the new statue, it no longer says what he originally intended in 1987.

He's got a right to do this but he should be celebrating its new life instead.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 pm

I can see the artist's point.

He intended for the Bull to be a sort of hero, a symbol of America's optimism and resilience in the face of troubled economic times in the 1980s. He put up the Bull during a bear market.

Fearless Girl turns the Charging Bull into a villain, a symbol of sexism in Wall Street corporations.

Big difference.

I like the Fearless Girl, but I have to admit the artist is correct. He holds the artistic copyright, so he may have the legal right to have either the Girl or the Bull removed. He has successfully sued in the past to keep stores from selling Bull trinkets as souvenirs.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 pm

I think it's a shame that it apparently never occurred to him that times change. Would his bull have the same meaning in 2117? How about 3117? How long must his vision remain inviolate?

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Interesting thought gargantua.
I have always said that almost all of the meaning of the Vietnam War Wall is due to the visitors and what they leave there. In a few decades the meaning will change.

However there is an artistic copyright which gives the artist some legal rights over his work. Not sure what those rights are.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Well, I'm undermining my own argument, but I think of war memorials as being timeless. They were paid for with the lives of young people, which makes it particularly tragic. What might they have done, given the chance? To say nothing of the pain and loss of the people they left behind.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue May 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: Fight on little SJW. Fight on.

Return to “National Politics & Government”