Russ Feingold Ran a Horrible Campaign

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Russ Feingold Ran a Horrible Campaign

Postby fflambeau » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:24 am

Russ Feingold ran a horrible campaign and lost Wisconsin by far more than Hillary Clinton did: Feingold lost by almost 100,000 votes, whereas Clinton lost by 27,000 or so. Amazingly enough, too, Feingold had superb name recognition and his opponent, although Senator for 6 years, did not!

Feingold ran far too traditional a campaign in a year when the electorate wanted outsiders and change:

1) he allowed Johnson to portray him as the insider, even when it was Johnson who is the incumbent.

2) he failed to run on issues that were important to Wisconsinites, especially pocket book issues.

3) Feingold 6 years ago voted against a Bernie Sanders written proposed law that would have given all Social Security recipients a one time, modest payout. It cost him the election 6 years ago. Did he change his tune? NO. Although he claimed to support a larger payout just recently offered by Senator Warren, his support of this was lukewarm. AND he should have been calling for expansion of Social Security, for a raise in the cap on the earnings tax etc. For that matter, what did the Democratic Party do to strengthen Social Security for the past 8 years? Nothing. And recall that they controlled the Presidency, the Senate and the House in 2008. President Obama himself was up until a few months ago, calling for cuts in "entitlements".

4) Ron Johnson did a number on Feingold with term limits. Sensing the unpopularity of voters toward Washington, Johnson pledged to not run for another term should he be reelected. Brilliant strategy and one that Feingold never answered. It is also one that Feingold should have embraced and he should have one-upped Johnson and called for age limits on Senators, Judges, and Washington politicians. Note too that the polls (The Marquette Poll) showed Johnson edging closer and closer to Feingold's supposed lead after Johnson announced he would only serve one more term.

5) Feingold's campaign had no unifying call, nothing to hang its hat on. It was not even particularly progressive, and Feingold came across as the consensus pick of the Washington elite. In other words, the kiss of death.

And I know hindsight is always better than foresight; but if you check this web site, you'll see I've been saying the same things for months and that I predicted a Feingold loss. His loss was very predictable.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Russ Feingold Ran a Horrible Campaign

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:36 am

What does your user name mean? Are you a fan of the Flambeau river?

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:39 am

Beaver wrote:What does your user name mean? Are you a fan of the Flambeau river?

I assumed "fflam" was an abbreviation for "flim flam" and "beau" represents his high opinion of himself.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:50 am

In Hochunck, I'm pretty sure it means "endless river with big mouth".

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

I've noticed that liberals on the board resemble the Trump posters very much. They don't like to be reminded of the obvious: that Feingold (their hero) ran a miserably poor campaign and lost (again) to a very beatable candidate.

Hence the personal attacks (rather than concentrating on why Russ Feingold lost). The main reason he lost is that he failed (and did not event attempt) to channel the anger that most people have felt to unfair trade deals and an unfair economic system. He should have watched the way Bernie Sanders campaigned but Feingold is not really a progressive while Bernie is. Feingold ran on the unimaginative, "safe" proposition that "I'm not Ron Johnson"--and he lost by a big margin when he should have won.

And I said he was running a poor campaign months before he lost it big and predicted his loss; lots of the people griping here are the same ones who kept posting, "but he's up 8 points in the polls".

Told you so: if you stand for nothing, no one is going to vote for you. :wave:

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Why don't you repeat your first post over and over again? Oh, that's right. You already do.

You already do.
In case it hasn't sunk in yet:
You already do.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Has Saint Russ secured another public trough job yet?

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:12 pm

fflambeau wrote: Hence the personal attacks

I can only speak for myself but my personal attacks have nothing to do with my liberalism or my unwillingness to admit that Feingold ran a terrible campaign (which is beyond obvious, given that he lost, doncha know.) No my personal attacks are aimed at you because you think you're insightful but you're not, because you consistently demonstrate contempt for this community despite whining we won't engage you on your terms, and because your posts aren't really intended to spark discussion in the first place. Just read your original post again and then tell me where you think any of your positions or opinions are open for discussion. Everything is stated as a fact and you cap it off by pointing out how very clever you are for having already been saying all these things (because as garg said, you sure do like to repeat yourself) for months. I mean, do YOU try to engage with people who literally say "I told you so" at every opportunity?

We get it. You're smarter than everyone else here and your ideas are better. So why are you here wasting such brilliance on people too dumb to even listen? Go start a think tank and leave us alone.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:04 pm

I wasn't attacking you. I just wanted to know what your name means.
Ned Flanders wrote:Has Saint Russ secured another public trough job yet?

Don't know. You could ask him on his facebook. I like that his page says:

"We appreciate discussion and respectful commentary on this page. Posts containing profanity, abuse or negative commentary targeted at other users will be deleted. Thank you."

Isthmus forum could learn a few things from that.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/russfeingol ... e_internal

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Beaver wrote:I wasn't attacking you. I just wanted to know what your name means.

Don't know. You could ask him on his facebook. I like that his page says:

"We appreciate discussion and respectful commentary on this page. Posts containing profanity, abuse or negative commentary targeted at other users will be deleted. Thank you."

Isthmus forum could learn a few things from that.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/russfeingol ... e_internal

Beav, Bland wasn't talking to you. He was talking to the OP.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Russ blames Citizen's United:

...The Supreme Court’s 2010 ruling in Citizens United has turned political campaigns into proxy wars between billionaires and giant, multinational corporations who don’t seek to buy just election results but the legislative and policy decisions of the government itself. The result has been a Gilded Age on steroids, with more than $6.8 billion spent on the 2016 election alone. In my recent race for the US Senate, I saw personally how much influence these dark-money groups now enjoy, and how normalized their influence over down-ballot elections has become. In fact, the press now treats the strategy and plans of these groups as near-definitive indicators of whether a candidate can win. In the eyes of pundits, support from a billionaire now means a candidate on the rise. Only seven years after Citizens United, activity from the groups it created is assigned as much predictive power as any credible poll...

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-very-legitimacy-of-our-democracy-is-under-threat/

I wish he had been this animated during the campaign, but then he always had my vote. I really can't say if this is an issue that would have motivated others to go out and vote, or to switch their votes from Senator Johnson.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Exactly, Russ Feingold is a good man but a bad politician and he simply did not understand the mood of the voters. Had he come out with some fire on this issue and especially progressive positions on pocket book issues (social security expansion; a more level economic playing field; reshaping the tax code to make it more progressive; the need for more money for teachers and schools and hospitals and roads), he would be Wisconsin's senator. He also made a huge mistake in tying himself to Obama instead of tying himself to the agenda that got Obama elected in 2008.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 am

Republicans have most the public trough jobs now.

Former Sen. Feingold launches new advocacy group
http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... /408508507

"Former Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold is starting a new nonprofit political advocacy group focused on abolishing the Electoral College, voters' rights, campaign finance reform and protecting the independence of the Supreme Court. Feingold announced the new group, called LegitAction, on Wednesday."

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:53 pm

No, Feingold ran the campaign.
I found the result curious as I expected him to out perform Clinton in Wisco - given many showed to vote for him inspite of the presidential. No one talks about this - he should have had a bulge over HRC.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:40 pm

I think people outside of Dane County, a significant majority of them, were OK with Ron Johnson. I saw his ads. He looked like a good ol' aw shucks choir boy. I was not terribly surprised that he was reelected. He's an appealing candidate for people who don't pay all that much attention to politics.

Return to “National Politics & Government”