Speaking Truth to Power

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speaking Truth to Power

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: So to recap: He created people with free will and made sure some of'em would want to do things He considered evil -- because otherwise . . . uh, He wouldn't have to condemn most of them to eternal punishment or something? -- then He made it so the people He deemed good would forever be pretty much powerless to stop people He deems evil. (I mean, you would agree that people have been doing stuff you and He consider evil pretty much since, like, forever, right, ymbj?) You see the problem here? I'm just not seeing the whole "all-good, all-knowing, all-powerful" side of this guy. See, now, if I were creating people and I didn't want them to do something, then I'd make it so they couldn't do that thing..

Like you, I am not a Christian. But one rationalization I've heard is: the deity is testing you. You're told the difference between right and wrong - its spelled out so clearly in the Bible! - and you have to choose between them. Your eternal destiny is in your hands!

For the sake of this discussion, let's put aside the fact that you're making important decisions based on some arbitrary rules that even most Christians can't agree on. Doesn't this imply that the deity is very much pro-choice?

If you do decide to keep your unwanted/unplanned pregnancy, it should be because you wanted to do be "good". Not because the State coerced you with criminal penalties. If the State puts all the abortion doctors out of business, how is a good Christian going to experience the temptation that's is necessary to make this a real test of your soul?

Leave the State out of this decision. Render unto Caesar, etc.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speaking Truth to Power

Postby Shorty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 am

State lawmakers consider bill banning abortions
http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... /454965166

"Abortions would no longer be covered by health insurance plans for Wisconsin state employees under a Republican-backed bill being heard by a legislative committee."

Return to “National Politics & Government”