Future Dems Continue to Stream Across Southern Border

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Future Dems Continue to Stream Across Southern Border

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: Sure, feed them, bathe them and send them back to their parents just like Elian.

You do remember Elian, right?

You realize it took 3 years of legal wrangling to figure out what to do with Elian, right?

The 2008 law *guarantees* a long deportation process. The Republican Congress has not proposed a change to that law. Remember, you are all about obeying the law.

BTW, even with out the 2008 law, many of the Central American kids have legitimate cases to be treated as refugees fleeing violence. The right wing bumper stickers simply apply not at all.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:18 pm

I just saw a Republican congressman on TV. The talking point now is "no money for the crisis until the border is secured."

Oh, and he is complaining that Obama wants to do the job on the cheap by shifting some agents from the interior to the border. I guess that would leave the interior vulnerable to attempts to steal our precious bodily fluids.

Uhhh, we are in the insane zone. The bill that made it through the Senate offered something like $60B to secure the border, if memory serves. And frankly that was a giant joke and waste of money, it won't work. And now we can't deal with an glaring crisis until we "secure the border."

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Sandi wrote:The low ball estimate was 12M over a decade ago. Are you saying there has been no illegal immigrants since, or that they have been deported?

Actually, what people say today is "10 to 12 million." There was a net outflow for couple years, ya know, and inflow has been low.

I can work with the figure 20M, maybe that is right, don't know, don't care

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Sandi wrote:The low ball estimate was 12M over a decade ago. Are you saying there has been no illegal immigrants since, or that they have been deported?

Actually, what people say today is "10 to 12 million." There was a net outflow for couple years, ya know, and inflow has been low.

I can work with the figure 20M, maybe that is right, don't know, don't care

Hell, let's go with 30 million just to make sure we aren't low-balling it. That's 30 million people working at least as hard as Sandi and costing the taxpayers a hell of a lot less.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:27 pm

Sandi wrote:No, the problem is that neither Dems nor Repubs want to control the border, or anything else to limit immigration.

Israel tried to control a stinking 60 mile stretch of border between Gaza and Egypt. They tried really, really hard, massive surveillance. Couldn't put a dent in smuggling. Tunnels work.

How are we ever going to beat smugglers along a 2000 mile border?

The idiot Republicans are repeating that a double fence has cut down on border incursions by 90% where it has been tried. What is wrong with this picture? The smugglers merely move to the most vulnerable point. And if they have to build a tunnel under a double fence, whoopie doo.

BTW, how have attempts to control drug smuggling worked?

Some border security is well worth it, you cut down on the rate. Thinking you can "secure the border" is just insane.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Y'all have more excuses than my old red bone ( coon dog ) had fleas.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Sandi wrote:Y'all have more excuses than my old red bone ( coon dog ) had fleas.

What is your solution to the problem (besides hating on Obama)? Specifics, please. And no excuses.

Your turn.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:41 pm

What I noticed when I canvassed to register future voters is that the last thing someone here illegally wants to do is give their name to anyone or anything related to the Government.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Governor Perry requested from Obama that National Guard troops (or additional border patrols) be placed right on the borderline, rather than back hundreds of yards.

Perry seems to be under the delusion that armed men are going to physically prevent central american migrants from stepping on U.S. soil, perhaps with fixed bayonets. I am sure that conservatives online have a similar image in their mind, that "militarizing the border" will be like turning away an invading army, or a football team protecting the goal line.

I heard Senator Tom Coburn today say that the immigration crisis can be solved in 72 hours with just tens of millions of dollars. Just put the immigrants on planes.

How can we hope to solve problems when the public is getting such deeply ignorant information from their leaders?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Huckleby wrote:Governor Perry requested from Obama that National Guard troops (or additional border patrols) be placed right on the borderline, rather than back hundreds of yards.

I hope the Guard brings their waders. Anyone know how deep the Rio Grande gets in the summer?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:43 pm

About three inches, if there's any water at all.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:54 pm

I looked into this now critical issue. The water has shared ownership by Mexico and U.S. There are lots of Islands, they sometimes change nationality, but are roughly evenly divided. Also, the river changes course over the years, Mexico and U.S. swap parcels of land to compensate, so there is U.S. territory on other side of river.

Probably the only safe policy is to shoot to kill anything that moves that is darker than a paper bag.

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Huckleby wrote:Probably the only safe policy is to shoot to kill anything that moves that is darker than a paper bag.

Or maybe a sheet.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Rick Perry introduced a new catchphrase, something like "defend, don't apprehend." I don't expect it will fly because the underlying idea is so embarrassingly naive.

A lot of well-meaning pundits are saying that Obama should make an appearance at border to show commitment, leadership, broadcast his policy. Maybe so.

The reason Republicans are demanding he appear at border is not about leadership or a solution. They want photographs of Obama standing next to chaos, or bitching border patrols, so they can focus blame on Obama, make it his crisis, his Katrina moment.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Huckleby wrote:The reason Republicans are demanding he appear at border is not about leadership or a solution. They want photographs of Obama standing next to chaos, or bitching border patrols, so they can focus blame on Obama, make it his crisis, his Katrina moment.

Not hardly comparable at all. just a couple important differences.

First of all, as Popular Mechanics documented, the response to Hurricane Katrina was the largest and the fastest response to any natural disaster in history.

Second, Bush didn't cause Katrina.

Return to “National Politics & Government”