Is Hillary too old?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is Hillary too old?

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 20, 2014 2:31 pm

pjbogart wrote:Sanders/Warren 2016. They'd probably lose, but at least I'd cast my vote with pride.

Ya, but imagine what the Supreme Court will look like for the next 20 years if Republicans win in 2016.

Hillary has had an unfathomable amount of travel and stress since 1990. I can't imagine she will be a young 69, and I wonder if she will run.

Dems desperately need a viable plan B.

Gentle Man
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gentle Man » Tue May 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Gentle Man wrote: Racism isn't acceptable, but ageism is?

Yes. 30-year olds are discriminated against, they aren't allowed to run for president.

Reagan was slowing down his second term, he had his bad days. Being older carries extra risks.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/politi ... _from.html

Look at Robert Byrd as an old man in office, that was absurd.

Voters have legitimate reasons to consider age.

There are age minimums for Congressional office and President and Vice President, but not age maximums. Why do you suppose that is the case? Those minimums are legal because they're part of the law. Voters have legitimate reasons to consider one's performance in office, but performance and age aren't identical things, nor are they necessarily connected.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue May 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:You didn't think at the time or you don't think now?
I had the verb tense correct. Now you're making me tense - grammar arguments bring out my mean streak.

I was thinking about the elections that brought a new party to power.

Sorry, was asking more for clarity. I don't really recall what the political mood was at the time of Reagan's first election, other than having a child's disapproval of Carter for what were completely personal reasons.

Hindsight and a better understanding of politics now make me wonder why you would have thought Reagan was a weaker candidate than Carter (or perhaps you don't?).

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue May 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Gentle Man wrote:There are age minimums for Congressional office and President and Vice President, but not age maximums. Why do you suppose that is the case? Those minimums are legal because they're part of the law.

I'm pretty sure voters can legitimately consider a candidate's age if they want. I'm guessing a maximum age probably was less of an issue at a time when the average life expectancy was significantly shorter.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 pm

I thought Reagan was nutty, he had a track record of some extreme sound bites. Of course I didn't follow politics that much, but Dems thought he was unelectible.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Huckleby wrote:Joe Biden? No thank you.
I would hope you'd automatically reject Biden, since you're seemingly dismissing Clinton based solely on her age. Biden, after all, is already 3 years older than Hillary would be at her inauguration.

{Not directed at Huck, just tossing it out there.}Do we think voters have different standards for age-based voting depending on gender? And given that women generally outlive men, should women be given a little more leeway?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 20, 2014 3:41 pm

article addressing life expectancy
http://www.nationaljournal.com/white-ho ... s-20140423

I am OK with Hillary @69, since I don't see alternative now

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Huckleby wrote:I thought Reagan was nutty, he had a track record of some extreme sound bites. Of course I didn't follow politics that much, but Dems thought he was unelectible.

As opposed to this guy who Democrats think is unelectable, but you think would make a swell candidate?

GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?

Marco Rubio: I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Rubio did make a fool out himself there, but not to the Republican base.

I think Rubio is a good politician, he's plenty smart, plenty slippery normally, has some charm.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Huckleby wrote:Rubio did make a fool out himself there, but not to the Republican base.

I think Rubio is a good politician, he's plenty smart, plenty slippery normally, has some charm.

You're doing a terrible job trying to explain why Rubio is a more attractive candidate than Reagan was.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 20, 2014 6:15 pm

I can't compare them, other than to say that Reagan too had serious flaws going into 1980, as perceived by Democrats. I see Rubio has some strengths and should not be dismissed. That is the extent of my opinion.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Rubio ain't going anywhere. That father of his is on tape saying the nuttiest things, and the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. The instability of the father is visited upon the son.

Also, there's a question about his ability to satisfy the Constitutional requirement of being a natural born citizen.

http://cdrkerchner.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... -sep-1975/

He's toast if the base finds out.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:22 am

Oh, goodie! Let's see Donald Trump ask to see his birth certificate (sweet to envision him say,"I don't know if he was born in Cuba or what!) and school transcripts!

It would be fun to see Bill as the First Man 8)

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed May 21, 2014 8:07 am

Huckleby wrote:
wack wak wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Rubio, Christy, maybe Scott Walker, other governors.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were setting up a joke.

Turn off the national media, Huck; these are not viable candidates. Seriously.

I did not think Ronald Reagan or George Bush II were strong candidates when they ran. (And GB nearly won in 2000!)

The country tends to turn against the party in power, especially after an 8-year term. Things are not all that great in the economy.

Maybe Christy is a viable candidate. Maybe. The other two, not at all. Not even close. Have you ever watched and listened to Marco Rubio speak, or do you only know what the media says about him? Seriously, he makes Sarah Palin seem hip and aware. And Walker? It's only because you live in Wisconsin that you even know his name.

Regarding the economy, climbing from Death Valley to sea level is quite an accomplishment.... especially when it also requires running an endless gauntlet laid down by the party not in power. I'm not ready to believe that America is so stupid that it doesn't see this.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 21, 2014 9:30 am

Huckleby wrote:
wack wak wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Rubio, Christy, maybe Scott Walker, other governors.

I did not think Ronald Reagan or George Bush II were strong candidates when they ran. (And GB nearly won in 2000!)

The country tends to turn against the party in power, especially after an 8-year term. Things are not all that great in the economy.

Regarding the economy, climbing from Death Valley to sea level is quite an accomplishment.... especially when it also requires running an endless gauntlet laid down by the party not in power. I'm not ready to believe that America is so stupid that it doesn't see this.

Reminds me of a very brief Saturday Night Live bit from the 70's.
"President Ronald Reagan. Think about it."
It was a joke then. A few years later, not so much. If America is not stupid, how do you explain the way our government has functioned lately? Who chose Ron Johnson over Russ Feingold, smart people?

Return to “National Politics & Government”