Dec. 1: Is The ACA Website Fixed?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dec. 1: Is The ACA Website Fixed?

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Bland,
You are back!
I am sorry to have reckoned you as someone who has passed.
My bad.
It is good, to me, to hear your voice.
MH

makmadison
Forum Addict

Postby makmadison » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I can get a quote ..... at least 4 times as much as I currently pay. I hope my employer has my plan next year.

MK

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 pm

makmadison wrote:I can get a quote ..... at least 4 times as much as I currently pay. I hope my employer has my plan next year.

MK

That's amazing. I think there may be some conspiracy where Obama is ordering insurance companies to quadruple the premiums of all Republicans. You didn't have your deductible raised to $20k did you? It seems that most Republicans have had their deductible raised to irrational levels as well.

Perhaps Darrell Issa could get to the bottom of this with some investigations. Why are Democrats like myself getting modest, $16/month premium increases with no change to deductibles or copays and Republicans are seeing their premiums quadruple with skyrocketing deductibles? We really need to figure out why insurance companies are treating Democrats and Republicans so differently.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:51 pm

makmadison wrote:I can get a quote ..... at least 4 times as much as I currently pay. I hope my employer has my plan next year.

MK

Except, you aren't currently paying the entire premium, are you? How does the cost compare to what you and your employer pay collectively?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:53 pm

Do you currently have a policy from the individual market that you are comparing?

I know you hate Obama, so I wonder if your report might be a bit skewed.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 am

Huckleby wrote:Why do you not count the expansion of medicaid to people who need it as a good thing?

Who said I didn't? I don't think I have ever talked about it one way or the other.

All I did was ask how many Americans have been able to get insurance through Obamacare. Much of the time they roll new medicare enrollees into that to get a bigger, but still pretty small, total.

I take it by your answer that you either won't or can't address the pitifully small number who have actually gotten insurance so far.

Why do you hate poor and low income Americans?

Strange question coming from a Madisonian.

There is plenty of time, relax.

Not for the millions of people who are losing their insurance Dec 31. They have about 2 weeks. If not signed up and paid by Dec 15-20, there will not be time to get them covered by Jan 1.

But I guess you've still got your insurance so fuck 'em, right?

John Henry

The individual mandate doesn't even really start until the third year when the penalties bump up to about $800.[/quote]

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:47 am

johnfajardohenry wrote: All I did was ask how many Americans have been able to get insurance through Obamacare. Much of the time they roll new medicare enrollees into that to get a bigger, but still pretty small, total.

Medicaid expansion is Obamacare. It is the primary way envisioned to expand health coverage.

johnfajardohenry wrote:Not for the millions of people who are losing their insurance Dec 31. They have about 2 weeks. If not signed up and paid by Dec 15-20, there will not be time to get them covered by Jan 1.

One more time: there are no, zero, nada people who are unable to enroll in private insurance for January 1. If they don't enroll for January 1, that is their choice. Are you against personal responsibility? The website will do the job. Or they can choose a plan online, and do the final application by calling the insurance company and getting forms. This is a phony crisis manufactured by propagandists like Theissen.

johnfajardohenry wrote:But I guess you've still got your insurance so fuck 'em, right?

It's amazing to me the chutzpah of conservatives who pretend to care about people for political advantage, when they've turned their back on tens of millions from the start of this reform debate.
There are about 50 million people with no health insurance, and the reality is that health insurance is necessary for the non-wealthy to get decent access to care.
Obamacare was projected to bring 30M into the tent.
The Republican proposals scored by the CBO added coverage to about 3M.

The rhetorical plan from conservatives: "allow insurance across state lines, tort reform, shoppers will drive-down the costs, which will then expand coverage to the poor."
This is completely implausible nonsense, and reflects the utter indifference of conservatives towards others.

Oh, and the conservative plan for the sick and uninsurable: high risk pools. High risk pools have already been tried for 40 years, they fail to deliver for less wealthy people because of inadequate funding. High Risk Pools are a way for Republicans to rhetorically pretend to care about other people, and they know it will be easy politically to not follow through on paying for it.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 pm

State sep. Julie Lassa lit into Gov. Walker and the GOP over health care:

State senator Julie Lassa wrote:Along with refusing to set up a state exchange, the Governor chose to reject federal funding for the expansion of Medicaid. And the administration has not taken advantage of the ACA’s provisions that allow the state to prevent insurance companies from increasing rates. The result is that fewer Wisconsinites are being covered and those who are will be paying much higher rates.

Our neighbors in Minnesota went in the exact opposite direction, and chose to implement the ACA the way it was designed. As a result, health care premiums in Minnesota are between 25 and 35 percent lower than in Wisconsin, despite the fact that per capita health care costs are basically the same in both states. Thousands of Minnesotans have enrolled in coverage through their state-run exchange, as compared with only a few hundred in Wisconsin using the federal website...

This situation wasn’t caused by Obamacare. It was created by a governor and a Republican majority in the Legislature whose ideological approach to health care made preventing the implementation of ACA more important than making sure people got coverage.

The problems with the federal website are being repaired, but Wisconsin’s health care coverage problems will be long lasting until our state government stops playing politics with the Affordable Care Act and starts taking the steps other states have taken to make affordable health care available to more of our citizens.

It's almost like Scott Walker is some kind of secret agent working for the State of Minnesota, with the mission of destroying Wisconsin to make Minnesota look good by comparison. Minnesota is leading Wisconsin by far in job creation, and now Minnesota's health care costs are looking to be a third lower than Wisconsin's.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 pm

So who will get blamed for this: the insurance companies? ( In Mondays Wapo)

The enrollment records for a significant portion of the Americans who have chosen health plans through the online federal insurance marketplace contain errors — generated by the computer system — that mean they might not get the coverage they’re expecting next month.

The errors cumulatively have affected roughly one-third of the people who have signed up for health plans since Oct. 1, according to two government and health-care industry officials. The White House disputed the figure but declined to provide its own.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Minnesota is truly a paradise. The streets are paved with gold. Gold! Milk and honey flow from ornate fountains on each and every block. Sweet music fills the soft air as blonde haired, blue-eyed maidens deliver trays of peeled grapes and artisan cheese.

Meanwhile, behind the Cheddar Curtain, all is bleak and gray and hopeless.

Damn you Scott Walker! Damn you!

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:11 pm

The Cheddar Curtain, especially after recent WI sports outcomes: http://youtu.be/E3SLLql5vPU?t=37s

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Kennedy sited "models for the industry"

http://huff.to/1eVNpEZ

So much for his credibility. And no Sandy, I don't run two bit forum software operations. Sorry.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Kennedy sited "models for the industry"

http://huff.to/1eVNpEZ

So much for his credibility. And no Sandy, I don't run two bit forum software operations. Sorry.

What has the article have to do with Kennedy?

Also I have no idea if you run any kind of a website, so your cheap shots are in vain.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Just wonderin' what Sandi will complain about the ACA once the website is up and running with little or no problems. I'm sure she'll find something. Haters gotta hate.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 pm

It's called credibility Sandi. He made claims about the security of those websites and they proved to be false. Get it now.

Return to “National Politics & Government”