Health care cost projections

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Health care cost projections

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:05 am

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1747969928

I think WSJ mostly gets the cost issues in perspective.

"CMS and the Congressional Budget Office attribute the general slowdown in health-care spending increases over the past decade to a variety of factors, including increased cost sharing in private health plans and a slower rate of introduction of new health technology. An Urban Institute analysis points to how the mix of health-care payers has shifted over the past decade toward lower-paying government programs providing a greater share of coverage (particularly Medicaid).

Still, the recession is recognized by objective analysts as the single largest driver of slowed health-care spending in recent years. Many who lost their jobs lost their health insurance. Tight on cash, they opted out of surgery, hospital visits and prescriptions."

I think Obamacare will control costs in long run, IMO, but its going to take many years to bear fruit. And it isn't Obamacare per se, Obamacare will simply nudge restructuring in health care delivery, most of work is being done by private sector.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:09 am

Rich Schultz wrote:Do you think those CEO's will make less under Obamacare?

Maybe over the long term, Obamacare will cap profits.

I suppose you think crony capitalism will keep the spigot wide open. I think the government has already demonstrated its ability to push back against insurers - the insurance lobbies actually turned against Obamacare in its final version during legislative process. They didn't like certain caps on their profit taking. (I forget the specifics, but as I remember it, the insurers can only spend 15% of premium dollars on administrative costs and profit taking.)

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 am

wack wack wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The European countries have tested and tuned their systems, a mix of private and public is needed, we should pay attention to their experiences.

Experience, indeed.

This applies to everything, not just health care, and includes our own national experience as well as those of other nations. We largely ignore history and thus keep repeating mistakes.

For some reason in America, it is better to be true than to be honest.

....or to be pawns for more of the same

Return to “National Politics & Government”