51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Funding

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 51% Favor Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Fundi

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 am

"President Barack Obama has "full confidence" in Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius despite the troubled launch of the U.S. government website for signing up for his signature healthcare insurance program, the White House said on Tuesday."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/15/us-usa-healthcare-sebelius-idUSBRE99E0VS20131015

"“If Apple launched a major new product that functioned as badly as ObamaCare’s online insurance marketplace, the tech world would be calling for [CEO] Tim Cook’s head.”

That searing indictment of Obamacare didn’t come from a conservative. Those were the words of the Washington Post’s Ezra Klein — yes, liberal Ezra Klein —and Evan Soltas in a blog post on Oct. 4, just three days after the online Obamacare marketplace opened. They were right.

Now, two full weeks since its launch, the website healthcare.gov still isn’t functioning. One CNN reporter began trying to sign up on Oct. 1. As of the morning of Oct. 14, she still hadn’t been able to. A researcher who works for the New York Times has tried and failed to sign up for Obamacare 40 times since the website launched. But the Obama administration continues making excuses for Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and the people who spent hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars on a site that does not work.

How much more money will her department waste — and how much time will Americans waste on the website — before the administration admits they have a problem? In a business, someone would be held accountable for such a large-scale disaster."
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/its-time-to-fire-secretary-sebelius-98320.html?hp=r2

Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby Talon Newsman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:33 am

It's OK, Rich, I've got this one for you:

Rich Schultz wrote:Try this

Like many people interviewed for this article snoqueen was supposed to go to the Opinion page where some supporters of the Affordable Care Act worry your New York Time link does not work.

FWIW your link apparently my link
has deeply embarrassed
the flaws in the system said an insurance executive who has participated in many conference calls

See? That's how it works on the front page

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:12 am

Rich Schultz wrote:"President Barack Obama has "full confidence" in Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius despite the troubled launch of the U.S. government website for signing up for his signature healthcare insurance program, the White House said on Tuesday."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/15/us-usa-healthcare-sebelius-idUSBRE99E0VS20131015

"“If Apple launched a major new product that functioned as badly as ObamaCare’s online insurance marketplace, the tech world would be calling for [CEO] Tim Cook’s head.”

Except the difference at Apple is a whole division of the company (Congress) wouldn't have been working against the roll-out of a new product. They would have been helping to make sure the product was the best possible that could be made.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:34 am

HawkHead wrote:Except the difference at Apple is a whole division of the company (Congress) wouldn't have been working against the roll-out of a new product.

From Rich's NY times article:

The Republican-controlled House blocked funds. More than 30 states refused to set up their own exchanges, requiring the federal government to vastly expand its project in unexpected ways.

I don't think I've ever seen such a controlled effort to sabotage a law.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 am

Stebben84 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen such a controlled effort to sabotage a law.

How's that border fence coming along?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 am

Rich Schultz wrote:How's that border fence coming along?

Border security and deportations have been up sharply since Obama got in office.

It's true that the sea-to-shining-sea attempt to "seal" the border has only been talked about, nothing done. But that is because most Republicans know it is a wasteful, psychotic idea, and they only talk about it to thrill the buffoons in their base. It will forever be just talk because on a practical level it is colossally stupid.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:35 am

Huckleby wrote:It will forever be just talk because on a practical level it is colossally stupid.

Hence the appeal for Rich Schultz. Like attracts like.

autobrew

Postby autobrew » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:47 am

My experience:

I was really curious about a lot of people's claims that premiums would go way up or way down, and that the system is a complete failure, so I figured I would just try it out for myself.

I tried to access healthcare.gov on the day that it opened. I wasn't terribly surprised that it didn't work immediately. I tried again a week later and was able to make an account, but wasn't able to actually log in. I tried again last weekend and was able to log in, enter my info, and actually browse the plans. So it does appear that things are improving.

Since I was actually able to browse the plans, I'll just share what I had available to me. There were 85 plans to choose from. My monthly premiums for a Bronze-level plan would be about $175, and the most expensive Platinum plan would be $505.

To compare that to what "I" currently pay, I looked at my pay stub. The monthly total of my health care contribution and my employer contribution is $618. So it seems the rates on the exchange are quite good.

Granted, the plural of anecdote is not data, and everyone has their own unique situation, but at least now I have some numbers to use when someone tries to tell me that these plans are more expensive and will cause premiums to go up. At least for me, that's not the case.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/14/opini ... billkeller

That should work. It's well worth the time.

Paragraph 2 is the one I quoted.

And now we have two forum anecdotes showing favorable results on the exchange. No negative ones so far.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 am

Rich Schultz wrote:"The growing national outcry has deeply embarrassed the White House, which has refused to say how many people have enrolled through the federal exchange.

Where is this "national outcry," other than in op-ed pieces by sore losers?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:35 pm

There is no general outcry, but certainly the fact that the Dems released such an important website without testing it is an embarrassment for liberals such as myself. Why did the state-based websites work comparitively well? They were essentially implementing the same task.

Well, there are many explanations, it's not just one answer. But the biggest cause was poor management in Federal government. Lousy communication, everyone telling each other CYA lies. I'm including the 55 contractors as part of the "federal government."

It's not going to stop Obamacare, but some ideological points have been scored by advocates for small government at federal level.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:43 pm

A few days ago, I was put in line to enter the website. I just gave it a shot today and had no issues, so I'm not too concerned about it's backlash.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Let us know how you come out. It'd be interesting if we found half a dozen applicants right on this forum who found Obamacare to be beneficial. People who found their results not-beneficial should also report, so readers can compare and see how well the thing works in reality.

Return to “National Politics & Government”